Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,983 times

Advertisements

Hey people, this is my first post on CD. I'm considering relocating to somewhere in BC. A little background information, I'll try to keep it short.
I currently live in a small city in southern Ontario, am originally from a small town in southern Ontario (population 6000) but am currently and rapidly growing tired of the life that I live here, and have a desire to get out and see what I can do to change that in BC. I believe in a free lifestyle and that if something is worth doing you should just get up and do it.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest to me some places in BC that would fit my requirements for a place to move to, or pass through, or visit. I had a friend (roommate) that lived in Victoria for a while who was going to make the trip with me, but I suspect he went back to jail, because he had a probation appt. at 11 this morning and it's now almost 8 at night and I haven't seen him. So it appears I'm going to be traveling solo.

I'm planning to try and get a rideshare figured out to take me close to my destination, and from there I'm going to be backpacking, basically. I've never been out of the province though and I'm wondering how difficult it will be to live this kind of life.

My budget for this trip (appropriated capitol, so to say), is going to be my last welfare check that I get, probably two months from now or so. Which means I'll have about $600 to last me until I find my destination and find some other means of making money. (A little bit more maybe if I can save some after my travelling equipment/supplies are paid for.)

I'm planning to go out to BC to be free, to commune with nature and the air and the culture and the shoes on my feet. I was thinking of figuring out a good place to start off - somewhere with at least some resources like homeless shelters should I find myself stuck and food banks until I can make some money.
I was hoping to find a place like this that is close to a lot of nature and chill people and opportunities for adventuring. And somewhere where it will be warm enough to camp outside by the time I head out.

I know already that I don't want to go to Vancouver, as it sounds pretty dirty and smelly and dangerous. And I've heard good things about the island, but don't want to waste money getting out there if I end up not liking it. And plus, I'd rather stay on the mainland so that I have more opportunities for getting out to different places for adventuring and finding good places with nature.

Any information or ideas that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:36 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
You're almost broke and coming to BC with almost no money. You can't keep looking at this like a vacation first and foremost, you gotta focus on trying to find some work, being gainfully employed with a little spending money for your free time is alot more pleasant and dignified then living on the streets surviving off charity. That said, I think the place you're wanting to go is the Okanagan Valley. It's a beautiful resort area with tons of super productive agriculture, mostly fruit growing. I think you could apply for work at one of the orchards now, ahead of time, and then go out their knowing you've got a job waiting for you. It's a good place to go to, lots of migrant workers from other parts of Canada come in the summer to pick fruit and party it up in the main city, Kelowna, so they'll be looking for people to chill with. Summers are hot, there's work to be had, and the scenery and nature are really something else. You can also save money on rent because usually they provide board or, if it's fruit picking, they let you camp on the land with facilities for the workers to use. The lower mainland's also a good place for farm work, you can explore the surrounding areas and also pop over and see explore Vancouver without having to live somewhere rough due to the high rents. Anyhow, here's a bunch of random farm work ads:

farm worker
fruit farm workers
Farm labourer

Old 02-26-2013, 06:56 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,044,192 times
Rent in Kelowna is expensive too. If you're poor, moving to BC is a bad life choice, unless you decide to live in a small town out here with low rent. And then you're no better off because most of the small towns out here suck just as bad.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,983 times
Thanks BIMBAM I think that's what I'll try to do. And yeah I don't know much about BC so I'll listen to what you guys have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada