Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 AM

18 posts, read 68,506 times

Advertisements

Get a passport. It's not a big hassle like you are making it seem. If you don't have one, I can almost guarantee you that you won't be allowed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Blinkers; as a Canadian who crosses the border by land a couple of times per year and who also has lined up with the rest of tourists south of the border with Mexico at places like Algodones Mx. I can attest to the fact that U.S citizens are more constrained by their own countries (U.S.) requirements than by ours (Canada) in that, when U.S. citizens are RETURNING to the U.S., they are being held to more rigid proofs of their citizenship than in the past. It is less so than when trying to enter Canada. I've witnessed on many occasions, the vehicle in front of me entering Canada with U.S. plates having to answer a series of verbal questions only; destination, intent of visit, duration of stay, etc., without having to pass over any documents at all, and this as recent as just this week.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
I got a couple friends who have a boat!!

JUST KIDDING C.I.A.!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
...you could enter Canada without a passport but you have to have the passport to re enter the USA....
Bingo.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM

"How long does it take to get a passport?
That depends on the time of year submitted, because of the seasonal nature of travel. During peak travel periods, the normal processing time ranges from six to eight weeks. If you need a passport more quickly you can use our service, which will take anywhere from 24 hours to two weeks depending on the service you select."

Passport Questions ? How Long Does It Take To Get a US Passport?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
Aside from entering illegally lol? I really want to go to Canada this August but I probably won't be able to get my hand on a passport by then - is there any other reasonable way to get in? Or are the borders totally closed unless you have one now?
Technically, the Canadians do not require a passport or enhanced drivers license at the border, Just proof of citizenship... The problem is getting back to the US... The US requires a Passport, Passport Card, NEXUS or Enhanced Drivers License... 9/11 paranoia never went away.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:44 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
Technically, the Canadians do not require a passport or enhanced drivers license at the border, Just proof of citizenship... The problem is getting back to the US... The US requires a Passport, Passport Card, NEXUS or Enhanced Drivers License... 9/11 paranoia never went away.
I sometimes wonder if on 9/11 if the CN tower, Old Montreal or BC Place Stadium were the target by terrorists, if Canada would have adopted similar draconian security measures. Wouldn't surprise me.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I sometimes wonder if on 9/11 if the CN tower, Old Montreal or BC Place Stadium were the target by terrorists, if Canada would have adopted similar draconian security measures. Wouldn't surprise me.
They certainly would have. IMHO, requiring a passport is not draconian anyways! Just because Canada and the USA are friendly nations doesn't mean that security should be compromised. Personally, if I were running a country's border control, I wouldn't let anyone cross the border without a passport.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:11 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
It costs more than $100 USD to get a passport. That's a bit much to pay for just a quick trip across the border.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Most European countries allow people to cross borders without going through checkpoints. It's as easy as going from state to state or province to province.

What harm could there be? Do you really think terrorists would bother with border crossings when they could take some side road through the mountains? The US/Canadian border doesn't have a huge fence like we do with Mexico...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada