Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 03:44 AM

32 posts, read 162,590 times

Advertisements

As someone who has been to Montreal and Toronto and is currently residing in Vancouver, i wonder how life in Edmonton/Calgary would be like. It is a potential destination for my postsecondary education (i'm non-Canadian though). I feel like the high cost of living in Vancity just doesn't justify its benefits; also it seems quite difficult to fit into social circles here.

Based on my experience from living in those Canadian cities, people in Montreal are more outgoing and less uptight than Vancouverites and Torontonians, and almost everything is more chill there too. What about people in Edmonton and Calgary? Are they friendly and hospitable?

How does the cost of living in Edmonton and Calgary compare to those of Vancouver and Montreal?

And how socially and politically progressive is Edmonton?

*Mods, please delete the other thread in the Edmonton section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:52 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystericblue View Post
Based on my experience from living in those Canadian cities, people in Montreal are more outgoing and less uptight than Vancouverites and Torontonians, and almost everything is more chill there too. What about people in Edmonton and Calgary? Are they friendly and hospitable?
Edmontonians are some of the most friendly and hospitable Canadians that I've met and they're noticeably more friendly and hospitable than Calgarians.

Quote:
How does the cost of living in Edmonton and Calgary compare to those of Vancouver and Montreal?
It probably costs more to live in the trendy parts of Edmonton than it does to live in the trendy parts of Montreal. That being said, while rent is likely lower in Montreal, you do have to pay Quebec Sales Tax there on many purchased goods in addition to the Goods and Services Tax. It's hard for me to say with any certainty because I don't know the current state of the rental market in Montreal.

Do keep in mind, however, that it's much easier to be car-free in Montreal than it is in either Calgary or Edmonton. Being able to get by without a car saves one huge piles of dough, of course.

Calgary is more expensive than either Edmonton or Montreal, and Vancouver is the most expensive of them all.

Unless you're some kind of creative or artsy-fartsy type, the job market is almost certain to be better for most fields in either Calgary or Edmonton than it is in Vancouver or Montreal. You'll also have to be speak both English and French to have a shot at most jobs in Montreal.

Quote:
And how socially and politically progressive is Edmonton?
If you want to wear strange-looking glasses and dress like a hipster, if being anti-American is important to you, if you want to rail against anyone who dares to identify as conservative, if you're self-conscious about being "cultural" (whatever that might mean), if you think that it's important to drone on about your love of the arts, etc., then go to Montreal. Edmonton would be a significantly better choice than Calgary for people who fit the foregoing stereotype, but it's still the prairies, so people are more "live and let live" than they are in either Toronto or Montreal. Do note, however, that Montrealers are not as anti-American as Torontonians. I attribute this to the fact that being anti-American is not a cornerstone of Quebecois culture and identity.

I do hope that this helps you a little bit.

Last edited by maclock; 02-27-2013 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 PM

32 posts, read 162,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Edmontonians are some of the most friendly and hospitable Canadians that I've met and they're noticeably more friendly and hospitable than Calgarians.

It probably costs more to live in the trendy parts of Edmonton than it does to live in the trendy parts of Montreal. That being said, while rent is likely lower in Montreal, you do have to pay Quebec Sales Tax there on many purchased goods in addition to the Goods and Services Tax. It's hard for me to say with any certainty because I don't know the current state of the rental market in Montreal.

Do keep in mind, however, that it's much easier to be car-free in Montreal than it is in either Calgary or Edmonton. Being able to get by without a car saves one huge piles of dough, of course.

Calgary is more expensive than either Edmonton or Montreal, and Vancouver is the most expensive of them all.

Unless you're some kind of creative or artsy-fartsy type, the job market is almost certain to be better for most fields in either Calgary or Edmonton than it is in Vancouver or Montreal. You'll also have to be speak both English and French to have a shot at most jobs in Montreal.

If you want to wear strange-looking glasses and dress like a hipster, if being anti-American is important to you, if you want to rail against anyone who dares to identify as conservative, if you're self-conscious about being "cultural" (whatever that might mean), if you think that it's important to drone on about your love of the arts, etc., then go to Montreal. Edmonton would be a significantly better choice than Calgary for people who fit the foregoing stereotype, but it's still the prairies, so people are more "live and let live" than they are in either Toronto or Montreal. Do note, however, that Montrealers are not as anti-American as Torontonians. I attribute this to the fact that being anti-American is not a cornerstone of Quebecois culture and identity.

I do hope that this helps you a little bit.
I'm definitely more of an artsy fartsy person who appreciates musicals, movies and so on; i'm fine with anything but sports.

And how friendly and hospitable do you think Edmontonians are compared to Vancouverites and Montrealers?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,674 times
Quote:
I'm definitely more of an artsy fartsy person who appreciates musicals, movies and so on; i'm fine with anything but sports.

And how friendly and hospitable do you think Edmontonians are compared to Vancouverites and Montrealers?
Edmonton has a surprisingly vibrant arts scene for a smaller big city, but it still isn't a patch on what is available in Montreal. Do keep in mind that in order to avail oneself of all that Montreal has to offer, however, especially its arts scene, one has to be bilingual (and bicultural to a certain extent). Edmonton, Montreal and Vancouver are all huge hockey towns, although it might be harder to insulate yourself from hockey in Edmonton and Vancouver if hockey hysteria annoys you in any way. I can't compare Edmonton to Vancouver on the arts front. Perhaps someone who is more knowledgable about Vancouver will be able help you out there.

Contrary to the stereotype, I've never found Vancouverites to be particularly unfriendly. That being said, my friends who live there have commented that they can be flaky and that friendships often tend to be superficial. Again, those who know Vancouver better might be able to speak to the friendliness and the hospitality of Vancouverites compared to Edmontonians.

I've met some very nice folks in Montreal, but I've also met a lot of jerks there. There is a certain "big city snarl" that some Montrealers seem to wear with pride. That gets old pretty quick. Montrealers are not quite as friendly and hospitable as Edmontonians on the whole, but they are friendlier and more hospitable than Torontonians by a country mile.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 AM

241 posts, read 713,374 times
I've lived in Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Calgary. If you are a young person with any cultural bent then Edmonton is the last place you would want to live. Calgary is a much better place to live than Edmonton for reasons of culture, proximity to other places (Canmore/Banff), climate (chinooks) and youth. It isn't Montreal, but if you are going to AB then it is really the only decent option for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada