Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Well, I am sorry, I still dont get it. So by posting random articles from the 1950s you are trying to prove that Canada should be more concerned about the US and less about Russia? I dont follow.

You are either completely unaware of history, current affairs and Canada's foreign relations, or are being purposefully oblivious to the facts.

I am not sure if I should even bother ..... but I am sure you are aware that countries that have gone to war in the past are now close allies (e.g. countries in Western Europe). I am sure France is not concerned about a pending German invasion. And India is not preparing for another British occupation.

So I am sorry if I dont buy your US-Canada enemies forever logic based on Wikipedia articles about Human Experimentation.

Russia is one of Canada's biggest geo-political foes. I dont care if you dont think so ... but the Government does think so.

Seriously man .....
Well, I'm not surprised you don't get it.

I'm not suggesting we need to be MORE concerned as a fact, I'm stating we should be given the benefit of the doubt if we ARE more concerned due to the fact the U.S. has given us ample reason to be. You don't get that, I understand that.

You are the one unaware or at the least unmindful of history. You have put all your eggs in the basket of current affairs and bring to the table not just a smattering of the patronizing "we should be thankful for your considerations" mindset.

In every freak'n post I've made I have stipulated I'm not in the least bit concerned as to an invasion by the U.S.. That will just not happen. I don't know how I can clarify any better than that.

Once again the strawman of "enemies forever" added to the rest of the pile of strawmen you've attributed to my posts please quote the post of mine where I've said that. Being wary of the U.S. because of it's past and to some extent present behaviour is a far cry from declaring it an enemy.

Cripes ahmighty; what is it about your own foreign policy you cannot accept when others suggest it be applied to your own country. When it comes to the U.S. watchful wariness is MY suggestion due to being somewhat familiar with HISTORY. France as regards Germany, I would suggest to you would be of the same, lessened to any degree only through the EU.

Of course our government considers Russia a major geo-political concern as it also most assuredly does to a far lessor extent the U.S. to do otherwise would be foolish and economically dangerous.

Do you know precisely in what context your government considers the pros and cons of being neighbours with a sovereign nation such as Canada?

You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 01:55 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, I'm not surprised you don't get it.

I'm not suggesting we need to be MORE concerned as a fact, I'm stating we should be given the benefit of the doubt if we ARE more concerned due to the fact the U.S. has given us ample reason to be. You don't get that, I understand that.

You are the one unaware or at the least unmindful of history. You have put all your eggs in the basket of current affairs and bring to the table not just a smattering of the patronizing "we should be thankful for your considerations" mindset.

In every freak'n post I've made I have stipulated I'm not in the least bit concerned as to an invasion by the U.S.. That will just not happen. I don't know how I can clarify any better than that.

Once again the strawman of "enemies forever" added to the rest of the pile of strawmen you've attributed to my posts please quote the post of mine where I've said that. Being wary of the U.S. because of it's past and to some extent present behaviour is a far cry from declaring it an enemy.

Cripes ahmighty; what is it about your own foreign policy you cannot accept when others suggest it be applied to your own country. When it comes to the U.S. watchful wariness is MY suggestion due to being somewhat familiar with HISTORY. France as regards Germany, I would suggest to you would be of the same, lessened to any degree only through the EU.

Of course our government considers Russia a major geo-political concern as it also most assuredly does to a far lessor extent the U.S. to do otherwise would be foolish and economically dangerous.

Do you know precisely in what context your government considers the pros and cons of being neighbours with a sovereign nation such as Canada?

You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this issue.
I just read on whatreallyhappened.com that the Americans are secretly preparing for the invasion as we speak.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Which makes BruSans accusations that American govt acts only in its best interests ludicrous. All goverments act in their own best interests. And its in the US govts best interests for Canada to be peaceful prosperous and strong. I dont see how we can complain about that.
Hells bells I'm not making accusations I'm stating facts that even a modest perusal of your history would prove beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Unseating democratically elected governments to install despotic dictators is not in Canada's history.

Fomenting rebellions, funding of clandestine terrorist groups, Arms for contras etc., dear god, do I have to do all the work here teaching you your own history?

Of course all governments act in their own self interest. It's to what extent the bad behaviour that some countries use while performing the actions for their self interest that serve to define a country and give old pharts like myself pause for thought during the present.

Define the word ludicrous and then tell me it does not apply to your less than cognizant awareness of your own history, or why other countries would be wary of the U. S. grinning over their shoulders.

C'mon now; naiveté can only explain part of your chagrin with my stance as regards this topic..

Old 05-29-2014, 02:01 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I just read on whatreallyhappened.com that the Americans are secretly preparing for the invasion as we speak.
LMAO!

Why didnt I think to purchase this URL

Old 05-29-2014, 03:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hells bells I'm not making accusations I'm stating facts that even a modest perusal of your history would prove beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Unseating democratically elected governments to install despotic dictators is not in Canada's history.

Fomenting rebellions, funding of clandestine terrorist groups, Arms for contras etc., dear god, do I have to do all the work here teaching you your own history?

Of course all governments act in their own self interest. It's to what extent the bad behaviour that some countries use while performing the actions for their self interest that serve to define a country and give old pharts like myself pause for thought during the present.

Define the word ludicrous and then tell me it does not apply to your less than cognizant awareness of your own history, or why other countries would be wary of the U. S. grinning over their shoulders.

C'mon now; naiveté can only explain part of your chagrin with my stance as regards this topic..
Wow, so how did you get control of all that land? Did the native people volunteer to give it to you? Why were so many of them killed? Why did the UN just intervene in Canada's native affairs calling the treatment of native people in Canada a 'crisis'? Why are the Quebecois part of your country? Did they peacefully volunteer their land and decide to become second class citizens for a couple centuries? What were Canadian soldiers doing in South Africa, Sudan, Malaysia, and a boatload of other countries? Bringing the savage inhabitants a civilized government and establishing a mutual beneficial co-prosperity sphere for the savage natives and your glorious British Empire? And now walking hand in hand with the evil American republic and getting everything it can out of the relationship.

Drop the snoody British Empire moral superiority act. Apparently he doesnt buy it since he immigrated to America. It seems thats something youve practically done too, with your six months in Florida, but of course youll never admit it. The difference between the Canadian government and the American government is a whole lot of money and power. Canada is just as bad, but is small so its actions are small so nobody takes much notice. To top it off Canada supports all these ventures and milks them for all its worth. If you acted as tough as youd talk youd quit fueling the evil US economy with your six month vacations and push for cutting off trade and cordial relations. But youre not gonna do that. Youre going to make another insecure post whining and begging for attention fom the evil Americans while booking your ticket for your next trip to America.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
If you think about it logically annexation (or more preferably a peaceful union or merger) would be the best thing that could happen. The States would never conquer Canada by force, they are the guarantors of Canadas independence proseprity and existence. The question is just a joke. But a peaceful union or merger would benefit Canada incredibly. Just like when Canada was just a backwards peripheral country before American businesses started taking over in the 50's and 60's. Canadians then were opposed to it, but everything in Canada got better. Canada was no longer a poor British colony but became a respectable relatively modern country. Those who reacted with emotion over reason were against it, now they look like idiots because everything worked out for the better.

I really get tired of the bumpkin mindset that convinces us from preschool on that Canadian = good, moral, advanced, tolerant, superior and American = ignorant, dumb, hateful, violent, backwards. Its so ignorant. Repalce the word american with Chinese and you get a racist. I am fearful of raising my future kids Canada because I dont want them to ever have this bigoted mindset. But some are so old that this is what they've believed their whole lives and will never change for anything or anyone. Its a sad bitter mentality to live with. With reason and logic USA and CDN are best friends and should act accordingly. No more childish insecurity. We are capable of so much more if you just open up your mind and stop thinking with such a closed off mindset. We can start now by adopting a mentality of peace and openness and commence a peaceful merger that would create the greatest country to ever exist.
Gotta love posts like this that contend we owe everything and anything to big brother.. That somehow Canadian resources, ingenuity and progress on its own merits had nothing to do with its own success along with supporting the success of big brother, but that the benefit only went one way and that was north.. Human progress isn't about one nation it is about the collective developments of all nations of the world over time that contribute to the type of world we live in today. These things don't happen in a bubble with one dominant contributor and all others the benefactors.

Anyway, it is ignorant posts like this which is is the biggest reason in my mind that Canada should stay as a close friend to the U.S, but a separate nation from it to preserve our own history, values and accomplishments.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-29-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Wow, so how did you get control of all that land? Did the native people volunteer to give it to you? Why were so many of them killed? Why did the UN just intervene in Canada's native affairs calling the treatment of native people in Canada a 'crisis'? Why are the Quebecois part of your country? Did they peacefully volunteer their land and decide to become second class citizens for a couple centuries? What were Canadian soldiers doing in South Africa, Sudan, Malaysia, and a boatload of other countries? Bringing the savage inhabitants a civilized government and establishing a mutual beneficial co-prosperity sphere for the savage natives and your glorious British Empire? And now walking hand in hand with the evil American republic and getting everything it can out of the relationship.

Drop the snoody British Empire moral superiority act. Apparently he doesnt buy it since he immigrated to America. It seems thats something youve practically done too, with your six months in Florida, but of course youll never admit it. The difference between the Canadian government and the American government is a whole lot of money and power. Canada is just as bad, but is small so its actions are small so nobody takes much notice. To top it off Canada supports all these ventures and milks them for all its worth. If you acted as tough as youd talk youd quit fueling the evil US economy with your six month vacations and push for cutting off trade and cordial relations. But youre not gonna do that. Youre going to make another insecure post whining and begging for attention fom the evil Americans while booking your ticket for your next trip to America.
Imagine a world where every country in it allowed the self determination of every single group who wanted to be a 'nation' become a nation... Imagine how fragmented that world would become. To what end shall we allow this whimsy to roam free.. Is this a precedent that a country such as the United States would like to practice? Quite a chaotic world where national boundaries are constantly in limbo and redrawn.

No country has squeaky clean hands I will agree with that but to dredge up hundreds of years of history will anchor a place to the past. Same thing with the claim that Quebecois are 'second' class citizens in modern Canada.. There is nothing stopping any Province or any entity in this country from living to its potential.. What is stopping them? The past!! Fortunately for most in modern day Canada - we are more United than some outsiders would think and that while most Canadians respect the United States, we would reject any notion of a merger. There's too much to be proud of for what we have than to allow that to be compromised and diluted by those who don't have skin in the game.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-29-2014 at 06:12 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:

"As tough as I talk"? Uuuufduh!

What the hell is wrong with you?

Snoody; surely you mean snooty, don't you Shirley? I guess you just cherry-pick the parts of my posts that reflect badly on the U.S. but skip right over the parts that characterize Canada's government as needing vigilance on the part of it's citizens as well. Why is that do you suppose, oh wait I think I know, you can't abide by anyone castigating the great numero-uno. Give it a rest; you're merely proving my case for me.

I have more American heritage than you probably do and am damn proud of it, you moron. It's got nothing to do with the governments being azz-hats from time to time. What; you have trouble differentiating the word America from Americans? Cripes' it's like public school at recess time with your types.

My nationalistic pride can be as stupid as yours from time to time but I've never characterized Canada as lily white in all things relating to it's national behaviour and most military exercises outside our borders have been under the auspices of the U.N., BIG difference.

And no, Canada is NOT JUST AS BAD. No one on the face of this planet, even moderately acquainted with the respective histories of the two nations, would ever believe that in spite of your silliness.

"Whining and begging for attention"? Might I ask which post was it that you interpret as a whinefest seeking attention. Maybe I can ratchet up my bellicosity a notch so as to eradicate your confusion. It's always the same with you people. Don't kiss your rings it's 'cause we're seeking attention.

Once again; I love parts of your country and it's people and also have American heritage going back to the Cherokee Nation. I dislike some of the actions your government has taken in many arenas over many decades but for this thread we're talking about Canada. I also dislike MY governments actions in some arenas but most of that is confined to it's behaviour regarding our own citizens as our history vis-à-vis empire building is far less graphic than yours for those very reasons you mention.

We have never pretended to be "numero uno".

Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 PM

^^^ Nicely said Brusan!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Imagine a world where every country in it allowed the self determination of every single group who wanted to be a 'nation' become a nation... Imagine how fragmented that world would become. To what end shall we allow this whimsy to roam free.. Is this a precedent that a country such as the United States would like to practice? Quite a chaotic world where national boundaries are constantly in limbo and redrawn.

I dunno. In 1900 there were about 75 independent countries in the world. Today there are about 200. How do we know what is the optimal number? Is 200 to many or too few?

The idea that places that want to become independent and can make a case and a go of it, should be prevented from doing so because of some arbitrary idea that there already too many countries in the world, makes no sense at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada