Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:05 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL If you only follow Canadian politics how can you say the democratic party is slightly more to the right than our conservative party? Please tell us how you came to this conclusion?

How do you exlpain this GM10?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHRkLmTkj6k
It's common knowledge... American politics is completely different. Everyone knows America is one of the most right wing countries in the world, not only in comparison to Canada. It is natural for their democratic party to be very conservative from the perspective of Canada.

I won't just focus on feelings here. How about facts? Gay marriage was only legalized last year in all states in the U.S. 9 years later than Canada. There is no universal health care. Democrats or republicans wouldn't implement it or anything close to the level of social services Canada has. One doesn't need to be a genius to see that, I don't know why you can't see it...

As for that video, you have to realize that is in the parliament of Canada, not coming from average Canadians. A lot of average working people I talk to don't really think Obama is a very good president, most who don't think American politics is great in the first place. Most people in Canada lean centre to centre-left, if you combine NDP and Liberal votes from past elections you can see that. Though there are the odd bunch here who hate Obama because they are ultra conservative and less educated and they enjoy American republicans, but they are in the minority.

In my opinion, Canadian politics is more interesting. They focus on real issues that matter. Not war and conflicts. Real issues average people can benefit in their life. They are usually not just promises, things actually get done in Canada. Far more progressive than the U.S. Overall Canadian politics is just much more interesting to me than American politics. I do kind of like Jill Stein though, the leader of the Green Party in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:33 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Some of you guys do realize there are still developed countries that have not legalized gay marriage, right? Not sure why it's used to show how the US is the "most right wing" developed country when many others still don't have it. Have any of you seen the Democrat party platform for 2016? If things like wanting to good access to abortion, legalize pot, $15 an hour minimum wage, going against trade deals, and gun control aren't left wing policies then I don't know what is. Saying the Democrats are right of the cons is joke and shows how little some follow the Democrats.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 07-27-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 01:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
It's common knowledge... American politics is completely different. Everyone knows America is one of the most right wing countries in the world, not only in comparison to Canada. It is natural for their democratic party to be very conservative from the perspective of Canada.
I didn't say our politics weren't different. You said that the democratic party is to the right of our conservative party. You didn't really answer that specific question I asked. I am not saying you are wrong I just wanted to know how you came to that conclusion. The democratic party doesn't seem "very conservative" from my perspective.

Quote:
I won't just focus on feelings here. How about facts? Gay marriage was only legalized last year in all states in the U.S. 9 years later than Canada. There is no universal health care. Democrats or republicans wouldn't implement it or anything close to the level of social services Canada has. One doesn't need to be a genius to see that, I don't know why you can't see it...
Sure I see America overall being a bit more conservative than Canada, but I don't really see the democrats being to the right of our conservative party. 9 years after Canada? That is not really a long time. So I guess the liberal party of Canada must be to the right of conservative parties of a couple European countries since they legalized gay marriage before we did? The democrats have been trying to implement health care, didn't they implement Obama care? I believe health care and social services vary from state to state.

For some one that claims to not know much about America you sure have a lot to say about it.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:21 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Sure I see America overall being a bit more conservative than Canada, but I don't really see the democrats being to the right of our conservative party. 9 years after Canada? That is not really a long time. So I guess the liberal party of Canada must be to the right of conservative parties of a couple European countries since they legalized gay marriage before we did? The democrats have been trying to implement health care, didn't they implement Obama care? I believe health care and social services vary from state to state.
Obama Care is not universal health care. It only benefits insurance companies, not the people. That's why it's criticized so much. But from both sides, America is weird that way, they have extreme right and moderate right. No centre (unless we add in third parties). That's why they are like the conservative party here in Canada or slightly right of them, our conservative party is usually centre-right.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Obama Care is not universal health care. It only benefits insurance companies, not the people.
LOL I don't follow american news.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Obama Care is not universal health care.
Whatever it is 15-20 million people now have healthcare coverage that didnt have it before.
As for American news its got a little too boring for me,seems like its 24/7 political commentary interspersed with the occasional breaking news story of another mass shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada