Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times

Advertisements

Right. It's just a 4.6 % increase in taxes on the top 2 % of the wealthiest Americans that I believe everyone is arguing about. Their tax rate was 39.6 % before the tax cuts, and 35 % after.

"[Both Republicans and Democrats agreed ] that the 2001 income tax cuts should be extended for everyone else — that is, for the roughly 98 percent of households in which couples have less than $250,000 in annual income or individuals earn less than $200,000.

The fight was over whether to extend the income tax cuts of 2001 for the top 2 percent on income that exceeds that level, and whether to extend the cuts in capital gains and dividend taxes that were the heart of the 2003 bill.

The revenue stakes were huge. Ending the tax cuts for the rich would bring additional revenues to the government of more than $678 billion through 2020, the administration has projected. Keeping in place the tax cuts for everyone else would cost nearly $4 trillion, and more counting the interest on that increase to the federal debt."

I am all for not extending tax cuts for the wealthy.

Bush Tax Cuts - The New York Times

Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM

654 posts, read 1,495,784 times
[quote=ellemint;26913339]I agree, Canadians are spineless and never use their power as consumers.

And there's always this excuse --- we pay more because we have so many social benefits and a good education system. One has nothing to do with the other. It's not taxes or universal healthcare making a dealer charge more to some poor Canadian sap living in Markham Ontario for a car made there, than they do in

It's greed, and a sappy government that allows things like that to happen. The government should step in and tell those auto manufacturers that if they want tax breaks to operate in Ontario, then they need to sell Canadian cars to Canadians at a price equal to or less than what they charge Americans.

And the same for thousands of other products for which Canadians get ripped off.[/QUOTE

No we don't need government intervention, Canadians have to grow a spine and shop smart.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Don't worry. The Canadianization of America continues apace.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

....... if your description of Canada is the way you see it its not going to be a pleasant life for you subjecting yourself constantly to this horrible life in Canada.
Most of us really like Canada and when we hear some one who constantly complains about the place it makes those of us who are proud to be Canadians wonder why the malcontented insist on staying..
Ellemint are you incarcerated here in Canada?
She did say in another post one time that she had never wanted to return to Canada and is here against her will and wanted to go back to USA if she ever possibly can. I don't think she can go back there again from the sounds of things. Maybe she was deported from USA but I don't think she's incarcerated, probably just not allowed to leave Canada. I guess if any person is feeling trapped in a place where they don't want to be and that isn't as cushy and cheap as what they'd become accustomed to, they would be bitter about it so maybe that's why she takes her misery out on other Canadians who are happy in Canada. I wish that she could go back to USA again and be happy there.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
The incarceration thing was just a thought that crossed my mind as most people who hate the country they live in would usually move to another country rather than spend a lifetime in an apparent living hell that Ellmint seems to think of as Canada.
Ellemint if you could live in the USA sometime in the past why not just go back?

Old 11-13-2012, 02:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
If you don't like reading any valid criticisms of Canada, then don't read my posts. If you don't think my points are valid, than why don't you make the effort to address them or find data and links that disprove them? Or are you too lazy to do that and would rather resort to ignorant insults about deportation, incarceration, or that I should leave the country just because you don't agree with my viewpoints?

jambo and zoisite --- maybe you would feel more comfortable living in China or North Korea where no one is allowed to criticize their country or they get imprisoned or just disappear.

Last edited by ellemint; 11-13-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 03:20 AM

254 posts, read 316,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you don't like reading any valid criticisms of Canada, then don't read my posts. If you don't think my points are valid, than why don't you make the effort to address them or find data and links that disprove them? Or are you too lazy to do that and would rather resort to ignorant insults about deportation, incarceration, or that I should leave the country just because you don't agree with my viewpoints?

jambo and zoisite --- maybe you would feel more comfortable living in China or North Korea where no one is allowed to criticize their country or they get imprisoned or just disappear.
Reductio ad absurdum.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post

ooooh touchy... lets see if i got this right you come from longterm residence in the USA and now hate my country, constantly criticize most aspects of it particularly its tax structure and its highly paid public workers,then call me lazy and ignorant and spineless for politely suggesting perhaps you should go back to your utopia to the south... yeah right.......
For some one claiming to be Liberal you sure sounding like one of them teabagger's.

Last edited by jambo101; 11-14-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM

21 posts, read 30,647 times
I stopped caring about US elections some time ago. There was a time when it made a difference in the world, but you know what, whoever the sitting US president is simply doesn't matter that much anymore. American power will continue to decline as China rises, and no American president can change the reality of that. They will continue to spend trillions on their military while their debt piles up, they will continue to be subjected to an ineffective health care system (they spend more per capita than any "commie" country w/ universal health care, but get less bang for their buck and coverage is not guaranteed), their education system is in shambles, and even the voting system is a dysfunctional decentralized mess (don't you just love "less government"). The only change Obama has brought is slight improvements in social equality (e.g. overturning Don't Ask Don't Tell), as well as better foreign relations (rhetoric wise). Other than that, it's just Bush II. I did notice that CNN was covering the new Chinese leadership change though, quite extensively. If that isn't a sign of the times, then I don't know what is.

On the other hand, one thing that has always irritated me is how some Canadians are more concerned with American problems than our own problems. The health care situation in the US is unfortunate, but why is it that whenever someone advocates fixing our own system, there always seems to be a comparison to the US. Yes, Canada's health care system is better than America's ... that's hardly an impressive feat. But compare our health care system to those in Western Europe and you will see we lag behind as well. Canadians who do the USA comparison thing are like people from Cleveland constantly comparing themselves to Detroit. Well yeah, Cleveland's a step above Detroit. But that doesn't say much about Cleveland.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If i was going to vote i'd be backing
"All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants."

Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada