Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 10:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

A 25-year-old Halifax man says he found out the hard way that skateboarding without a helmet can also affect car insurance.

Pat Harland got a call from his auto insurance company — TD Insurance Meloche Monnex — on Thursday. He thought he was going to get a break on his insurance because he hasn't had a claim in his five years with the company.

Helmet fines jeopardize Halifax man's car insurance - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
So he's of the theory that if he has not had a claim he should be able to demonstrate irresponsibility and still not be called to account for that behaviour? Hmmm; interesting viewpoint.

His seatbelt infraction alone, indicates he's not the best judge of that feature.

He's probably one of those who thinks operating a garden tractor, riding a bicycle or piloting a sea doo while inebriated shoudn't cause anyone pause for consideration of insuring his azz while sharing the roads with the rest of us.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,940,118 times
I'm of two minds about this.

Firstly, it's certainly an unfair situation for him to be in. Spurious allegations toward his character aside, there's nothing to suggest that his skateboarding behaviour in any way affects his driving attitude. On the contrary, his driving record appears to be relatively good.

It does appear to be an issue with the Motor Vehicle Act, rather than the insurer, however. the insurer simply refuses to differentiate between types of violations, which is their prerogative.

On the other hand, it's hard to believe this actually comes as much of a shock to him. I find it hard to accept that he was wholly unaware of the structure of license demerits, and he was likely aware that skateboarding without a helmet counted towards demerits, as he'd had the same ticket previously. What did he expect would happen as he racked up more and more tickets? I think playing himself off as a victim is a little rich.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
I think it's absolutely outrageous. Who would know that skate boarding was considered a motor vehicle?..This man IS a victim, what's next? pogo sticks? ice skating? No way should whatever he does or doesn't do on his skate board be considered as having anything to do with the motor vehicle act, and the whole idea of it just blows me away...When he purchased vehicle insurance was he told about that? NOT..it's the most unjust and ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile, and I'm very sorry this young man is facing such bulls##t.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think it's absolutely outrageous. Who would know that skate boarding was considered a motor vehicle?..This man IS a victim, what's next? pogo sticks? ice skating? No way should whatever he does or doesn't do on his skate board be considered as having anything to do with the motor vehicle act, and the whole idea of it just blows me away...When he purchased vehicle insurance was he told about that? NOT..it's the most unjust and ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile, and I'm very sorry this young man is facing such bulls##t.
He would have been told that too many points against his license could make him uninsurable. After his first skateboarding without a helmet ticket, he would very likely have received notice that it was worth points against his license. No matter how outrageous the law, it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Stubblejumper....you say he would "very likely" have received notice that it was worth points against his license"...do you know that for sure?..I doubt that he ever received such notice, thus his surprise. I've been driving for 39 years and had no idea of such a discriminating "law"...does that mean if you ride a bicycle without your helmet, your vehicle insurance will go up?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Stubblejumper....you say he would "very likely" have received notice that it was worth points against his license"...do you know that for sure?..I doubt that he ever received such notice, thus his surprise. I've been driving for 39 years and had no idea of such a discriminating "law"...does that mean if you ride a bicycle without your helmet, your vehicle insurance will go up?
Did you do any research at all before posting?

I wrote "very likely" because according the government of Nova Scotia, they send a warning letter when
a driver reaches 4 demerit points (source) as well as requiring an interview at 6 points (which, if we assume the 2 point minimum the table suggests he would be at).

Furthermore, I was able to find reference to a poor driving record in the frequently asked questions on his insurance company's website.

However, upon further research, The Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act explicitly states that section 170 does not count toward license demerit points (source)

This makes much more sense. It does, however, throw his entire story into disarray. If the entire premise of the story is wrong (as it appears to be), what then caused his loss of insurance?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM

I read your sources Stubblejumper, and I can't see where it includes "skate boards" in the motor vehicle act..I can believe getting a warning letter when a driver reaches 4 demerit points, but that refers to motor vehicles, not skate boards (as I see it)...am I wrong?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I read your sources Stubblejumper, and I can't see where it includes "skate boards" in the motor vehicle act..I can believe getting a warning letter when a driver reaches 4 demerit points, but that refers to motor vehicles, not skate boards (as I see it)...am I wrong?
Skateboards are included in the motor vehicle act, under section 170:

Quote:
170B (1) No person shall ride on or operate a scooter, skate board, in-line skates, roller skates or other device prescribed by the regulations unless the person is wearing a helmet that complies with the regulations and the chin strap of the helmet is securely fastened under the chin.

(2) No parent or guardian of a person under sixteen years of age shall authorize or knowingly permit that person to ride on or operate a scooter, a skate board, in-line skates, roller skates or other device prescribed by the regulations unless the person is wearing a helmet as required by subsection (1).

(3) For greater certainty, nothing in this Section authorizes any person to ride on or operate a scooter, a skate board, in-line skates, roller skates or other device prescribed by the regulations if otherwise prohibited by this Act or another enactment.

(4) Every person who is sixteen years of age or older who violates a provision of this Section is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars.

(5) A peace officer may seize and detain, for a period not to exceed thirty days, a scooter, a skate board, in-line skates, roller skates or other device prescribed by the regulations that is being ridden on or operated by a person not wearing a helmet as required by subsection (1).
what I found suspicious after a second reading, is that section 170 isn't explicitly listed in the demerit list. If that's correct, then there's clearly another reason for the cancellation of his insurance, either one that he's withholding or a case of mistaken identity, or something. If the list is incorrect and it does actually count, then he ought to have received at least one warning letter when he reached 4 points. Either way there appears to be more to the story that he's not telling.

The stupidity of that whole section of the act is another discussion altogether.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Stubblejumper, who would have known? thanks for that...seems craaaazy to me, but there it is...I'm thinking now that you're probably right and maybe their IS more to the story....Do you think that when this man got "points", or even a warning letter he would have not been aware that these "points' would affect his car/truck insurance?..Maybe he assumed (I know ignorance is not a defense) that this was an entirely separate issue...I had no idea what section 170 had to say, and had never really thought to read the motor vehicle act before I purchase my insurance. Maybe the guy just didn't know, and was never informed of this when he purchased his car/truck insurance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada