Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,455,255 times

Advertisements

What are places or events in Canada that would grab and fascinate a growing mind? Some Canadian experience that's oompah. Thinking of a b/d present for a 10yo, some sort of a "let's go" surprise. The b/d is almost in June, though, so something like skiing would be not feasible (too bad). But still, what are Canadian things a Canadian should show to their kid?

And generally - it would be nice to have a list of things to see in Canada.

Help me brainstorm please!

1. Cirque du Soleil (top of the list, but ---- nothing for the end of May ). Great packages for 2 kids +2 adults starting from $178 (regular $600).
2. Niagara Falls
3. Mont Tremblant (just throwing it in here for general reference, good until mid-April).
4. Ann of Green Gables - the Musical festival in Charlottetown, PEI -- ??
5. Taking a train across Canada ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
I remember when I was a kid, natural beauty really made me happy. Has the kid in question ever seen mountains? I'd recommend going up to see Banff or Lake Louise, and going for a horseback or sleigh ride in the rockies. And if you're really set on seeing Cirque, I think there's Cirque in Edmonton from May 29 to June 16th, although Edmonton's a good 4-5 hour drive from Banff (3 hours from Calgary). I think Skiing at Banff actually lasts until late May, so you might want to call them, it's possible you may still be able to get some late season skiing at that time of year.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 04-21-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,433,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
What are places or events in Canada that would grab and fascinate a growing mind? Some Canadian experience that's oompah. Thinking of a b/d present for a 10yo, some sort of a "let's go" surprise. The b/d is almost in June, though, so something like skiing would be not feasible (too bad). But still, what are Canadian things a Canadian should show to their kid?

And generally - it would be nice to have a list of things to see in Canada.

Help me brainstorm please!

1. Cirque du Soleil (top of the list, but ---- nothing for the end of May ). Great packages for 2 kids +2 adults starting from $178 (regular $600).
2. Niagara Falls
3. Mont Tremblant (just throwing it in here for general reference, good until mid-April).
4. Ann of Green Gables - the Musical festival in Charlottetown, PEI -- ??
5. Taking a train across Canada ?
If the kid is really into trains, that would be it. The Canadian is more like a land cruise though, and has pricing reflecting it as well. lol

Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 PM

The Rockies, yes! She's never seen the real mountains. Adding this on the list (as well as Whistler/Blackcomb). Horse riding in Banff looks amazing. Studying the websites...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
If the kid is really into trains, that would be it. The Canadian is more like a land cruise though, and has pricing reflecting it as well. lol
Not really into trains as of now, but no doubt it would be a great new adventure for a starry-eyed 10yo. Agree there on prices, it's more of an once-in-a-lifetime expenditure. But hey, anything on the West will be as expensive for us, travelling from the eastern side. (France is closer).

Last edited by nuala; 04-21-2013 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-21-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
And if you're really set on seeing Cirque, I think there's Cirque in Edmonton from May 29 to June 16th, although Edmonton's a good 4-5 hour drive from Banff (3 hours from Calgary).
My heart is really set on the Cirque. The problem is the distance. Last year I remember they were showing in Quebec City - still a 10-hour drive from NS. But Edmonton oy vey! They are showing in NYC right now which is closer to us, but wrapping up earlier than the b/d date.

Quote:
I think Skiing at Banff actually lasts until late May, so you might want to call them, it's possible you may still be able to get some late season skiing at that time of year.
Till May 5:
Quote:
Visit Lake Louise for skiing, riding, rentals, lessons, dining, shopping and child daycare until May 5th, 2013.
I think Whistler is open almost year-round - ?

Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,529,527 times
Quote:
My heart is really set on the Cirque. The problem is the distance. Last year I remember they were showing in Quebec City - still a 10-hour drive from NS. But Edmonton oy vey! They are showing in NYC right now which is closer to us, but wrapping up earlier than the b/d date.

Till May 5:

I think Whistler is open almost year-round - ?
You're right, they do, there's mountain top glaciars. That sounds pretty cool, and you could still do the horseback riding at the bottom if you wanted to, and check out all of the other cool activities at Whistler/Blackcomb, which is really a world class resort. You also have the option of popping down to Vancouver at some point and doing a few activities here if you care to, although I'd spend the majority of the time at Whistler if not all of it.

Now, I didn't know where you were before, now that I know you're in Nova Scotia, well perhaps a thing to do might be to go whale watching at Tadousac which has super good whale watching because it's where the saint Lawrence starts to become salty and the Saguenay river flows out, so tons of whales congregate there to feed in the summer. Then perhaps drive on down to Quebec City and see the Citadel and some of the stuff there for a day, and then go and enjoy all of the kid centred stuff in the Montreal area, like Granby Zoo or Park Safari or the Biodome (all great zoos but all very different in heir approach), La Ronde amusement park, or some of the other cool stuff for kids in the area like waterparks and insectariums, and the planetarium. Whatever she's into. Or maybe go to Toronto and do CN tower, Canada's wonderland (better then La Ronde), Toronto Zoo, Ripley's Aquarium and Niagara Falls?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
You're right, they do, there's mountain top glaciars. That sounds pretty cool, and you could still do the horseback riding at the bottom if you wanted to, and check out all of the other cool activities at Whistler/Blackcomb, which is really a world class resort. You also have the option of popping down to Vancouver at some point and doing a few activities here if you care to, although I'd spend the majority of the time at Whistler if not all of it.
Oh this gets the juices going. So many activities on the mountain.

Quote:
Now, I didn't know where you were before, now that I know you're in Nova Scotia, well perhaps a thing to do might be to go whale watching at Tadousac which has super good whale watching because it's where the saint Lawrence starts to become salty and the Saguenay river flows out, so tons of whales congregate there to feed in the summer. Then perhaps drive on down to Quebec City and see the Citadel and some of the stuff there for a day, and then go and enjoy all of the kid centred stuff in the Montreal area, like Granby Zoo or Park Safari or the Biodome (all great zoos but all very different in heir approach), La Ronde amusement park, or some of the other cool stuff for kids in the area like waterparks and insectariums, and the planetarium. Whatever she's into. Or maybe go to Toronto and do CN tower, Canada's wonderland (better then La Ronde), Toronto Zoo, Ripley's Aquarium and Niagara Falls?
Heartfelt thank you for all these ideas!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,785 times
Quote:
The Rockies, yes! She's never seen the real mountains. Adding this on the list (as well as Whistler/Blackcomb). Horse riding in Banff looks amazing. Studying the websites...
If you're in already going to be in central Alberta, the short trip out to Drumheller and Dinosaur Provincial Park might be worthwhile.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
If you're in already going to be in central Alberta, the short trip out to Drumheller and Dinosaur Provincial Park might be worthwhile.
Wow, never knew Canada had a place for dinosaur bones prospecting! Sounds very interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada