Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stay Canadian or become American?
FIGHT FOR CANADA! 65 64.36%
Become an American 36 35.64%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:35 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Lol WWII was on a whole different level.

Afghanistan and Iraq was way more organized and less violent than WWII.
All that that speaks to is that the nature of war has changed. I would argue that 100 years from now, we will view what has happened since 9/11 as a world war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
That's right. US was reluctant to join WW2 and was pretty much forced to build an army overnight and join the war.

Directly or indirectly, the world expects the US to be a watchful protector that isn't afraid to go to war. Plenty of countries in Asia, Europe and NA expect the US to come to their aid incase of armed conflict.
I mean, what would be the general expectation in Canada if Russia were to encroach upon Northern Canada?
That is also true. I think the US is in many ways in a no-win situation. On the other hand, they kind of put themselves there. I am not sure what the option would have been though.

I think that Canadians have never seen Russia as the potential aggressor in terms of Canada. We've been more concerned about the US and the Northwest Passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Pakistan and its people lost all moral high ground when they openly declared war on India three times and when they routinely engage to destabilize Afghanistan. Plus they openly harbor terror organizations within their borders and have used them against peaceful countries like India on numerous occasions.

If there were one country that deserved drone strikes. It would be Pakistan.
Don't think I agree with your last paragraph but I agree with what you say about Pakistan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A wedding party! that's it? lmfao! i love how people freak out over the most minor conflicts in today's age, i think its a sign we live in a very peaceful era.
Today we complain about some drone strikes accidentally killing innocents, in other generations they dropped nukes on cities and killed hundreds and thousands of people and threw millions of people into ovens.
This speaks again to your view that this is somehow a peaceful generation, rather than that warfare has changed as dramatically as the change from spears and arrows to tanks. I somehow don't think that if you were in those countries affected by the drone strikes and other acts of war, that you'd be seeing it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
The invasion would be over in 3-5 days. Most would return to their normal work schedule by the end of the week. Canada would find itself in a situation similar to that of Quebec, and would react in the same fashion through peaceful politics.
I thought you knew us better than that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
American woman, get away from me
American woman, mama, let me be
Don't come a-knockin' around my door
Don't wanna see your shadow no more
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes
Now woman, I said get away
American woman, listen what I say, hey

Fight. To the death, if necessary.
We'd destroy your livers with our strong beer and clog your arteries with poutine and fine French pastries. Take that!
Well I hope Weltschmerz will remember
A southern man don't need her around anyhow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29Fs-WNIrg

Old 05-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
So much depends on the future viablity of the modern nation state. Will the political entities and imagined communities that constitute Canada and the United States even exist in the next few centuries?

As evidenced by the posts on this thread, the highly-speculative question of the U.S. annexing Canada doesn't have much to do with any viable evidence that America is planning such a move.The O.P. was probably wondering if the situation between Russia and the Ukraine was in anyway comparable to North America and posed a silly question.

As this thread evolved, however, the issue of the U.S. annexing Canada became an imagined scenario that served as a political metaphor to discuss and critique present-day American Imperialism and the bellicose world view of the Neocons, who are always conflated with "all" Americans.

Like its many antecedents, this thread privileges the views of the right-wing as somehow more represenative of the nation as a whole. Left out: anti-war sentiment, demonstrations, and even legislation that accompanied every 20 th c war and conflict (including WWI and WWII: why do you think the US entered these wars so late in the game?); the voluminous amount of pop and academic critiques of US wars, especially the Vietnam War and the Iraq War;and the strong critique of Military Keynesianism (aka Eisenhower's "Military Industrial Complex") elucidated these days most prominently by liberals and libertarians.

I am also confused by the assertion that America has been at war for 400 years. This strikes me as supremely ahistorical. Prior to 1776, we're talking about the colonial military competition waged by England, France, and Spain on the soil of the "New" World. I wouldn't dismiss U.S. 19th century wars -- most notably the Civil War and the military subjugation of the Natives -- but as a measure of some kind of essentialist definition of national character, I have to wonder how does Europe, the Middle east, and Asia get so easily off the hook? Actually, what era in all of recorded human history do we not see war? This line of reductive reasoning isn't all that different than the supposition that all Muslims are terrorists or that all Roma are criminals.

I understand the frustration with the exasperatingly uninformed and intellectually lazy questions that come up on the Canada forum (hardly limited to this particular forum, actually). I just don't think that countering broad generalization with broad generalization accomplishes anything productive, except maybe confirming pre-formed stereotypes.
Good post.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:38 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
A lot of ignorant posts. Sucking on one nipple while punching the other. Personally, I am enjoying the most peaceful period in human history, but to each his or her own.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:01 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
A lot of ignorant posts. Sucking on one nipple while punching the other. Personally, I am enjoying the most peaceful period in human history, but to each his or her own.
Oh really?

A SHORT HISTORY OF US GOVERNMENT RESPECT FOR HUMAN LIFE

Well how's that nipple you're sucking on now? Tomorrow your own government will be punching them. Where the frig did you find that simile?

Your country has never shown any respect for foreign nations sovereignty UNLESS it suited some purpose or another to it's monied interests. Compared to other countries Canada has been a relatively minor recipient of your nonsense with viral agents being released in major Canadian cities by your military but even your own citizens aren't immune from U.S. government atrocities.

Rock on.

Last edited by BruSan; 05-27-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres some stats on the Iraq conflict..
https://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

From your post iNviNciBL3 I get the impression the American culture has become so inured to the killing machine mentality that 130,000 dead Iraq citizens is viewed as a meaningless non violent event, those iraqis should be grateful that America is opening up fast food joints in their country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh really?

Well how's that nipple you're sucking on now? Tomorrow your own government will be punching them. Where the frig did you find that simile.

Your country has never shown any respect for foreign nations sovereignty UNLESS it suited some purpose or another to it's monied interests. Compared to other countries Canada has been a relatively minor recipient of your nonsense with viral agents being released in major Canadian cities by your military but even your own citizens aren't immune from U.S. government atrocities.

Rock on.
I think what Jambo had to say in the bolded part, coupled with the fact that here in North America we've been fortunate enough never to really have suffered the effects of war the way they have in Europe has blinded us to the reality of the rest of the world. We think what we see is what there is. I just see a huge difference in how North Americans generally perceive the world and the rest of the world. It's like we think we are somehow the norm. I also think that because the US is a big military power, that it is maybe more evident in Americans but I think that we have a lot of that mindset going around here too.

Both of you have good posts Jambo, and BruSan - just have to spread the love around a bit.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:14 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh really?

Well how's that nipple you're sucking on now? Tomorrow your own government will be punching them. Where the frig did you find that simile.

Rock on.
I am sensing a deep seated feeling of emasculation and inferiority from you. There really is no reason to respond to every thread concerning America with rabid knee-jerk anti-american sentiment. I find that my graduate studies in history are more accurate and reliable than tabloidism such as 'whatreallyhappened.com'. I really must say that such 'sources' are laughable at best. While they make for a good joke, they also provide a more depressing window into how the average layman or woman may be getting his or education. If you like, I can offer you some more objective and scholarly works to help round out your research.
Perhaps you can read some of them during your six months in Florida this year?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,035 times
Quote:
I am sensing a deep seated feeling of emasculation and inferiority from you. There really is no reason to respond to every thread concerning America with rabid knee-jerk anti-american sentiment. I find that my graduate studies in history are more accurate and reliable than tabloidism such as 'whatreallyhappened.com'. I really must say that such 'sources' are laughable at best. While they make for a good joke, they also provide a more depressing window into how the average layman or woman may be getting his or education. If you like, I can offer you some more objective and scholarly works to help round out your research.
LMAO!

And Thank you!

Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres some stats on the Iraq conflict..
https://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

From your post iNviNciBL3 I get the impression the American culture has become so inured to the killing machine mentality that 130,000 dead Iraq citizens is viewed as a meaningless non violent event, those iraqis should be grateful that America is opening up fast food joints in their country.
You make a good point. The Iraq war was a big mistake.

But overall, Americans have been against this war since the facts came out. Obama won mostly because he wanted to get the troops out of Iraq. And today, I do not think you will find any supporters for this war. Most of the effort in now in re-building the country.

That said, to put things in perspective, you also need to provide links for number of civilians killed due to local religious attacks. And provide a link for how many people Saddam killed. And how many children died every year in Iraq due to lack of healthcare and food before the US invasion.

I dont think anyone is saying that the US is perfect. But showing only one side of the story is dishonest. The world in not perfect either.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Well of course you would sense that while at the same time:

"The invasion would be over in 3-5 days. Most would return to their normal work schedule by the end of the week. Canada would find itself in a situation similar to that of Quebec, and would react in the same fashion through peaceful politics."

Emasculation and inferiority are wonderful catch words traditionally thrown out right after a patronizing and insulting offering such as that above to grab a fragile grip at any kind of higher ground. Overused and worn out.

You'll have to pardon me for not taking seriously any reference to graduate studies in history if you took those in the U.S.. Hollywood U. and Professor Eastwood notwithstanding.

What; you don't like the source because it depicts episodes of your history that actually happened? Mk Ultra and Mk Naomi were actual CIA operations just for two of the references within that link.

Project MKULTRA : Science Channel

Project MKNAOMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Had you bothered to even attempt to refute any of those episodes listed you would have found that difficult to do. Most, if not all, are readily available within your national archives. Most have a reference link attached either through a name of the 'perp' himself or the offending agency. NOT many sites put them all together in one list like that, I wonder why?

Now; on to my six months in Florida. At least I just visit and spend money with no stated intentions to invade or otherwise harm my hosts or their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada