Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:16 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there
We are stumped ; we want to sell our 2006 fifth wheeler, tried craigslist, tried e-bay,posted ads in our campground etc nothing at all.

We are located in NEPA and would be thrilled if someone can give us any advice or any areas we could list it and sell it.

Thanks
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:27 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
It's probably the economy.

Barring that, the best time to sell is at the beginning of the season, not the end!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Have you tried something like the RV trader online? I used it when selling one of mine a few years back. Can't remember the exact on line address but I did get a bunch of responses. Not all where local. Just a thought.

And it's always the season somewhere. ha ha

Old 09-14-2009, 12:36 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
This isn't the best time of the year, of course. Online ads demand good descriptions, great photographs, and a competitive price to be effective. I see so many camper ads with horrible pictures, it sometimes makes me wonder why pictures were used at all. If you can't get the great photos yourself, it might be worth it to pay a professional to take some.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
This isn't the best time of the year, of course. Online ads demand good descriptions, great photographs, and a competitive price to be effective. I see so many camper ads with horrible pictures, it sometimes makes me wonder why pictures were used at all. If you can't get the great photos yourself, it might be worth it to pay a professional to take some.
Here's a tip: take your inside pictures at night. The daylight glare coming through the windows makes it impossible to see details.
"how do I know? I just do"

Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM

Thanks. I jsut put an ad in rv trader. Yes, it is a bad time of the year ; hopefully someone somewhere is looking for what we have. thanks for the hints.

Thanks
d

Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Here's a tip: take your inside pictures at night. The daylight glare coming through the windows makes it impossible to see details.
"how do I know? I just do"
Even better than night are rainy/overcast days, when there's light outside, but it's a low light level with no direct sun. Photos at dusk or dawn work fine too, as long as it's still dim light outside and the sun isn't shining directly into any windows.

And watch out for mirrors. And personal "stuff" that we all have in our campers. Shoes and papers stacked in the corner may not look bad to anyone, but in a photo that kind of thing looks trashy. If you still have your original bedspread, use it.

Some problems are directly related to consumer grade cameras. It's usually better not to use direct flash, as it'll make the distant walls dark. And you must use a wide-angle lens. Most digital point-n-shoot cameras have zoom lenses that are sadly lacking at the wide end. Use something with a (35mm equivalent of) 28mm or wider, even if you have to borrow one -- or hire it done.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:19 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
All great suggestions, folks, but one more popped immediately to mind:

Price.

If you truly want to sell something quickly, then price it sell and resist the temptation to try and squeeze the last nickel out of it.

I know of one RV which has been listed since the beginning of July, but was over-priced by thousands. The owners have now reduced it to where they should have listed it to begin with, but many of the prospects in their marketing area have already been and gone.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
All great suggestions, folks, but one more popped immediately to mind:

Price.

If you truly want to sell something quickly, then price it sell and resist the temptation to try and squeeze the last nickel out of it.

I know of one RV which has been listed since the beginning of July, but was over-priced by thousands. The owners have now reduced it to where they should have listed it to begin with, but many of the prospects in their marketing area have already been and gone.
Very true. Three years ago we priced a motorhome that's parked across from our camper in the storage lot. It's owned by an older lady whose husband died and she no longer uses it. Now instead of it being seven years old it's 10 years old and has been sitting unused for three+ years. Her asking price at the time was a little high; the same price now would be WAY high. It's sad to see it sitting there, rotting....

Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 PM

We have it priced $5000 below what the lowest price of the blue book. So I think its ok. Is in very good condition ; only been used for 1 1/2 seasons.

Thanks
d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing