Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 AM

1,438 posts, read 734,583 times

Advertisements

Basically much of the tech I see in builds on youtube I know either did not exist 15 years ago or was much more expensive. as a camper I know how much of the common gear people now view as basics was only affordable to upper middleclass weekend campers/hunters, Let be real most of the stuff to turn your van or RV into a home was not designed for that, it was made for upper middleclass weekend outdoorsmen who wanted to bring their families along.

We live in a time where an average person with an amazon prime account and directions to the nearest home Depot can over time turn a van or camper trailer into a small efficiency apartment with a cheap plasma screen, slingTV account and a mobile hotspot you now have cable, smartphones have gotten cheap enough that homeless people have them all with GPS and access to a million other useful apps for traveling.

When I was taking roadtrips for weeks at a time in my 20's(early 90's) I was out of touch with everyone between payphones and listened to the radio and the same five tapes over and over as my only entertainment between destinations lol I also spent a lot of time on the side of the road trying to figure out where I was on a fold out map lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 07:22 PM

Infact technology may even be those only reason some part timers are willing to do it.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Once a local man I spoke with on internet,he has been living in his van for too long and long for a real homecook meal !like roast beef ,mash potato,green beans on china plates and a glass of milk on a dining table in a home ,not a van

Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Once a local man I spoke with on internet,he has been living in his van for too long and long for a real homecook meal !like roast beef ,mash potato,green beans on china plates and a glass of milk on a dining table in a home ,not a van
How does that make the food any different?

Old 03-02-2021, 08:43 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
If i lived in a van or suv, i would bring a slow cooker/crock pot. Then i could stay in a utility hookup campsite every so often, to make a nice meal in the slow cooker. Like, a beef roast or pork roast.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
How does that make the food any different?
Not having a freezer or room in the fridge for a 'real meal' is my challenge when on the road for extended time.

Dining room table and a big countertop only happens while traveling when I am in international guest homes or hostelling. Often the hosts let us cook a batch of stuff to take with.

Sometimes it's just nice to be at home in your big kitchen.

Cooking and eating while van living is not my favorite thing either.
FT RV friends do a lot of dutch oven cooking, but I tend to travel daily and not hang around campsites long enough for dutch oven meals. Plus I travel very light.

Old 03-03-2021, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not having a freezer or room in the fridge for a 'real meal' is my challenge when on the road for extended time.

Dining room table and a big countertop only happens while traveling when I am in international guest homes or hostelling. Often the hosts let us cook a batch of stuff to take with.

FT RV friends do a lot of dutch oven cooking, but I tend to travel daily and not hang around campsites long enough for dutch oven meals. Plus I travel very light.
How big do you like your meals to be those small refrigerators hold a few weeks worth of food.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
For meals, it's the 20# turkey and all the trimmings and side dishes with a lot of choices for dessert!
While many folks just do that at thanksgiving, I practice that meal often.

I'm a Farm kid... I prefer to butcher the whole beef or sow, and be able to take my choice of cut any day.

We had 3 chest freezers, always full. Each was about as big as the space in my van. The walk-in cellar held about as much preserved food as a delivery truck.

Usually I travel via Motorcycle or 52 mpg VW Station wagon, so I'm used to tight spaces and limited storage. but... that cramps my style, and have had my term at 'van life', age 16 and 17 I had to live in my plywood camper on my 1949 Dodge pickup. It was in Colorado, so plenty cold. (And a good reason to have 3 jobs + school to get warm once in a while.)

Old 03-05-2021, 07:54 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Um how about a restaurant? There still are some home cooking places out there.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:09 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

This is my biggest headache. If we have full hook up not bad, then you can use small appliances like immersion cooker or insta pot.

But if we will be without full hook up (which is most of our travel), I bring pre-prepared meals from home. Anytime I make soup or stews, or DH smokes meat, etc. leftovers go in seal a meal bags and they get taken on our trips. Also things like carrot cake, breakfast casseroles, etc.

Then we only need to use the oven or stove top which is super easy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing