Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM

342 posts, read 510,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
F
If there is still someone left in the world who thinks that countries - any country - doesn't act first what is in their own best interests, speak up now. The US does it and I am not negating that the US has done a lot of good in the world, but first and foremost everyone acts according to their own interests. It is definitely not in Russian interests to have Ukraine aligned with the west. And I don't see how it is in the world's best interests to have Ukraine either.
Which makes BruSans accusations that American govt acts only in its best interests ludicrous. All goverments act in their own best interests. And its in the US govts best interests for Canada to be peaceful prosperous and strong. I dont see how we can complain about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 11:53 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Yeah. Doesn't get a lot of coverage. But their ice-breaker (navy) ships used to enter Canadian territory. This forced Canada to spend Billions to get their own ships, strengthen the coast- guard and monitor the Canadian north.
Those billions were spent against both the US and Russia. $3B for arctic ships: PM

ETA: Actually the Northwest Passage gets a lot of coverage here. Always has. US and Russian encroachment into our waters always gets covered. Equally.

Last edited by netwit; 05-29-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Which makes BruSans accusations that American govt acts only in its best interests ludicrous. All goverments act in their own best interests. And its in the US govts best interests for Canada to be peaceful prosperous and strong. I dont see how we can complain about that.
I don't disagree with that. But - and I think, since I am used to BruSan's writing style - that what he was trying to say was that the US idea of what is in Canada's best interests is not necessarily Canada's idea of what is in Canada's best interest. Someone - I think Invincible - had a link a page or three down about what people in the world think about the US. I actually believe that the US wants the best for everyone - however it is your idea of what is best for us and there was a poll in that link about whether people in other countries feel they are listened to by the US and the answers were, no.

And that is the gist of how I read BruSan's comments. I am under no illusion that we are equals. You are a superpower and we are not. And therefore it would be completely ridiculous for us to completely trust you. You act in your own interests but they are not always in sync with ours.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Canadians are Americans, as are Mexicans. We share the continent.

Culturally, Canada has a lot of similarities and a lot of differences. I could not see anyone from Canada wanting to be part of the United States. Why would they? They have their own country.

As for integrating Canada and the United States, this will never happen due to currency sovereignty. A country that relinquishes its right to issue currency is giving up its most powerful global asset.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:49 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
Every time somebody uses that "we are all Americans " crap, I have to laugh..........

Want to start a good sized fight ? Just say that in a Canadian bar, and then watch the chairs start flying at you. WE are NOT Americans, and we spend a lot of time explaining just WHY we aren't.

I spent a long time wearing a uniform with Canada on the shoulders, and I have never once been taken for an American, while in that uniform.

Jim B.

Toronto.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:01 PM

^^Heck, I even agree with canadian citizen sometimes

Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM

320 posts, read 480,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Every time somebody uses that "we are all Americans " crap, I have to laugh..........

Want to start a good sized fight ? Just say that in a Canadian bar, and then watch the chairs start flying at you. WE are NOT Americans, and we spend a lot of time explaining just WHY we aren't.

I spent a long time wearing a uniform with Canada on the shoulders, and I have never once been taken for an American, while in that uniform.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Hey--wasn't this a funny beer commercial once?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with that. But - and I think, since I am used to BruSan's writing style - that what he was trying to say was that the US idea of what is in Canada's best interests is not necessarily Canada's idea of what is in Canada's best interest. Someone - I think Invincible - had a link a page or three down about what people in the world think about the US. I actually believe that the US wants the best for everyone - however it is your idea of what is best for us and there was a poll in that link about whether people in other countries feel they are listened to by the US and the answers were, no.

And that is the gist of how I read BruSan's comments. I am under no illusion that we are equals. You are a superpower and we are not. And therefore it would be completely ridiculous for us to completely trust you. You act in your own interests but they are not always in sync with ours.
And once again you put words to my thoughts so much better then I have. Dagnabitalltohell!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM

320 posts, read 480,487 times
Okay: TIME OUT!!!

Whether you're Canadian or American take a moment to view this collection of "I am Canadian" Molson Canadian commercials that poke fun at U.S./Cdn relations. They're funny and illuminating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up0i0G_y05A

Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Canadians are Americans, as are Mexicans.
If theres one thing we can all agree on, its that no one wants to hear the we are all Americans line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Want to start a good sized fight ? Just say that in a Canadian bar, and then watch the chairs start flying at you.
Lol yeah, sure. I think highly enough of Canadian bar goers to believe that even they would be secure and confident enough to say ok and keep on drinking.

Quote:

That guy/gal is not American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada