Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Leave it to you to make the most pathetic post in the history of CD.... There can be many many things said about shameless, ruthless killings of the innocents in the U.S but to even go there just displays a certain void of humanity. There is such a thing as stooping too low - even on anonymous internet forums.
I think I'd be standing on firm ground to refute everything those eggheads hypothesize in their Canadian identity musings by simply saying that at no time in OUR Canadian history has it ever been considered either necessary or desired to disguise ourselves as Americans for purposes of convenient and secure foreign travel.

Can Americans claim the same?

So exactly who is it again with the identity crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I disagree, I think that (English) Canada does have it's own culture but it is weak (like many ex-colonial cultures) and next to an elephant and because of common roots easy to be mistaken with American culture when it is seen. When I was first in Canada this struck me as undoubtedly Canadian. I was sitting there thinking this show is the most clearly Canadian thing I had ever seen (to that date). The humor and everything was just not American regardless of any region or subculture. I definitely agree that to extent a Canadian identity is invented and business owners especially capitalize on it (I would MUCH rather run a corporation in Canada), but there is still something there in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto that is something else and it surely isn't created by a government. I really feel a strong British influence that just isn't there anywhere in the US.

By claiming to be the most civilized and classy you come off as the stereotypical smug and ignorant Canadian and sully the name of truly classy Canadians. Many of the people you look down on probably think the same about you. Perhaps try being more tolerant of people who believe in a religion and want to talk about it . You don't have to agree with them but being classy would entail tolerating different cultures and values rather than berating them and looking down your nose. Apparently your version of classy means bashing the poor and sneering at them. Honestly, it is fairly obvious through your posts that you are a bigot, but like most bigots you fail to see your own ignorance. People have different cultures and values and not all will conform to your ideals.
I disagree. You may believe whatever you want to believe, I just don't think it's acceptable to push it upon others. I was not being disrespectful or looking down upon anyone either, I just wanted to point out that I thought there was obvious differences between this segment of society between each country. It's just something you notice, and it isn't fair to decide it's sneering just because I was honest enough to share that observation. I'm not sure where or how you picked up on the idea that I am a bigot.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think I'd be standing on firm ground to refute everything those eggheads hypothesize in their Canadian identity musings by simply saying that at no time in OUR Canadian history has it ever been considered either necessary or desired to disguise ourselves as Americans for purposes of convenient and secure foreign travel.

Can Americans claim the same?

So exactly who is it again with the identity crisis?
The only people who seem to think that Canadians have an identity crisis are a small segment of the U.S population and an even smaller percentage of their Canadian enablers in these forums. Fortunately for the majority of us in here, we live in a place called - reality! Your post does underscore the word irony very well!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm not sure where or how you picked up on the idea that I am a bigot.
Maybe here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Canada is just generally the more civilized part of the Americas.
Sounds like the British colonizers talking about lowly natives. I can imagine a "classy" British aristocrat sipping his tea in India discussing his superiority while "coloured" fellows fan him.

Totally not a bigot though - at least that's what he thought.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,866,273 times
Quote:
The only people who seem thing think that Canadians have an identity crisis are a small segment of the U.S population in these forums. Your post does underscore the word irony very well!
Aren't ILIKEMIKE and JohnSoCal and Newdixiegirl Canadian?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Who the heck knows what they are.. I certainly don't want to know minus Newdixiegirl - not too familiar with her posts.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Quote:
Maybe here?

Sounds like the British colonizers talking about lowly natives. I can imagine a "classy" British aristocrat sipping his tea in India discussing his superiority while "coloured" fellows fan him.

Totally not a bigot though - at least that's what he thought.
Not very comparable at all. There seems to be less disconnect and alienation between the population across the country, many things are generally agreed upon by the vast majority of people here that would otherwise cause great debate down South. That's basically what I was referring to.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,889 times
Quote:
I cannot speak for the others but I was born and raised in Canada. I immigrated to the US by myself when I was 19. I am not a Canadian citizen as I lost that when I became a US citizen several years ago as there was no dual citizenship then. My sister and other relatives live in Canada. I frequently visit them in BC and Alberta. I have spent a lot of time and worked in both Toronto and Montreal.

I have also lived and worked in Mexico and am fluent in Spanish ( wife is from Mexico ), lived in Venezuela, and several areas in the US but have lived most of my life in California. I am retired now but had my own business as a computer systems and software designer.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 08-25-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
Quote:
They are, as I recall. But to the best of my knowledge, they couldn't find what they were looking for in Canada, so they emigrated to the US. They seem to like it in the US; they found what they were looking for. Fair enough. But their inability to find what they were looking for in Canada tells me just that; nothing more. Of course, they are entitled to their opinions, based on their Canadian experiences; but as they are opinions, it doesn't mean that everybody's experience will match theirs.

I kind of wish we could do away with the "kinder and gentler and not-American" identity, as it does two things: first, it is misleading (it implies that it's all sunshine and rainbows; when in fact, Canadians can be just as cruel, violent, and rude as anybody else); and secondly, it is comparative. I don't see other nationalities identifying themselves by what they're not; I see them identifying themselves by what they are. Perhaps we should start looking at ourselves as Canadians, not as "non-Americans."

Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,778,889 times
Quote:
The only people who seem to think that Canadians have an identity crisis are a small segment of the U.S population and an even smaller percentage of their Canadian enablers in these forums. Fortunately for the majority of us in here, we live in a place called - reality! Your post does underscore the word irony very well!
You come across as being the stereotypical Canadian, smug and pompous. I don't know if that is true but that is definitely how you appear on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada