Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
Canada 270 48.13%
United States 291 51.87%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

The United States without any question or qualms

Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveORstay View Post
I just saw Michael Moore's movie "SiCKO", and I'm like OMG...
Just a quick question: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
No flaming, please!
I've been to Canada and it's a lovely country, but I'd only move there if things were terrible in America but good in Canada.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
If I had a lot of money , and a fool proof health insurance plan, probably the US ( New England) but from where I'm standing Canada certainly looks a lot better on social issues and healthcare. I love Vancouver and Vancouver island so I would rather feel safe... I think the US is a wonderful and beautiful country but social benefits and access to healthcare make it pretty much a no-no to me. I have no desire to end up destitute just because I had to pay medical bills... I value my lifestyle and security far too much. Most Europeans I speak to feel exactly the same way.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
I love the US for its extremely free market economy, lower taxes, and yes non-socialized healthcare. But I Canada's more laid back attitude, toward things like, say, pot.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:18 AM

31 posts, read 203,639 times
I'd like to Move to Cananda for it's realxed atmosphere and better healthcare. If you don't have health insurance in the USA and you have an medical emergency, you might as well shoot yourself. No hospital will take you if you have no insurace..in fact they will kick you out and put you on the streets. It's sad.
Wondering if anyone wants to trade my US citizenship for a Canadian one? Haha.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:17 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic mama View Post
I'd like to Move to Cananda for it's realxed atmosphere and better healthcare. If you don't have health insurance in the USA and you have an medical emergency, you might as well shoot yourself. No hospital will take you if you have no insurace..in fact they will kick you out and put you on the streets. It's sad.
Wondering if anyone wants to trade my US citizenship for a Canadian one? Haha.

How do you explain how all the illegals get healthcare via the emergency rooms in our country without health coverage?! I don't know the criteria or if it's somewhat of a local thing, but i know many hospitals CANNOT turn you away in the case of an emergency even if you don't have health coverage. That's one of the reasons why those of us who DO have health coverage wind up paying so much for it! I don't know, maybe Oregon is different...

Old 12-10-2007, 07:41 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
What? That doesn't happen in public schools in the US. Where'd you hear such a thing?
Georgia is now offering creationism classes in public schools, they are supposedly optional.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 PM

I chose the US, although it was a very hard decision. The US has become so ugly from a social standpoint. I know several people who are "retired", which means they now work at Walmart for health care benefits. That sounds like retirement, baby! I know a very well-off rocket scientist with a PhD in mathematics who is afraid to retire because of the healthcare issue.

This issue alone makes me want to leave the US long before I reach retirement age. I took the test on the Canadian immigration site and we scored in the mid 80's, without jobs lined up. So I think we could do it, I just dont think we could handle the cold winters. That is the only thing keeping us from applying, but with the world warming up, maybe that will change!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:40 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
I chose the US, although it was a very hard decision. The US has become so ugly from a social standpoint. I know several people who are "retired", which means they now work at Walmart for health care benefits. That sounds like retirement, baby! I know a very well-off rocket scientist with a PhD in mathematics who is afraid to retire because of the healthcare issue.

This issue alone makes me want to leave the US long before I reach retirement age. I took the test on the Canadian immigration site and we scored in the mid 80's, without jobs lined up. So I think we could do it, I just dont think we could handle the cold winters. That is the only thing keeping us from applying, but with the world warming up, maybe that will change!
Try Vancouver Island , Victoria is lovely, and no harsh winters there at all !

Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Try Vancouver Island , Victoria is lovely, and no harsh winters there at all !
I will look into it, Mooseketeer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada