Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
Canada 270 48.13%
United States 291 51.87%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
How would you get a job in the oil fields? My degree is worthless (aviation), but I'm only 24, so I'd be up for learning a new trade.
Apply with some of the Companies that do business in both Countries....like Shell, Chevron , BP , etc, along with Hallaburton.They are all hiring, expecially young people who do not mind working in the North ...in winter. Everyone flyes up North, Avation should be a good field, even for the oil related industries.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:19 PM

31 posts, read 57,487 times
I LIVE in Monteal, Québec and those who wants to immigrate in Québec (I don't know about the other provinces), let me tell you that coming on vacation and living here are two very different things!!!
I can tell you a lot about Québec!!! I agree that a lot of people are well educated so are a lot of the people in the U.S; yes we have good restaurants which is also true in the U.S; the political climate might be quiet but you don't know the downs of it; some people are nice and some aren't like everywhere else, and so on...
We are a neutral country and I appreciate that but hey! like someone said on the forum, the U.S gov should stick his nose in it's own business!!!
I don't hate Québec (I've been here 27 years) but life is expensive; there's not as much opportunities as in the U.S (I know it for a fact); medical care is not "free"; taxes are very high (13.5% province taxe); people abuse the system (welfare) like crazy and we, working citizens, are paying for that; VERY cold weather (minus 40F in Jan. and Feb. usually); a lot of snow, ice storms; VERY hard to find a primary physician if you don't have one already; waiting time of up to 36 hours in the ER; waiting list for some surgeries (and I'm not talking about minor surgeries or esthetical ones); some people are very rude (like everywhere else); don't expect to have money back from your taxes (YOU will have to pay the gov); 35-40% taxes from you paycheck; the average salary is about $2000 clear a month (even for a nurse with my experience I would do maybe $2500 clear a month and if you have a bachelor degree, you'll do just a little bit more); cloths-cars-furniture-FOOD are cheaper in the states (I know it also for a fact); and I could go on and on!!!
Don't think Canada is paradise and as I said, I don't hate it but believe me when I tell you that I know a lot of people who wish they could go back to their countries.

Last edited by bikramkat; 12-29-2010 at 04:06 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 06:55 PM

159 posts, read 577,102 times
I don't think there is a country that is a complete paradise, but if there are more pluses than minuses then one should be grateful to be living in such a country. I'm thankful to be living in Canada, even though I agree that things are quite expensive here. But the quality of life is amazing. I love the atmosphere here. I love the scenery. I love the country. Winters can be harsh, but it's part of Canada, so I accept it. Canada feels right for me.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
US....anyday, Quality of Life is good here yes, but the weather is not that great, I like the geographic diversity the US has to offer, I would probably move to FLA or California if I had the chance

Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 AM

22 posts, read 53,711 times
Quote:
There's just one problem - it's next to impossible to get Canadian permanent residency.

I applied for a work permit when I first moved here but was denied. I applied multiple times with my employer backing me each time. Denied, denied, denied.

I married a Canadian and had permanent residency within a year.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:14 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
I don't see why a Canadian would want to come here, except for the warm weather.
That's why so many buy property in AZ or FL when they retire. That's why so many still try and get visas to work down south, even with all the benefits that Canada has to offer.
Some people are just cold friendly, or warm friendly. I'm a hot man myself. I don't want anymore of this cold snow garbage....

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think wages are higher in Canada than the US for the same Jobs. That maybe related to some of the shortage of workers in Canada. Merchants are having a hard time finding service workers. I was told Tim Horton's were having to pay 20.00 an hour for flipping burgers ! ( In the energy producing areas, Alberta/BC/SK, NWT , etc)...... If you are young , and want to make some real money, go to Western Canada and make your fortune....NOW !
Yeah, if they served burgers...
But I do agree with you, I have heard of places that have to shut down because they cant find the help!

When you're young and in good health, are you going to work at Timmies, or go work in other industries for $100,000 +? It sucks for the rest of the people too, because all you want is a coffee and a bagel and it takes 20 minutes.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Basically I thnhi it depends on the person as to ewhich they would prefer. i certainly couldn't take the Canadian wether tho just lokig at the temperatures in winter.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:04 PM

613 posts, read 815,300 times
Personally, I can't take the heat. Once the temp reaches 35C (95F), I spend my life indoors with my beloved air conditioning. I would far rather face -40C than +40C. So even if I didn't love my country so, I would be stuck here, or in some other northern clime.

I think we are all blessed to live in either country.

There are probably only a dozen countries that live in such luxury and freedom.

We live in a privileged part of the world and in a privileged century.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM

11 posts, read 36,384 times
A confusing question. Both of them are great countries to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.