Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 3,434 times

Advertisements

Just wondering. Starbucks is HUGE in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Were are you getting the idea Starbucks isnt a big deal in Canada? (Topic title)
How Starbucks has conquered Canada - The Globe and Mail

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05...n_5399685.html

Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,909 times
You can see a Starbucks from the entrance of another Starbucks in Parkdale.

Not too shabby.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:42 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
I guess it depends on what part of Canada, or how many Tim Horton's you pass on the way to Starbucks.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I guess it depends on what part of Canada, or how many Tim Horton's you pass on the way to Starbucks.
Starbucks has grown quite a bit here and over 1000 stores and a higher per cap number vs the U.S is certainly nothing to be dismissive about - but Tim Horton's with 3700 stores in Canada is still the king of coffee

btw - Tim's has 807 stores in the U.S now - not too bad.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
In Vancouver it's different than the rest of Canada, as this article points out.

Starbucks as everyone knows started in Seattle. Before they were big, they guys that started it used to come up to Vancouver and buy their beans through Murchies, a local Tea and Coffee Merchant.
The reason I read, is that it was easier than ordering in Seattle at the time, and there was no comparable place to buy directly from in Seattle back then.

The first Starbucks opened outside of the US was also in Vancouver. It's still there at the old CPR station which is now the station for the West Coast Express, Seabus and Skytrain.

Tim Hortons came much later on to Vancouver. I grew up not even knowing what it was. I've never seen the attraction of Tim's
( sorry Fusion2 ). I find the coffee bland.

This bit I find very true.

"Quality, however, is only half the battle. In B.C., there “is an absence of cultural attachment” to Tim Hortons, says Bruce Philp, a Toronto-based brand consultant and author of Consumer Republic. Many of its most famous commercials—like Sidney Crosby playing hockey with kids on a frozen pond—look like scenes out of Ontario, not B.C."

Why Vancouver is the only market Tim Hortons hasn't cracked | BC Business

If given a choice between Starbucks and Tim's, I'd go with Starbucks. However in reality, there are so many more much, much better coffee places in Vancouver, I rarely go to Starbuck's at all.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In Vancouver it's different than the rest of Canada, as this article points out.

Starbucks as everyone knows started in Seattle. Before they were big, they guys that started it used to come up to Vancouver and buy their beans through Murchies, a local Tea and Coffee Merchant.
The reason I read, is that it was easier than ordering in Seattle at the time, and there was no comparable place to buy directly from in Seattle back then.

The first Starbucks opened outside of the US was also in Vancouver. It's still there at the old CPR station which is now the station for the West Coast Express, Seabus and Skytrain.

Tim Hortons came much later on to Vancouver. I grew up not even knowing what it was. I've never seen the attraction of Tim's

"Quality, however, is only half the battle. In B.C., there “is an absence of cultural attachment” to Tim Hortons, says Bruce Philp, a Toronto-based brand consultant and author of Consumer Republic. Many of its most famous commercials—like Sidney Crosby playing hockey with kids on a frozen pond—look like scenes out of Ontario, not B.C."

If given a choice between Starbucks and Tim's, I'd go with Starbucks. However in reality, there are so many more much, much better coffee places in Vancouver, I rarely go to Starbuck's at all.
Are they chains or little indie places? I prefer the latter but there's only a couple in Sudbury. When I went to Van for the first and only time in 2011 I don't even think I had started drinking coffee yet and didn't really take notice to the cafe scene.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Are they chains or little indie places? I prefer the latter but there's only a couple in Sudbury. When I went to Van for the first and only time in 2011 I don't even think I had started drinking coffee yet and didn't really take notice to the cafe scene.
Some are small local chains like Welcome | Caffè Artigiano and Sciué | Roman Inspired. Freshly Created. Anytime of the Day.. Also https://jjbeancoffee.com

Some old time favourites like Cafe Calabria, Authentic Italian Cafe on Commercial Drive, Vancouver, BC. Italian Coffee Vancouver

Many other trendy places like this Revolver

Within one block of where I live there are 8 coffee shops. All surviving, all busy.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Don't get me wrong I'm not a huge lover of Tim Horton's either (though I really do prefer it to Starbucks) - i'm just saying its hard to deny that Tim's is by far the largest coffee chain in the country.. Starbucks is still waaaaaay back in number 2 spot.. I grab a Tim's for the convenience of it.. If I had an opportunity to grab a Balzac's or any number of smaller local coffee places I would but kind of hard when all there is at work is Tim's.. Heck, I'd take my own home brewed stuff over Tims or Starbucks - my go to coffee at home is Cuban.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
I have to say..The only Starbuck Coffee I have ever tasted was a "Company Sponsored Seminar's....Each time..I took one sip...set down cup/mug on table and opted for juice or water Hated it..tasted like a watered down Cappuccino or sump'ting YUK!! Even Tim Horton's coffee tastes/flavours varied from location to locations..some outlets taste like burnt coffee ..Course I'm a black, no sugar and no milk/creme kind of gal..so I tend to stick with my own home brewed coffee...

I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada