Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_limit View Post
Wal-Mart has cheap quality and jerks employees around

Germany successfully defeated them and they closed up shop and left
Does Canada allow Walmart to refuse union cover to it's workers ?
Yes Germany gave them the shove by saying their workers would be unionised and they would pay the minimum wage in Germany.
No wonder Walmart has never looked at Australia with our minimum wage of over A$15 Hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 AM

291 posts, read 476,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
No wonder Walmart has never looked at Australia with our minimum wage of over A$15 Hr.
That doesn't mean much. Australia is much more expensive to live in than either Canada or the US (or Germany).

Old 04-18-2013, 11:26 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I will gladly pay a little bit more to NOT shop at Walmart. I really dislike just about everything about them. I dislike the way they treat their suppliers, the trucking companys they use and their employees. I HATE their anti labour stance and I hate what they do to all of the small retailers when they move into an area.

They will never make it in the grocery business here in Canada. Their grocery department is pathetic when put up against the good Canadian food stores. I really dislike the way they sell a lot of food items without stating a unit price. Like a package of steaks for $15. That is just a sneaky and underhanded method of selling.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I will gladly pay a little bit more to NOT shop at Walmart. I really dislike just about everything about them. I dislike the way they treat their suppliers, the trucking companys they use and their employees. I HATE their anti labour stance and I hate what they do to all of the small retailers when they move into an area.
That's a pretty stupid reason for not taking advantage of lower prices.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparappa View Post
I guess it would be if I didn't care about my community, the small business owners and the workers of my country. Since I do and I spend a few dollars more to support that, what I consider the height of stupidity are those who care only for themselves!!!! Those who wouls sell their soul to save a few freakin bucks.

Last edited by lucknow; 04-18-2013 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 12:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Not if you look at the bigger picture. Supporting locally owned and smaller businesses keeps the market place much more vibrant and diverse, as well as money going back into the community.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I guess it would be if I didn't care about my community, the small business owners and the workers of my country. Since I do and I spend a few dollars more to support that, what I consider the height of stupidity are those who care only for themselves!!!!Those who wouls sell their soul to save a few freakin bucks.
It makes absolutely no sense to care about a bunch of strangers just out of some vague nationalistic concept. Selfishness is rational, nationalism is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not if you look at the bigger picture. Supporting locally owned and smaller businesses keeps the market place much more vibrant and diverse, as well as money going back into the community.
I don't care about diversity if it means higher prices. I'd rather there were 2 big stores with acceptable prices than many small stores with higher prices. Why would anyone want the latter is beyond me.
A "community" is nothing more than a bunch of people. Screw communities, I care about my wallet.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
It makes absolutely no sense to care about a bunch of strangers just out of some vague nationalistic concept. Selfishness is rational, nationalism is stupid.

I don't care about diversity if it means higher prices. I'd rather there were 2 big stores with acceptable prices than many small stores with higher prices. Why would anyone want the latter is beyond me.
A "community" is nothing more than a bunch of people. Screw communities, I care about my wallet.
I agree.
Buying the same product at higher price when there is clearly a cheaper option there just because it is part of the "community" is stupid.

The rationale for the existing of small corner stores is to provide different interesting products that the big chains don't, or save you the trip to the big stores. Most independent small retailers fail to do the former and it depends on how lazy you are based on the latter.

All this vague "I support my community and I am against big chain" ideology sounds all noble and stuff, but in the end it is pure stupidity and small village mindedness and will not really lead to anywhere.

Plus, Walmart is really not different from a corner store. They all sell products mostly made in China. Just because one doesn't buy Walmart doesn't make him any nobler whatsoever.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:

They will never make it in the grocery business here in Canada. Their grocery department is pathetic when put up against the good Canadian food stores. I really dislike the way they sell a lot of food items without stating a unit price. Like a package of steaks for $15. That is just a sneaky and underhanded method of selling.
Well; I've got to disagree here as in practice they are doing a fine job of getting produce to the store shelves in a much more timely manner than even the bigger grocery chains here in southwestern Ontario.

I live 6 months of the year in Florida and am frankly amazed at the shelf life of fresh goods in the American south compared to the crap we're being forced to accept in Canada.

Notwithstanding price, if I have a choice of buying a packet of Spring Mix salad from store A that has been on a truck for days coming north with a reefer that hasn't been monitored accurately VERSUS a packet from store B delivered by a trucking company beholden to Walmart to deliver in a timely manner where the reefer temp cards are checked as a matter of course; guess which company gets my buck?

If the truckers are being regulated by: "either deliver to our spec's or we get somebody else to haul our stuff"; GREAT! Win, win for us.

I'm fed up with purchasing from these so-called "better" local stores to have the stuff be rotten when I open the package.

As to the package of steaks that are fixed price; the weights are clearly marked on the package for you to compare the "unit" price or walking down to the produce section and throwing the article on the hanging scale will also tell you what you're paying per oz./mg. with little math required.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Well I live in Niagara and the food business is so competitive here that the grocery store are the best I have ever seen. In terms of variety, price, freshness and general service they are just the best. I have travelled all over Canada and the USA and I have never seen such great grocery choices. The local Walmart just does not compare in any way.

I have been a trucker delivering to both Walmart and Loblaws stores and I can tell you this. The entire supply chain at Loblaws is so superior to Walmart that there is no comparison at all to be made. I would also like to point out that we truckers were always treated with respect and care at Loblaws while at Walmart we were treated like DIRT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada