Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times

Advertisements

About that whole niceness/politeness thing - I was under the impression that this description was started by others - specifically Europeans, in part because we say 'sorry' instead of 'excuse me.' And that the media here jumped on the bandwagon later, the way the media will do, and then it later became something that we Canadians picked up on as the most common descriptor of others about ourselves.

Just like the French for some reason have a reputation for being rude and arrogant - I doubt that stereotype was started by the French, but by others. And incidentally, I have even lived in France and never chanced upon a rude Frenchman, not even in Paris. I loved France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I have even lived in France and never chanced upon a rude Frenchman, not even in Paris. I loved France.
That's because they are all in Quebec...

Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
That's because they are all in Quebec...
But we're all Canadian here, so we're supposed to be nice to a fault!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But we're all Canadian here, so we're supposed to be nice to a fault!
Haar! But that's only what OTHERS think of us because they don't witness first hand how we behave towards each other.

Were other countries able to observe us inter-acting with each other, they'd very probably convene a UN emergency session.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haar! But that's only what OTHERS think of us because they don't witness first hand how we behave towards each other.

Were other countries able to observe us inter-acting with each other, they'd very probably convene a UN emergency session.
I never thought we were all that nice - it was just the idea that others had. Not that we're all that bad, we're just not all that nice.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 AM

60 posts, read 83,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Um no thanks. we will give you the NW Angle in MN for free though

and yes we will happily keep the bible belt.

We'll gladly accept any state that wants to join our Confederation, as long as they get rid of that filthy imperial system and switch to metric.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No, I'm in Lethbridge. Regardless, John, if you're coming in, let me know--it's easy enough to get to Calgary to meet up. I'd be happy to introduce you to the fine beers we can produce in Alberta.

Edit: I did live in Calgary for a number of years before moving down here, so I know Calgary quite well. Prior to that, I lived in Toronto (educated there at U of T and worked there subsequently), so I know that city pretty well too.

Still, John, I think we'd have a good conversation, if we sat down over a beer. Let me know when you'll be in the area next. The first round will be on me.
I really appreciate the invitation and I would love to talk with you. I will have to pass on the beer as I don't drink adult beverages. I don't get up there too often anymore. All my relatives want to come here to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada