Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 12:01 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,319 times

Advertisements

I'm refurbishing a 9 1/2 RD 1977 Coachman slide-in camper. I'd like to take it on the road but I have no idea how much it weighs.

Can I tow the camper on a trailer?

TYIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 08:35 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
There are quite a few folks that tow a truck camper on a trailer around here. Just secure some fashion of tie downs and make sure the trailer can handle the weight.

As far as weight? Best thing to do is take it to a scale. There should be a metal plate riveted to the camper that has all the specs including weight. That's been a reg for a looong time. However I wouldn't trust the claimed weight. Get it to a scale.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
~2500# wet weight

Don't even think of putting this beast on a 1/2t pickup (F-150 or similar). Dually with overload springs and very beefy sway bars is a good start. But slide-in campers are very top heavy, needing stiff chassis.

If on a trailer, I would insist on a LOW tandem axle for better weight distribution, tracking, handling. (And a free accompanying deck! Cargo area for motorcycle, small car, bikes...tools...

https://www.glen-l.com/glen-l-rv-plans/

Old 09-08-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
There are quite a few folks that tow a truck camper on a trailer around here. Just secure some fashion of tie downs and make sure the trailer can handle the weight.

As far as weight? Best thing to do is take it to a scale. There should be a metal plate riveted to the camper that has all the specs including weight. That's been a reg for a looong time. However I wouldn't trust the claimed weight. Get it to a scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
~2500# wet weight

Don't even think of putting this beast on a 1/2t pickup (F-150 or similar). Dually with overload springs and very beefy sway bars is a good start. But slide-in campers are very top heavy, needing stiff chassis.

If on a trailer, I would insist on a LOW tandem axle for better weight distribution, tracking, handling. (And a free accompanying deck! Cargo area for motorcycle, small car, bikes...tools...

https://www.glen-l.com/glen-l-rv-plans/
Thank you!

I have a tandem axel dump trailer that can handle 3500lbs, and a GMC Sierra 2500 long bed. The camper fits on the truck but it's obviously carrying a heavy load. I don't want to get out on the freeway to take it to the scale until I know it's safe.

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Old 09-08-2021, 02:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I am a bit biased, having been a CDL driver in Wyoming and finding a lot of overhead campers on their sides (often with kids riding in the overhead (pre-seatbelt laws).

Your 2500 will handle the camper for a weight check, but I would be careful doing a cross country / or driving in high winds.

Sounds like you are equipped one way or the other.

Be safe.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am a bit biased, having been a CDL driver in Wyoming and finding a lot of overhead campers on their sides (often with kids riding in the overhead (pre-seatbelt laws).

Your 2500 will handle the camper for a weight check, but I would be careful doing a cross country / or driving in high winds.

Sounds like you are equipped one way or the other.

Be safe.
I appreciate your willingness to share your insight. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing