Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Do you know of any people in your area who have some of my families' names? They include Bordelon (my own), Chiasson (spelled a variety of ways), and Benoit. I live in Lafayette, Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
I know some Benoits in Cornwall near Ottawa/Montreal

Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
I know some Benoits in Cornwall near Ottawa/Montreal
Thanks. I'm asking because we're thinking about doing a family history and we know some of our ancestors came from what is now Nova Scotia. While in the Navy, we found out a new sailor was coming onboard named Benoit. I was excited to meet another Cajun. Imagine my surprise that he was from the east coast and he pronounced his family name as Ben noit. I later learned some of the Acadians who were kicked out had to land on the east coast due to sickness and death.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
You might have better luck posting in the People Search section, some of the members there are truly amazing as to what they can sometimes unearth ,You might have some trouble with the Benoit name though as its almost as popular as Smith..

Looks like an enormous job as just a quick Google search under the Bordelon name comes up with much data..
http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=off...iw=853&bih=492

Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Do you know of any people in your area who have some of my families' names? They include Bordelon (my own), Chiasson (spelled a variety of ways), and Benoit. I live in Lafayette, Louisiana.
Coquitlam is a municipality within the Metro Vancouver (formerly GVRD). See map below.
And Coquitlam-Mallairdville is one of its electoral districts, on the north side of Fraser River.

History
Quote:
The first French Canadians who settled in what was to become Maillardville crossed Canada all the way from Rockland, Ontario and Hull and Sherbrooke in Quebec. It was the know-how of the French Canadians in the forest industry along with their powerful work ethic that incited Fraser Mills – which was to become the largest saw mill operation in the British Empire – to recruit manpower all the way from Eastern Canada to their logging operations in B.C. For a Quebecer in those days, the offer was very attractive: a steady job, daily wages of $2.50 for a 10- hour work day, 6 days a week. In addition, they were promised access to land for their families to settle, wood for building a house and the freedom to preserve their language. They were even told they could leave their umbrellas behind in Quebec; the weather was so fine in their new homeland! The first contingent of approximately 100 adventurers arrived at the Fraser Mills Station on September 26, 1909, on a train called the “Honeymoon Special” because so many couples got married the night before they left. The group of pioneers was quick to learn what a hard lifestyle awaited them, where everything needed to be built from scratch, but they must have seen the good side too, since very few of them returned back East. On the contrary, the new arrivals encouraged their distant families to come out to join them.
A quick search at 411.ca pulls out a list of "Chiasson" , and
chiasson, british columbia - 411.ca Person Search

"Benoit" in British Columbia
benoit, british columbia - 411.ca Person Search

But nothing on "Bordelon". Could it be spelled differently?

Old 07-08-2012, 09:36 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Benoît is a very common surname across French-speaking Canada, including Quebec of course. Chiasson is an Acadian name, found in Quebec and elsewhere in Canada but most common in Acadian parts of Atlantic Canada like SE New Brunswick.

Bordelon sounds like a corruption of Bordeleau, which loosely translated means Edgewater. This is also a common name in Quebec and other francophone parts of Canada.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I know some Chiassons in New Brunswick. Benoit I have only ever encountered as a first name.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Benoit is a reasonably common surname in Newfoundland.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM

233 posts, read 538,563 times
I believe there are also Chiasson's in areas of Newfoundland and Labrador as well.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
I know a Chiasson in Vancouver, but I don't know his family history, he could well be of Acadian stock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada