Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 03:31 PM

899 posts, read 670,729 times

Advertisements

Wife and I would like to load up an RV and drive all over the country, possibly as a gap year or possibly for retirement.

We had a campervan and were staying at a state park. The ranger there chatted us up. Seeing that we were total novices at camping, he said we should be really careful. "Do you carry a gun?" he asked us. A sign at the entrance clearly stated that no firearms were allowed in the park. I thought, 'Is this a trick?' When we told him we don't, he said we better get one. He himself carried. Lots of weirdos out there, he said.

If you do carry, what do you do when you cross state lines? What sorts of advice would you have, pro or con? Here in Texas I guess we just got "constitutional carry," which means no license and no training required...but I'm sure the state you're visiting has the prevailing statutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 04:00 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Wife and I would like to load up an RV and drive all over the country, possibly as a gap year or possibly for retirement.

We had a campervan and were staying at a state park. The ranger there chatted us up. Seeing that we were total novices at camping, he said we should be really careful. "Do you carry a gun?" he asked us. A sign at the entrance clearly stated that no firearms were allowed in the park. I thought, 'Is this a trick?' When we told him we don't, he said we better get one. He himself carried. Lots of weirdos out there, he said.

If you do carry, what do you do when you cross state lines? What sorts of advice would you have, pro or con? Here in Texas I guess we just got "constitutional carry," which means no license and no training required...but I'm sure the state you're visiting has the prevailing statutes.
Where was this state park?

Old 06-25-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Where was this state park?
Louisiana

Old 06-25-2021, 05:49 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,041,475 times
bear spray. you don't need a gun, and bear spray is more effective.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
I carry a gun, or multiple guns. It is something I don’t advertise when I’m out and about.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I carry a gun, or multiple guns. It is something I don’t advertise when I’m out and about.
We know a married couple who both have concealed carry permits. They're usually carrying---even when he's walking the dogs or when they're at church.

He told us that one evening they were returning home when a pack of motorcycles appeared. The motorcycles would pull in front and slow down or pull alongside, gunning their engines. It was abundantly clear that they were messing with him. I asked if he let them know he had a gun so they'd leave him alone and he said no. I suppose if he showed his weapon, that could be looked upon as a threat, giving the bikers reason to pull out their guns and shoot or whatever.

I'd need a lot of training and practice, I'm sure. I probably would have lost my cool.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
We know a married couple who both have concealed carry permits. ...

He told us that one evening they were returning home when a pack of motorcycles appeared. The motorcycles would pull in front and slow down or pull alongside, gunning their engines. It was abundantly clear that they were messing with him. ... I probably would have lost my cool.
I probably would have lost my cool

Don't carry! Prison is not the place to get free healthcare (so my Dr tells me)

I have many friends who carry, but I don't. They usually get permit from UT or similar, as apparently they have more reciprocity to other states. Most are LDS anyway, so they have connections in UT anyway.

Canada and National Parks could be an issue.
Worse would be if you had to use weapon for self defense. There are a lot of quacks, and I can see where having a weapon on board RV could be very important and useful (only if you don't EVER lose your cool!). EVERY camp host I have talked to has had to get a CWP due to 'visitors', not campers.

Wouldn't mind having a really convincing BIG BARK noise maker. With serious growling and rumbling of the RV.

Old 06-26-2021, 12:29 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,943,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Using bear spray on a human may get you into a hornet's nest of legal problems.

Old 06-26-2021, 04:08 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Using bear spray on a human may get you into a hornet's nest of legal problems.
If you are being attacked, I don't think using bear spray would get a person in too much trouble. I kind of like the idea and you could have it in a pouch on your belt all the time whereas most states won't allow a gun in a holster.

Then again, carrying mace might be a better solution.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:21 AM

1,414 posts, read 750,845 times
We spend months at at time traveling in our camper.

If I were carrying a gun across various state lines, I would.

1. Conceal it carefully and keep it that way except in the most dire of circumstances.

2. Not tell anyone - ever - that I had it, even on forums or social media.

3. There is no 3.

Along with that, I would accept the possibility that my gun will possibly get me busted somewhere far from home on a weapons law violation, which brings me back to points 1 and 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing