Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:55 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I dunno. In 1900 there were about 75 independent countries in the world. Today there are about 200. How do we know what is the optimal number? Is 200 to many or too few?

The idea that places that want to become independent and can make a case and a go of it, should be prevented from doing so because of some arbitrary idea that there already too many countries in the world, makes no sense at all.
I don't think it's a case of whether too few or too many countries makes sense or not. The real issues would revolve around whose territory it is that the wannabe independents want to take and claim for themselves for their new country that they want to form. And who they would be displacing if they do manage to acquire the territory for themselves. Those kinds of issues have all the makings for a war if other people in an already recognized country don't want to give up their own territory and be displaced by a newly independent country.

Hmmm - sounds familiar, doesn't it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Just a little comment on the poll results. I think the next time somebody posts a poll for CANADIANS to vote on it would be better if it was an open poll so the names of all the voters can be seen instead of it being an anonymous vote. The results as they stand now I think are probably meaningless. They show just over 68% of voters are for Canada and over 31% are for America but if it had been an open poll there surely would not have been as many people pretending to be Canadians who were voting anonymously. In total I doubt we even have that many Canadian members on City-Data.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We have never pretended to be "numero uno".
Same here

Old 05-30-2014, 10:37 PM

522 posts, read 694,589 times
I would vote yes if Canada wanted to annex America...

Old 05-31-2014, 07:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanCrawford View Post
I would vote yes if Canada wanted to annex America...
And yet once again; this thread takes a 180!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Same here
I got that Invince.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:45 AM

7 posts, read 7,865 times
Well the only difference is that canadian would have a strong army........ an army ready to serve "Democracy" if we can call it that way, but we all know that is the politically correct way of saying , any war that would put the $$$$ to profit .......

Since all the money from U S resident taxes goes there first (to pay for the army, then the police force and these daily use teasers and of course corrupt politicians ....... Then only after that, we would be able to look at the flag with a hand on the heart and proudly say , God bless America .................

Then after that, after decorating our houses with flags and patriotic made in China stuff ... we would call the real estate agent to put the house for sale, to pay off our medical bills .......and then get ready to die in the streets like all good americans belongs to be when we are no longer a " $$$ consumer $$$"

But think about the positive side, we would be allowed to bear arms and guns, just like in the american tv or movies .... and feel so strong .... in our new unsafe neighborhoods.....

See why we should stay Canadian, Quebecers or anything except US citizen .... A country with no culture except maybe Mickey Mouse and the next singer ready to show more skin (like Miley Syrus)

Pathetic .....

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I dunno. In 1900 there were about 75 independent countries in the world. Today there are about 200. How do we know what is the optimal number? Is 200 to many or too few?

The idea that places that want to become independent and can make a case and a go of it, should be prevented from doing so because of some arbitrary idea that there already too many countries in the world, makes no sense at all.
I think the question here isn't trying to arbitrarily come up with an optimal number. The question is, is Canada worth saving with its current borders in place or would people be better off splitting into smaller nations and to what end? Concomitantly, should we do the opposite and just be absorbed into something else that is bigger. Have these people truly thought through how and what it would look like and would these options be truly better for us collectively, for our quality and way of life. I think Canada has proven itself to be worth saving in its current form. I would rather work to fix upon what divides us and improve upon what connects us than to divide into something that is less than the sum of what we have now, or to be absorbed into something that will dilute what is already in place.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-01-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just a little comment on the poll results. I think the next time somebody posts a poll for CANADIANS to vote on it would be better if it was an open poll so the names of all the voters can be seen instead of it being an anonymous vote. The results as they stand now I think are probably meaningless. They show just over 68% of voters are for Canada and over 31% are for America but if it had been an open poll there surely would not have been as many people pretending to be Canadians who were voting anonymously. In total I doubt we even have that many Canadian members on City-Data.

Lol

"Nobody here is taking this thread seriously"

Old 06-01-2014, 03:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I didn't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada