Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM

65 posts, read 38,310 times

Advertisements

i think canadians dress like europeans,seems like it,in stead americans who dress a lot of sports jerseys,college sweets and very casual clothing

spike hair,running shoes and 3/4 pants are so europe,it's seen much here,also preppy look,almost everyone in college here dresses like that,in my old school everyone dressed like that,it was a rich folks school

but there is a new style here that you guys don't have in america and hope you never have,it's called scum,seen a lot in england,france,portugal

Mobile Photobucket
http://images04.olx.pt/ui/1/42/25/8093725_2.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mSvE-QQiFR8/0.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
i think canadians dress like europeans,seems like it,in stead americans who dress a lot of sports jerseys,college sweets and very casual clothing

spike hair,running shoes and 3/4 pants are so europe,it's seen much here,also preppy look,almost everyone in college here dresses like that,in my old school everyone dressed like that,it was a rich folks school
Well alot of Canadians also wear sports clothes, etc...

The preppy look is not at all prevalent in Canada

I mean "Euro wannabe" in that some of the young people try to emulate the styles of Europe with their scarves, bohemian-flair, etc. but the "finishing touch" is just not there.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
It really depends on where you are in Canada. In most of Canada, you would probably find that people dress almost exactly the same as Americans in neighbouring states.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Well alot of Canadians also wear sports clothes, etc...

The preppy look is not at all prevalent in Canada

I mean "Euro wannabe" in that some of the young people try to emulate the styles of Europe with their scarves, bohemian-flair, etc. but the "finishing touch" is just not there.
OK. Well I see a lot of people to whom this might apply around where I live.

Not sure about Europeans necessarily having more "finishing touch", though. At least not these days.

Anyone who has been to Europe knows that the myth that all/most Europeans dress stylishly is just that... a myth. And one that is fading fast in my honest opinion.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM

the differences are not that big,we dress kind of similar,like you guys,jeans and t shirt is a constant,soccer jerseys,and many dudes in their 20's dress like the guys in jersey shore
it's always the same thing in kids,there are the surfer's/skaters dudes,preppy/nerdy type,rockers/alternative,even hip hopers kids,also casual and fashion guys,really isn't that different

Old 08-10-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
the differences are not that big,we dress kind of similar,like you guys,jeans and t shirt is a constant,soccer jerseys,and many dudes in their 20's dress like the guys in jersey shore
it's always the same thing in kids,there are the surfer's/skaters dudes,preppy/nerdy type,rockers/alternative,even hip hopers kids,also casual and fashion guys,really isn't that different
Where are you from?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:

but there is a new style here that you guys don't have in america and hope you never have,it's called scum,seen a lot in england,france,portugal

Mobile Photobucket
http://images04.olx.pt/ui/1/42/25/8093725_2.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/mSvE-QQiFR8/0.jpg
There was a guy who looked pretty much like this sitting across from me on the bus this morning.

In Quebec, these types of guys are known as Ginos. The name sounds Italian but they are usually not Italian at all. Their style has evolved over the decades but we still know a Gino when we see one. A Gino is even more recognizable because he usually has a faithful (or maybe not so faithful) female known as a "Ginette Spray-Net" by his side...

In my area, Ginos are also known by the local name "Joe Gatineau" or "Joe Gat".

Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM

i'm from portugal,but europe is pretty much the same with a few exceptions

about this guys if you're from montreal maybe this guys got the style from france,but i'm only speculating,lol,here they're know as "xungas" or scum

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post

I find Canadian youth dressing fall in the following categories:
- Euro-wannabe
- bohemian or artsy
- skater or on verge of grungy
- granola or overly outdoorish
- that annoying yoga-wear-type that is soooo annoying in Vancouver!
You forgot goth and emo.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i'm from portugal,but europe is pretty much the same with a few exceptions

about this guys if you're from montreal maybe this guys got the style from france,but i'm only speculating,lol,here they're know as "xungas" or scum
I have noticed that some of these people have had something of a "French rapper" look going on in Quebec, with more of a soccer-style than a basketball/American football style.

Of course, as these "looks" are getting more and more universal (and soccer style more popular on this side of the ocean), the difference isn't so great with the rest of North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada