Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:11 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. And here I always just thought it was beautiful and an exciting challenge. If you think it's dangerous driving it in BC then I guess I would be bored stiff driving all of the rest of it east of the Rockies.

Nope, I'm one of those rare persons who is NEVER bored. My wife says, "He's the only person interested in watchig rain Falling". LOL. On a more serious note, I have seen too many fatal crashes on the Trans Canada and more of them between Calgary and Van than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Nope, I'm one of those rare persons who is NEVER bored. My wife says, "He's the only person interested in watchig rain Falling". LOL. On a more serious note, I have seen too many fatal crashes on the Trans Canada and more of them between Calgary and Van than anywhere else.
I was just pulling your leg. But you're right, there have been a lot of fatal crashes between Calgary and Vancouver. Also, for anyone driving the Trans Canada in BC for the very first time I would recommend against driving at night on the stretch through the Fraser Canyon from Cache Creek to Hope. It is beautiful (and challenging) in the day time but driving it in the dark you have to drive cautiously and be super alert, it can have seasoned canyon drivers tensed up and gritting their teeth even when there's no rain or snow. It's especially important to watch for rock fall on that stretch of road.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
I read on Wikipedia that there's no national highway system in Canada like the U.S. has, that highway construction is the responsibility of the individual provinces. Do some provinces have better highways than others? Does it take longer to build roads in Canada because of the weather? How would you compare Canadian highways to American highways?

Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I read on Wikipedia that there's no national highway system in Canada like the U.S. has, that highway construction is the responsibility of the individual provinces. Do some provinces have better highways than others? Does it take longer to build roads in Canada because of the weather? How would you compare Canadian highways to American highways?
Canada is one of the only countries in the world where the highest level of government (federal in our case) does not have a concerted national highway program.

Highways are a provincial responsibility here, although the feds do contribute financing to highway projects. This is done on a case-by-case basis by cutting individual deals with the provinces for projects rather than as part of a larger cross-Canada plan as I said.

The quality of Canadian roads is quite variable. Generally they seem to be better in the west than in the east, but once again this varies also.

Quebec used to have some of the worst roads but has gone on a refurbishment binge (partly in response to a fatal overpass collapse) in the past few years and things have improved quite a bit here. Especially on the major highways.

Ontario used to have excellent highways but then they ran into money problems and they had only so much cash to go around. So they downloaded a lot of their highways to local governments, and kept only the MAJOR-MAJOR ones under provincial authority. The end result was that the main highways in Ontario that are maintained by the province are in excellent shape, but the locally-maintained ones are often less-than-stellar.

The main difference with the U.S. I find is that Canada has a lot of gaps in the network. Especially when travelling across the country. In the States, there seems to be a larger plan that results in a highway being built over the entire required distance once and for all. In Canada, you can have 500 km of freeway, then two lanes for 100 km, then 200 km of freeway, then a super-2 for 50 km, then more freeway, etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Are there any highways in Canada as wide as this one (Katy Freeway in Houston)?

Houston, TX - Google Maps

Does it take more time to build roads in Canada because of the short summers?

Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 AM

179 posts, read 829,845 times
Quote:
Are there any highways in Canada as wide as this one (Katy Freeway in Houston)?

Houston, TX - Google Maps

Macdonald-Cartier Freeway, Mississauga, ON, Canada - Google Maps

Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

311 posts, read 1,138,417 times
The Trans Canada Highway seems to work very well here for me. Then again, I have nothing to compare it to because I've never seen the highways in the U.S. But it is quite functional and it's never really overcrowded.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:44 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Several reports put the toronto section of this highway as busiest in north america and 2nd busiest in the world.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
They seem to do fine in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Montana, etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM

179 posts, read 829,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Several reports put the toronto section of this highway as busiest in north america and 2nd busiest in the world.

I've read that the 401 is actually the busiest highway in the world.

List of World record highways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada