Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which territory should Canada conquer-- I mean, annex next?
Turks and Caicos Islands 4 13.33%
Barbados 1 3.33%
Bermuda 3 10.00%
Jamaica 2 6.67%
West Indies Federation 0 0%
Alaska 7 23.33%
Vermont 2 6.67%
Maine 3 10.00%
St. Pierre and Miquelon 4 13.33%
Other 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Can you guys take Orlando off our hands? I was down there in March and it seems like 50% of the people there were from Ontario anyway.
I am sure the Canadian government would LOVE to have all the tourist dollars and tax revenue generated in Orlando. So yeah! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
The poll is crazy, but I want Alaska back. Seriously.
Sorry; you never owned it; Russia did. It was purchased by the US many years ago, directly. March 30, 1867 by proxy of William Seward, for the princely sum of $7.2M, which many Americans thought was outright folly, hence "Seward's Folly". No-one's laughing now, least of all, the Russians!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And it thrives, versus the Yukon Territories and the NWT. It has benefited from the US government's policy of continuous investment (most of it's roads are paved, it has an interior railway, and very profitable mining, oil production, fishing and tourism industries) unlike the wild and wooly Yukon!

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Sorry; you never owned it; Russia did. It was purchased by the US many years ago, directly. March 30, 1867 by proxy of William Seward, for the princely sum of $7.2M, which many Americans thought was outright folly, hence "Seward's Folly". No-one's laughing now, least of all, the Russians!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

And it thrives, versus the Yukon Territories and the NWT. It has benefited from the US government's policy of continuous investment (most of it's roads are paved, it has an interior railway, and very profitable mining, oil production, fishing and tourism industries) unlike the wild and wooly Yukon!
When I said "Seriously" I didn't mean seriously. But thanks for the unnecessary lecture and bashing of all things Canadian, as per usual.

Last edited by Yac; 01-17-2014 at 05:34 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Could you explain what you mean about their current conditions being vastly improved by joining Canada? Honestly, I was under the impression they are doing okay for themselves as a developing country. According to a variety of sources on internet Cuba has a 99.8% literacy rate, an infant death rate lower than some developed countries and an average life expectancy of 77.64. In 2006 Cuba was the only nation in the world which met the WWF's definition of sustainable development having an ecological footprint of less than 1.8 hectares per capita and a Human Development Index of over 0.8 for 2007. That is a very high HDI for a developing country, ranking right up there with already developed countries such USA, Canada and developed European countries.

Venezuela and China are Cuba's 2 top trading partners, with Canada 3rd, Spain 4th, and America 5th (cash up front only of course for American trade). They have their own source of oil, plus trade with Venezuela and Brazil for additional oil. So I thought they were doing okay without any interference from other countries and I'd be interested to know what additional benefits or vast improvements you think they might get from joining Canada?

Xboxes, second cars, botox, fruit smoothies, and pilates.

Totally worth it.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oycrumbler View Post
xboxes, second cars, botox, fruit smoothies, and pilates.

Totally worth it.
Botox and xBox

Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Xboxes, second cars, botox, fruit smoothies, and pilates.

Totally worth it.
^^^^This^^^^^ Especially the fruit smoothies.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:53 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
We have more than enough land as it is. When the Turks and Caicos wanted to join Canada I thought. Canadian welfare rates are way above the average pat rhese people get. Canadian pensions would create an upperclass of retired people. Nope, having those islands would be sort of like having another huge Native reservation.

Also, t would be against "The Monroe doctorine" and get us into trouble with Uncle Sam.
Technically, the Monroe Doctrine is about European nations interfering with the affairs of countries in the Western Hemisphere. It really wouldn't apply to Canada, especially if the population of the Turks and Caicos Islands supported annexation.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:55 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
The poll is crazy, but I want Alaska back. Seriously.
Alaska was never Canada's. It was part of the Russian Empire, and the Russians were the first to colonize it (and later, a small amount of Spanish claims evidenced by the towns of Valdez and Cordova/Córdoba) before the Alaska Purchase transferred sovereignty from Russia to the U.S.

Anyways, what I heard before was that there was a movement by Canada to annex and Turks and Caicos Islands, but it was ultimately abandoned under Pierre Trudeau. As much as Canada needs to have some warm land (sorry, BC is cool and soggy ), I don't think it's gonna happen. If it does happen, Canada will most likely, as a sovereign entity, cease to exist

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 10-07-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Alaska was never Canada's. It was part of the Russian Empire...
Uh yeah. I know. I don't really want Orlando either. The whole thread is a bit of a lark.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Uh yeah. I know. I don't really want Orlando either. The whole thread is a bit of a lark.
Okay, okay, we'll throw in someplace fairly decent that likes hockey. Spokane. If you really twist our arms, Rochester also. Tell me you won't drive too hard a bargain; it's not like we're also asking you to take Bakersfield or Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada