Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
edu93:yeah you know it,australia seems cool,but its very hot there,i prefer the cold,but here doenst snow,i think the clima there must be shocking,

cold canada: maybe you right,but i investigated all this,canada is simple a great country by statistics,human development index,quality life index,world peace index,economic index,developed countrys index,i am not making this up,canada is in almost good tops,seems pretty perfect dont you think eh?

i hope i had reply you all
Funny you should mention that,
I was thinking of leaving Canada for somewhere like Australia.
I think I would prefer an afternoon at +50 Celcius instead of -5 Celcius.
Toronto's cold isn't very crazy usually, but I often find our cold quite "yucky."
On our TV weather news, (The Weather Network) they were talking about a recent heatwave in Athens, Greece.
One day was 43 C/110 F degrees there and the newscasters asked each other would they consider being in Athens now?
Everyone responded "...No way!..."
And I'm thinking "...Ahem, you live somewhere that ALWAYS drops below -10 C/15 F every winter..."
(most people are not happy about < -10 C in Toronto )

Overall it's pretty decent, just giving you some warning it's not all perfect.
I have met just as many immigrants to Canada who found Canada disappointing, as those who found Canada better than where they were from.
Yes violent crime is rarer than in the USA, but there has been shootings downtown, midday where innocent bystanders were killed who were there, the day after Christmas for "Boxing Day Sales." We've had our share of crazy cults... just they don't usually take on the army like David Korresh did in Waco Texas.

Positives?
I just learned recently that many believe the Canadian work environment is generally more relaxed than American work environments. (office attitudes)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-19-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:48 AM

57 posts, read 47,955 times
are you really leaving canada for australia?how old are you?where you from there?

yeah i know it's pretty cold up there,but like i said,i really dont like the heat and the summers here have been pretty bad,much fault of the global warming,the weather is getting kinda of crazy here,don't know about there,but are days that rains pretty bad on the summer,from nothing,and on the summer one day or night get's really chilli,10 years ago this didn't happened,and cold here is like 5ºC,or 0ºC,it's rare getting below 0

on the other stuff i know it's not perfect,but i have to take a chance,but i think that country really suits me well,i am a man of the peace,refuse to go to the states because i refuse to get shot by some crackhead after a buck,i WON'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT

PS:i don't get many refereces you guys say,i had to google that waco thing XD
sorry by the bad english

Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
are you really leaving canada for australia?how old are you?where you from there?

yeah i know it's pretty cold up there,but like i said,i really dont like the heat and the summers here have been pretty bad,much fault of the global warming,the weather is getting kinda of crazy here,don't know about there,but are days that rains pretty bad on the summer,from nothing,and on the summer one day or night get's really chilli,10 years ago this didn't happened,and cold here is like 5ºC,or 0ºC,it's rare getting below 0

on the other stuff i know it's not perfect,but i have to take a chance,but i think that country really suits me well,i am a man of the peace,refuse to go to the states because i refuse to get shot by some crackhead after a buck,i WON'T GO DOWN LIKE THAT

PS:i don't get many refereces you guys say,i had to google that waco thing XD
sorry by the bad english
I hope to be.
I never liked cold. I love warmth, heat and I don't even mind sweating.
20's and near Toronto.

I'd probably prefer summers (and any season) in Portugal.
We can be hot and muggy, but Toronto summers are known to have variable temps;
ranging from a chilly day in early August, high of 12 C (cloudy and it never warmed after sunrise)
to days in the high 30's C with humidity ranging from 30-60%; once I saw 30 C at sunrise with 90% humidity!
Three-quarters of the time, "summer" in Toronto means 22-29 C days with 40-65% humidity.

Toronto's mildest winter on record still dropped to -14 C.
Usually we get between 5-15 days with highs well below -10 C,
and probably 20-40 days with highs of -5 C or colder.
It is rare for the wind to be calm, so usually the windchill adds another -5 C to -10 C.
Windchills? We normally get some windchills at -25 C or colder.

If you think Canada still suits you, go for it.

Yeah that Waco reference wasn't really important.
I was just giving an example of one of the more dramatic stories with American cults.
It happened sometime in the early 1990's I think.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-20-2010 at 07:22 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 07:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
after a lot of research i am thinking about ontario or british columbia,quebec seems to kinda suck(no ofense to anyone),no one seems to like it
Quebec doesn't really suck, it's just that this is an English-only forum so you tend to get mostly English-speaking Canadians and Americans here. Some of them do like Quebec, but some of them don't. Or at least they tend to prefer English-speaking areas of Canada like Ontario, BC or Alberta. Which is only normal.

June is actually Portuguese Heritage Month in my city (located in Quebec), which has a large Portuguese community:
http://www.casaportuguesa.ca/pdf/Calendario2010.pdf

Of course, you may not necessarily be interested in hanging out with Portuguese people if you move to Canada. I find there are two types of immigrants: those who seek out people from their country of origin AND those who want to integrate as quickly as possible and tend to try and avoid people from their ethnic group. Neither approach is necessarily better or worse.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Kobe if you get to Montreal send me a PM and i'll give you my phone number and help you out getting around the city.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM

57 posts, read 47,955 times
jambo101,i really aprecciate that,4 real,i once again research a lot,and in my position i dont think that i could live in toronto or vancouver too expensive,so i am thinking on going to montreal quebec,they say it's cheaper and has a lot of portuguese,yes,there's only 1 con,i don't speak any french,lol,can i speak english there or they send to a place where the sun doen's shine?
i think last time i spoke frech was in "high school",now i can say like 3 words,really god bless you jambonini

responding to acarjack,i knew about that i saw in the links that i thought you post here or in the other topic i created,i think i'm more the second type,but if i see a portuguese i won't avoid,i will talk with very pleasure,now explaining i think that the REAL portuguse are like 40's or 50's now,lolthere are a 2 generation of portuguse canadians who are mostly canadian,lol,so i wouldn't have must in comon with theme

Old 06-21-2010, 11:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
For everyday living you can get by with no French but your lack of French will be a handicap when looking to get a job..
Some of the larger cities on the east coast should also be in your search,Halifax NS Sydney NS, St John NB,Moncton NB and Fredericton NB.

Great soccer game

Last edited by jambo101; 08-17-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:

responding to acarjack,i knew about that i saw in the links that i thought you post here or in the other topic i created,i think i'm more the second type,but if i see a portuguese i won't avoid,i will talk with very pleasure,now explaining i think that the REAL portuguse are like 40's or 50's now,lolthere are a 2 generation of portuguse canadians who are mostly canadian,lol,so i wouldn't have must in comon with theme
I think that the Portuguese-born here are even older than 40s and 50s. And almost all of them are originally from the Açores...

True, they are mostly all integrated now, though many still speak Portuguese (generally as a second language).

They were all very happy with the 7-0 win this morning* though!

*It was morning in our time zone

Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For everyday living you can get by with no French but your lack of French will be a handicap when looking to get a job..
Jambo is right. Don't be too worried about using English but you should still have in your mind that you are going to have to learn French if you want to stay there long-term. Otherwise you will probably just get frustrated an angry in the long run and eventually move out of Montreal to somewhere else in Canada or the States. I have seen this happen to many people.

If you have ZERO intention to learn French, the best advice is probably not to move to Montreal. Since with no French at all there is a good chance you will end up in Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax, Calgary in a few years anyway, you may as well just move there right away rather than waste time.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
LOL

This is way too funny!
I love the tune - it's really catchy! It's one of the best amateur vids I've ever seen LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada