Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 63.73%
Become an American 37 36.27%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Say, if the United States wanted to annex Canada and your government didn't want to, would you side with your government and fight back or join the United States and be an American?

So you have 2 options

1. You join the United States. You basically retain your lifestyle but you will now be called an American instead of a Canadian. You will be granted American citizenship, you will retain your healthcare if you want to, your pension, your pay, your job, and where you live. Your children will learn American and Canadian history plus pledge allegiance to the United States every morning in school. Or you will also be granted the opportunity to move anywhere in the United States and take advantage of what your new country has to offer.

2. Or you become a rebel and most possibly face imminent death and face this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1NbTZyvdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9sDxvsbsnA
I'm an American. While I tend to be more conservative than liberal, why in God's name would you even want to do this? What kind of lunatic are you? Do you just like to **** off your friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,542,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm an American. While I tend to be more conservative than liberal, why in God's name would you even want to do this? What kind of lunatic are you? Do you just like to **** off your friends?
Some people get bored and are eager for war, its sad but it seems like that's what's going on.

Just look at all the people who freak out screaming "OMG WWIII!!!" over a dispute over a little island between Japan and China and the people who think there is gonna be a nuclear war because Russia took a little island in the Ukraine.

I wonder how many foreign defense experts from around the world react when they hear this stuff.
Probably alot of head slapping or laughing

Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,463,024 times
If any one was in any doubt about the war like nature of many Americans, one has only to know this.............The historical subject that has been written about the most ? The US Civil War . More than 15,000 books on that subject, more than those written about the bible.

It was also the most deadly war that Americans ever fought. More dead men than in WW2. And , to day in 2014, there are still some Americans who not satisfied with the outcome. When I hear a southerner refer to "The War Of Northern Aggression " I know I am hearing a person who is stuck in their "way back when time warp ".

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,241,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
If any one was in any doubt about the war like nature of many Americans, one has only to know this.............The historical subject that has been written about the most ? The US Civil War . More than 15,000 books on that subject, more than those written about the bible.

It was also the most deadly war that Americans ever fought. More dead men than in WW2. And , to day in 2014, there are still some Americans who not satisfied with the outcome. When I hear a southerner refer to "The War Of Northern Aggression " I know I am hearing a person who is stuck in their "way back when time warp ".

Jim B.

Toronto.
I'm a Southerner. Lived here all my fifty-two years. And I have never, ever heard any Southerner refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression as anything but a joke. And if I've never heard the Civil War referred to in that way in over a half-century of life, I'm pretty sure you haven't either.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:40 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,442,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm a Southerner. Lived here all my fifty-two years. And I have never, ever heard any Southerner refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression as anything but a joke. And if I've never heard the Civil War referred to in that way in over a half-century of life, I'm pretty sure you haven't either.
lol ... yes. Unfortunately, there are a few on this sub-forum that love to make up stuff about America and Americans.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
lol ... yes. Unfortunately, there are a few on this sub-forum that love to make up stuff about America and Americans.
I'm sure there are some who are still very interested in the civil war... however most probably only hear about the civil war in history class or a visit to some historical civil war site somewhere in the south.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,533,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, subjective experience isn't always factual and the Canadian military historian who wrote the article shares your outrage. But he doesn't deny that it has been so. In fact your first link rates Canadian current concerns at 3.1 percent. Although those numbers appear to have been given before the Russian invasion of Ukraine. I imagine that today they would be higher. The numbers in the US were against Russia by 69%. So as I said, Canadians have never had quite as an antagonistic view of Russia as Americans.

Subjectively speaking, I don't know any Canadians who see Russia as a threat specifically to Canada over the US or ever did see it as more of a threat than Russia. That doesn't mean that we think that Russia is our best friend however. It just means that we see ourselves as being caught in the middle.

ETA: You know that saying about how you always hurt the one you love? The US being our best friend, our biggest trading partner, etc, the people on earth with whom in many ways we have the most in common doesn't prevent you from also being the thing we most fear.
Dang, warn't allowed to rep ya agin. But gadzooks; wish I'd said that with the same amount of tactfulness.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,842,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
ETA: You know that saying about how you always hurt the one you love? The US being our best friend, our biggest trading partner, etc, the people on earth with whom in many ways we have the most in common doesn't prevent you from also being the thing we most fear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS9U75YC-jA&feature=kp

Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM

I thought that was a joke or something, what do Canadians have to fear from America? lol

Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,442,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I thought that was a joke or something, what do Canadians have to fear from America? lol
lol ... no. There are at least two posters on this thread that are seriously scared of a (pending) US invasion and believe that many Canadians share their view(s). And one of them (Brusan) spends 6 months on Florida.

And on the other hand:
A friendly rivalry has long existed between the U.S. and Canada and many Americans enjoy nothing more than poking fun at their neighboring nation.
But, with the exception of the War of 1812 two centuries ago, the two countries have stood side-by-side and are today the world's largest trading partners.
In a further boost to this mutual love-in, a poll has - rather surprisingly - revealed that Americans rate Canada as their favourite country.
A landslide 96 per cent of U.S. citizens surveyed rate Canada favourably, a four per cent rise on this time last year.
Love thy neighbour: Americans love Canada more than any other country... and no prizes for guessing that Iran is the least popular | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada