Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I was going to say eff you then, but then I thought better of it since some might not understand my sense of humour.

Seriously, I've heard that before - that we swear much, much more as a nation.
LOL. I was going to respond F*** off as well, but changed my mind for the same reason.

I personally don't swear much. I say " frickin ' " more than anything. Or if I'm really upset " frickin' firkin "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Fire Truck.

My preferred curse of choice in front of the 6 yo.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:32 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Wow! Pot lecturing the kettle mayhaps?

Here's a clue for you. I have not made it a practice to follow your posting history, neither do I take "everything in life so seriously" and NO I do not want Magna to get all riled up. Your post, after a month of this thread being dormant responding to a post by Magna that occurred much earlier in the thread seemed to be using a sarcastic method of admonishment that could be easily construed by anyone to be a patronizing method of rejoinder.

Tell me truthfully it is your belief someone jumping onto this thread fresh out of the gate MAY not have the same degree of confusion.

Perhaps Magna knows your posting style better than I from reading more of your submissions.

Finally; for someone accusing me of a natural state of bitterness and being happy that way you sure can bring on the stinging nettles as someone more than having a surface familiarity with the process.

To reiterate; Magnatomiflux is a better person than I for NOT assuming you meant your post to be a condescending shot. I did assume that and was obviously mistaken now that you say you were joking.

Ease up there; you've more than cleared up my confusion.
Oh, that? Heck, that's easy to explain: I'm Scottish through and through. But, though I'm fiery, I DON'T get prickly over inane stuff.

I do, however, get somewhat annoyed when someone accuses me of being deliberately rude and insulting to a person, which is something I do NOT do.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-07-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 05:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, that? Heck, that's easy to explain: I'm Scottish through and through. But, though I'm fiery, I DON'T get prickly over inane stuff.

I do, however, get somewhat annoyed when someone accuses me of being deliberately rude and insulting to a person, which is something I do NOT do.

As am I Lass .. Dumfries on mothers side.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, I was going to say eff you then, but then I thought better of it since some might not understand my sense of humour.

Seriously, I've heard that before - that we swear much, much more as a nation.
Yep.
Quebecers swear like drunken sailors on shore leave, but their swear words are different. The worst thing you can say to someone invokes the Catholic church.

Quebec French profanities, known as sacres (singular: sacre; French: sacrer, "to consecrate"), are words and expressions related to Catholicism and its liturgy which are used as strong profanities in Quebec French, the main language variety of Canadian French, and to a lesser degree in Acadian French spoken in Maritime Provinces east of Quebec. Sacres are considered stronger than the foul expressions common to standard French which center around sex and excrement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yep.
Quebecers swear like drunken sailors on shore leave, but their swear words are different. The worst thing you can say to someone invokes the Catholic church.

Quebec French profanities, known as sacres (singular: sacre; French: sacrer, "to consecrate"), are words and expressions related to Catholicism and its liturgy which are used as strong profanities in Quebec French, the main language variety of Canadian French, and to a lesser degree in Acadian French spoken in Maritime Provinces east of Quebec. Sacres are considered stronger than the foul expressions common to standard French which center around sex and excrement.

Quebec French profanity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, I knew that about the religious aspect to French-Canadian swearing.

For pacifists, Mennonites have a shockingly large amount of words for hitting and punching the daylights out of someone. Plus, according to my husband anyway, his Russian-Mennonite father could swear for ten straight minutes in German, Mennonite Low German, Russian, Ukrainian and Yiddish without ever once repeating himself. My FIL never swore in front of me so I can't swear (haha) to the truth of that.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
The U.S. is going down the ****ter financially. I'm not too familiar with Canada's economy, but it can't be as bad as the U.S.'s.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The U.S. is going down the ****ter financially. I'm not too familiar with Canada's economy, but it can't be as bad as the U.S.'s.
Well we wanted to help you guys out a bit with your economy re Keystone XL and ya gave us the 1 finger salute..

Old 07-08-2014, 07:53 PM

131 posts, read 168,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The US does have a lower unemployment rate than Canada, I mean I understand unemployment isn't the only factor but its definitely a big one.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
The US does have a lower unemployment rate than Canada, I mean I understand unemployment isn't the only factor but its definitely a big one.
Well maybe .....then again maybe not.

First link scroll down to "real unemployment rate formulae"

What Is the Real Unemployment Rate?

Pundits peg the real U.S. rate at over 12%

This next one is reeeaaaalllllly frightening:

http://rt.com/business/us-unemployme...ssistance-006/ Holy crap!

further explanations:

Chart: What's the real unemployment rate?

Why The 'Real' Unemployment Rate Is Higher Than You Think - Forbes

Canadas rate is now 7% as of an .1% increase from 6.9% in May
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada