Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

Say, if the United States wanted to annex Canada and your government didn't want to, would you side with your government and fight back or join the United States and be an American?

So you have 2 options

1. You join the United States. You basically retain your lifestyle but you will now be called an American instead of a Canadian. You will be granted American citizenship, you will retain your healthcare if you want to, your pension, your pay, your job, and where you live. Your children will learn American and Canadian history plus pledge allegiance to the United States every morning in school. Or you will also be granted the opportunity to move anywhere in the United States and take advantage of what your new country has to offer.

2. Or you become a rebel and most possibly face imminent death and face this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1NbTZyvdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sDxvsbsnA

Last edited by Almeida93; 05-20-2014 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
So the original Americans STILL won't have universalized healthcare, but all the new ones do?

I still want nothing to do with Murica the graet politically, but I'm also a pacifist so I would flee to Europe rather than fight.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
So the original Americans STILL won't have universalized healthcare, but all the new ones do?

I still want nothing to do with Murica the graet politically, but I'm also a pacifist so I would flee to Europe rather than fight.

Canadians that become Americans will still retain their way of life, including universalized healthcare if they want to.

For the rest of the United States, time will tell.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:36 PM

Is that there because you think it's the only compelling reason to stay in Canada? I know this whole thing is hypothetical, but it makes the scenario completely unrealistic. Then all of the other Americans would be like 'hey these ones live off the state blah blah'.

And what else stays the same? How can it stay the same if it can now be run by the USA? Laws would eventually just merge in favour of new politicians.

You should just make the option without that part.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 PM

By the way, the only Canadian user who will vote to join is Botticelli.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
What about bilingualism? How would you expect Quebec to exist politically and culturally in a nation that is unilingual English and makes no effort to accommodate the French language? I argue against the idea that the French fact in today's Quebec is at all in danger, but separatist rhetoric would be alot more compelling in such a situation. I happen to be a Canadian nationalist and am attached to this nation, its institutions, its history, and its culture. In any civilized setting I would exert pressure through democratic institutions, like Canadians generally do. The ethnic conflict and fight for secession in Quebec has gone down, with significant bad blood on either side, 100% non-violently for over 40 years because Canadians value civilized debate and trust our democratic institutions to be fair places to address these kinds social questions, with no need to resort to violence. But if we're talking about some awful reality where the only options are accept an invasion with no democratic rights to political resistance against it, or resist through violence, I would resist, that kind of offense needs to be responded to and sanctioned. I would use my American citizenship and near invisibility as a foreigner to go on road trips and blow up government infrastructure and pipelines with homemade explosives in out of the way areas no one knew I was visiting with ingredients bought in several different states. I'd do things like burn down your local small town post office in the middle of the night and drive immediately into another state without anyone ever having any idea I'd ever been anywhere near there. Enough domestic terrorists like me in the American homeland would be an intolerable political pressure, and not one you could throw jet planes at.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 05-20-2014 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Is that there because you think it's the only compelling reason to stay in Canada? I know this whole thing is hypothetical, but it makes the scenario completely unrealistic. Then all of the other Americans would be like 'hey these ones live off the state blah blah'.

And what else stays the same? How can it stay the same if it can now be run by the USA? Laws would eventually just merge in favour of new politicians.

You should just make the option without that part.

Well i imagine the Canadians pay for all their services themselves already so the American people won't complain alot. It easier to control a newly invaded country from revolutions if you let them retain their lifestyle. Canada is already developed as it is so i wouldnt expect them to be draining the American economy.

Yeah overtime things will change and laws would eventually merge.

The United States gives alot of power to its states. I would expect Quebec to retain its French language just like New Mexico has spanish as its co-official language.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
Why is the only other option fighting?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
We'd do what any self-respecting country does when it is invaded: we'd blow up your bridges, fly planes into your buildings, seduce your soldiers, poison your drinking water and toss a spear through the heart of your president. All undercover because, after all, you claim you can't tell us apart.

So your hypothetical scenario wouldn't happen because who needs an enemy like that on your own borders?

I'm a pacifist personally but even pacifists have been known to pick favourites.

In the end you'd claim victory and go home with your tails between your legs.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
American woman, get away from me
American woman, mama, let me be
Don't come a-knockin' around my door
Don't wanna see your shadow no more
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes
Now woman, I said get away
American woman, listen what I say, hey

Fight. To the death, if necessary.
We'd destroy your livers with our strong beer and clog your arteries with poutine and fine French pastries. Take that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada