Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 PM

320 posts, read 480,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If any one was in any doubt about the war like nature of many Americans, one has only to know this.............The historical subject that has been written about the most ? The US Civil War . More than 15,000 books on that subject, more than those written about the bible.

It was also the most deadly war that Americans ever fought. More dead men than in WW2. And , to day in 2014, there are still some Americans who not satisfied with the outcome. When I hear a southerner refer to "The War Of Northern Aggression " I know I am hearing a person who is stuck in their "way back when time warp ".

Jim B.

Toronto.

1. This is a tautology.

2. ditto

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Would this be a good time to point out that.............

About Fifty Thousand "Civil War Re-enactors ", show up every year, at the Gettysburg battle ground, to refight that long ago event ? And that there are a huge number of Americans who are a part of a Civil War re-enacting unit ?

And that phrase, "The War Of Northern Aggression " was recently hear on CNN , in a interview, on Memorial Day.

And , finally, about 40 thousand men from what was then known as "British North America " volunteered to fight for the Union Army, as stand ins, for wealthy Americans who had been "drafted ". The price to hire a man to fight in your place was about $400. If the hired man died in battle or of wounds, the money was paid to his wife or mother, back in Canada. Ever hear the phrase " he bought the farm ? " , that refers to being paid a death bounty, and using it to buy a farm back in Canada.

The Union Army also sent "recruiting agents " to Canada, to try to get British Army men to desert, and go to the USA. Cash bribes were offered, for those who were trained men, such as artillery Sgts, and engineers. The south also sent CSA men to Quebec, where they conducted cross border bank robbery raids in Vermont, and New Hampshire, sending the stolen money, by ship, to the south. As Canada was neutral, both sides were actively engaged, mostly in Montreal. At the end of the war, a number of CSA Generals moved with their families, and money, to live in Canada. Some stayed for a long time, some only for a year or two.

I wonder how many Americans know about the four day battle in New York city, between US army troops, and "draft resistors ", that was only ended when US Navy ships bombarded the lower part of the city, for two days and nights ? This was in 1863. Hundreds died, on both sides.

link

Four Days of Fire: The New York City Draft Riots

Just one example of the use of US military force, against their own people. Anybody remember the nation wide riots, after the killing of MLK ?

Jim b.

Toronto.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol ... no. There are at least two posters on this thread that are seriously scared of a (pending) US invasion and believe that many Canadians share their view(s). And one of them (Brusan) spends 6 months on Florida.

And on the other hand:
A friendly rivalry has long existed between the U.S. and Canada and many Americans enjoy nothing more than poking fun at their neighboring nation.
But, with the exception of the War of 1812 two centuries ago, the two countries have stood side-by-side and are today the world's largest trading partners.
In a further boost to this mutual love-in, a poll has - rather surprisingly - revealed that Americans rate Canada as their favourite country.
A landslide 96 per cent of U.S. citizens surveyed rate Canada favourably, a four per cent rise on this time last year.
Love thy neighbour: Americans love Canada more than any other country... and no prizes for guessing that Iran is the least popular | Mail Online
And here is one about other nationalities attitude towards Americans.
Chapter 1. Attitudes toward the United States | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

Old 05-28-2014, 03:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol ... no. There are at least two posters on this thread that are seriously scared of a (pending) US invasion and believe that many Canadians share their view(s). And one of them (Brusan) spends 6 months on Florida.

And on the other hand:
A friendly rivalry has long existed between the U.S. and Canada and many Americans enjoy nothing more than poking fun at their neighboring nation.
But, with the exception of the War of 1812 two centuries ago, the two countries have stood side-by-side and are today the world's largest trading partners.
In a further boost to this mutual love-in, a poll has - rather surprisingly - revealed that Americans rate Canada as their favourite country.
A landslide 96 per cent of U.S. citizens surveyed rate Canada favourably, a four per cent rise on this time last year.
Love thy neighbour: Americans love Canada more than any other country... and no prizes for guessing that Iran is the least popular | Mail Online
Whoa nelly. Seriously scared; you're chitting with me right? First the deflection was I had called the U.S. an EVIL country which never happened. Now I've once again been referred to as "seriously scared" of an American invasion.

Cripes; give this emotive crap a rest would you? You have mastered the fine art of accusing others of "emasculation" or "inferiority" issues but believe me when I say America has not had the capacity to "seriously frighten" me in over 60 years. Way back, I've even worked with your military during early NATO exercises and am not a big fan of "spray and pray" tactics to this day.

The thrust of the responses to this idiotic thread, started by an American posting on the Canada board of a polled choice regarding our response to a supposed annexation by the U.S., have taken us full circle through discussions about how that would be disasterous for both countries and nowhere near the faite accompli some of your more infantile confreres alluded it would be.

We went from explaining our comprehension of threat being higher from the U.S. than from Russia. I posted a link to a list of atrocious stuff your government has done to your own people that has yet to be challenged other than to suggest it was made up when the bulk of those historical happenstances are gleaned from your own National Archives. Some of us over the age of 50 actually remember this stuff being talked about by our parents.

Unethical human experimentation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Human radiation experiments[edit]

Researchers in the United States have performed thousands of human radiation experiments to determine the effects of atomic radiation and radioactive contamination on the human body, generally on people who were poor, sick, or powerless.[55] Most of these tests were performed, funded, or supervised by the United States military, Atomic Energy Commission, or various other US federal government agencies.

The experiments included a wide array of studies, involving things like feeding radioactive food to mentally disabled children or conscientious objectors, inserting radium rods into the noses of schoolchildren, deliberately releasing radioactive chemicals over U.S. and Canadian cities, measuring the health effects of radioactive fallout from nuclear bomb tests, injecting pregnant women and babies with radioactive chemicals, and irradiating the testicles of prison inmates, amongst other things.

Much information about these programs was classified and kept secret. In 1986 the United States House Committee on Energy and Commerce released a report entitled American Nuclear Guinea Pigs : Three Decades of Radiation Experiments on U.S. Citizens.[56] In the 1990s Eileen Welsome's reports on radiation testing for The Albuquerque Tribune prompted the creation of the Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments by executive order of president Bill Clinton, to monitor government tests. It published results in 1995. Welsome later wrote a book called The Plutonium Files.
Chemical experiments[edit]

From 1942 to 1944, the U.S. Chemical Warfare Service conducted experiments which exposed thousands of U.S. military personnel to mustard gas, in order to test the effectiveness of gas masks and protective clothing.[96][97][98][99]

From 1950 through 1953, the U.S. Army sprayed[citation needed] chemicals over six cities in the United States and Canada, in order to test dispersal patterns of chemical weapons. Army records stated that the chemicals which were sprayed on the city of Winnipeg, Canada, included zinc cadmium sulfide, which was not thought to be harmful.[100

Russia, nor ANY other country has yet to do any of this kind of chit to us! Get it???

What a bunch of narcissistic melonheads that you cannot take criticism of your country's behaviour over the last 100 years. It really limits the art of social intercourse if everyone either has to kiss your freak'n rings or be deemed a heretic.

Last edited by BruSan; 05-28-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 03:52 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,741 times
Quote:

Jim b.

Toronto.
What can you say Jim B except that the US is a land of dichotomies. For everything good, there is something equally bad.

While, 30% of American believe that the earth is 5000 years old ........ America(ns) were the ones who revolutionized the world with almost all aspects of modern day technology (e.g. internet, personal computing, etc).

Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:

About Fifty Thousand "Civil War Re-enactors ", show up every year, at the Gettysburg battle ground, to refight that long ago event ? And that there are a huge number of Americans who are a part of a Civil War re-enacting unit ?

And that phrase, "The War Of Northern Aggression " was recently hear on CNN , in a interview, on Memorial Day.

And , finally, about 40 thousand men from what was then known as "British North America " volunteered to fight for the Union Army, as stand ins, for wealthy Americans who had been "drafted ". The price to hire a man to fight in your place was about $400. If the hired man died in battle or of wounds, the money was paid to his wife or mother, back in Canada. Ever hear the phrase " he bought the farm ? " , that refers to being paid a death bounty, and using it to buy a farm back in Canada.

The Union Army also sent "recruiting agents " to Canada, to try to get British Army men to desert, and go to the USA. Cash bribes were offered, for those who were trained men, such as artillery Sgts, and engineers. The south also sent CSA men to Quebec, where they conducted cross border bank robbery raids in Vermont, and New Hampshire, sending the stolen money, by ship, to the south. As Canada was neutral, both sides were actively engaged, mostly in Montreal. At the end of the war, a number of CSA Generals moved with their families, and money, to live in Canada. Some stayed for a long time, some only for a year or two.

I wonder how many Americans know about the four day battle in New York city, between US army troops, and "draft resistors ", that was only ended when US Navy ships bombarded the lower part of the city, for two days and nights ? This was in 1863. Hundreds died, on both sides.

link

Just one example of the use of US military force, against their own people. Anybody remember the nation wide riots, after the killing of MLK ?

Jim b.

Toronto.

By some toothless hillbilly in a trailer park? So if CNN goes and scrounges up some flannel-wearing lumberjack in the north woods who swills Molsons, watches hockey 24/7 and salts his language with the words 'hoser' and 'eh,' then he is the representative for all Canadians, am I right? Trust me. If what you say is even remotely true (Which I doubt. Either that or you probably totally missed the irony in the speaker's tongue-in-cheek delivery), then they must have found the one crank left in America who uses that term. I love how you depict us as a bunch of know-nothing dimwits, yet you're awfully willing to indulge in some mindless stereotyping yourself.

And just because a bunch of historical enthusiasts like to dress up in Confederate and Union uniforms, that means we're a bunch of militarists who want to invade Canada? What kind of sad, paranoid freak are you anyway? I mean, hey, a three-second search on Google found a slew of Canadians who like to re-enact the War of 1812. Using your weird line of reasoning, does that mean that Canadians are in favor of impressing American seamen off merchant ships to serve in the British Navy?

Oh, and let's take a look at your half-baked history lesson. Let me see if I understand your outrage over Canadian volunteers fighting in the American Civil War. Canadians freely strolled over the border and signed up to fight either for money or out of boredom. They weren't impressed the way American sailors were by the British prior to the War of 1812 but out of complete freewill, right? In World War II, 65,000 Americans volunteered to fight in Canadian uniform prior to the United States joining the war. So, if I understand you correctly, Americans taking Canadian volunteers is bad, but Canadians taking American volunteers is good, correct? I mean, did Canada pay death benefits to Americans who died in Canadian uniform?

As far as the rest of your incoherent post is concerned, let me see if I can understand. The United States was fighting an existential conflict, so it used force to put down a draft riot. Yet you choose ignore the 150 casualties caused by Canadian troops firing at Canadian citizens during the Easter Riot of 1918 in Montreal. So if the United States undertakes such steps to maintain civil order in order to keep a war effort going, it's wrong. But if Canada undertakes such steps to maintain civil order to keep a war effort going, it's right? Or does that just make you a hypocrite?

You know, critic as I am of my own country, I'm always amazed at how far you're willing to stretch a point.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-28-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM

320 posts, read 480,925 times
Quote:

link

Jim b.

Toronto.
But you will note the irony that it is American sources that provide you with this information, right?

If they've taken any university-level American history course, then, yes, they've probably heard about the draft riots. There are plenty of other examples that you didn't bring up, such as the Ludlow, Co. Massacre or the Bonus Army. Why do you think American right-wingers rail against the "elitest" eggheads who (supposedly)control the universities? Why do they hate PBS and the Smithsonian?

Can the average Canadian discuss (off the top of my head): Louis Riel? Oka? The Easter Riots? The October Crisis?

My main point: Whether we're talking about U.S. or Canadian history, any discussion about historical events ought to be fully-fleshed out with context, and a consideration of historiography and various methodological debates.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:55 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm a Southerner. Lived here all my fifty-two years. And I have never, ever heard any Southerner refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression as anything but a joke. And if I've never heard the Civil War referred to in that way in over a half-century of life, I'm pretty sure you haven't either.
I sure have. I'm a member on a few homesteading / farming and self-sufficiency / preparedness and rock hounding and metal detecting type forums where many of the members are Americans. On each one of them there have on occasion been some violently heated political discussions erupted between the southerners and northerners about the "war of northern aggression". I can 100% guarantee you it was referred to that way, they were NOT joking and often the discussions produced such hard feelings the topics had to be locked or deleted. Prior to getting on to some of those internet forums I had never heard of the civil war referred to as the war of northern aggression and when I first heard it I had to ask what they were arguing about.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I sure have. I'm a member on a few homesteading / farming and self-sufficiency / preparedness and rock hounding and metal detecting type forums where many of the members are Americans. On each one of them there have on occasion been some violently heated political discussions erupted between the southerners and northerners about the "war of northern aggression". I can 100% guarantee you it was referred to that way, they were NOT joking and often the discussions produced such hard feelings the topics had to be locked or deleted. Prior to getting on to some of those internet forums I had never heard of the civil war referred to as the war of northern aggression and when I first heard it I had to ask what they were arguing about.

Right. Because people who babble endlessly about riding out nuclear war and societal meltdown on message boards constitute a very representative slice of Americans.

Trust me. I live in Alabama. Have all my life. Anybody who actually used the term The War Of Northern Aggression down here would be regarded as a first-class kook. Just like the people who spend their time on preparedness message boards.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Careful there sonny, your southern bigotry is slipping out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada