Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 12:43 AM

246 posts, read 758,775 times

Advertisements

I wa surprised by the large populations sizes and impressive skylines of both of these cities, but Im curious about the streetscape in these towns.
Are they like Houston or Phoenix, totally unwalkable with tall buildings? OR do they have an urban, vibrtant feeling to them? Do you feel like you're in a city when you're in Calgary and Edmonton? Could you walk around from neighborhood to neighborhood? Are the two cities that different from each other (i.e. is one much more walkable and urban than the other)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 01:23 AM

134 posts, read 348,015 times
Not sure what you mean by "walkable". Both Edmonton and Calgary are walkable in the sense that you can walk easily within the downtown areas and residential areas. Going from neighbourhood to neighbourhood would be quite a "walk" since neighbourhoods are large. There are usually wide boulevards in both cities that include the sidewalk and grass between the sidewalk and curb so you are never in fear of being run over. You may or may not feel like you are in a big city depending on where you live. Some neighbourhoods are miles away from the downtown area and very quiet, while others can be noisy and have traffic noise.

Edmonton is large (264 square miles) larger than Chicago in area. Calgary is 280 square miles.

The two cities are quite different. Edmonton is a Government city while Calgary is a financial center. Both have a lot to offer. If you research their websites (City of Edmonton :: Home and http://www.calgary.ca/) you can find a lot of useful information.

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Thanks for the response!

I guess what I mean by walkable is...if you lived in these places how easy would it be to get by without a car? Examples of very walkable cities are New York City, Vancouver, and San Francisco. Examples of very unwalkable cities are Phoenix or Houston. I guess another question is how "pedestrian friendly" the streets are, how convenient the public transit is, how interesting the streetscape is. Could I just park my car in the middle of downtown Calgary or Edmonton and walk around and see most of the sights, go bar-hopping, etc? Could I live in parts of these cities and do everything I needed/wanted to by walking or transit?..Wide boulevards are great but is there a lot of pedestrian-friendly infrastructure nearby? (i.e. not big box stores and parking lots, but blocks of shops, restaurants, bars...). Also, how different are Calgary and Edmonton in these respects?

Any more thoughts would be much appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by insertusernamehere View Post
Not sure what you mean by "walkable". Both Edmonton and Calgary are walkable in the sense that you can walk easily within the downtown areas and residential areas. Going from neighbourhood to neighbourhood would be quite a "walk" since neighbourhoods are large. There are usually wide boulevards in both cities that include the sidewalk and grass between the sidewalk and curb so you are never in fear of being run over. You may or may not feel like you are in a big city depending on where you live. Some neighbourhoods are miles away from the downtown area and very quiet, while others can be noisy and have traffic noise.

Edmonton is large (264 square miles) larger than Chicago in area. Calgary is 280 square miles.

The two cities are quite different. Edmonton is a Government city while Calgary is a financial center. Both have a lot to offer. If you research their websites (City of Edmonton :: Home and http://www.calgary.ca/) you can find a lot of useful information.

Cheers!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM

134 posts, read 348,015 times
My personal opinion as an Albertan, is that you need a vehicle to get around in both cities unless you live downtown and are comfortable to live and walk in a limited area (especially true in winter). There is good bus and rapid transit service in both cities, so I guess you could get by with no vehicle if you had to go to areas outside of the downtown.

Edmonton has the beautiful river valley just steps away from the downtown with miles and miles of trails next to the North Saskatchewan river. Calgary has the Trans Canada Trail with easy access from downtown. Both cities have a vibrant nightlife with bars and clubs in the downtown and other areas.

If you parked downtown and walked around you would only see a few of the sites. Some historical buildings, art gallery, etc. but you would have to travel to see other places of interest depending on what you like to see. For example if you wanted an interesting streetscape in Edmonton that is very walkable and has unique shops, older buildings and ample pubs/bars with outdoor seating, then Whyte (82) Avenue in Old Strathcona is the place to be, but is a little ways from the downtown (about 4 km).

Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks again...I guess my next question would be, how big are the downtown areas in these cities? Are they pretty small, or are they actually a good size?
Quote:
My personal opinion as an Albertan, is that you need a vehicle to get around in both cities unless you live downtown and are comfortable to live and walk in a limited area (especially true in winter). There is good bus and rapid transit service in both cities, so I guess you could get by with no vehicle if you had to go to areas outside of the downtown.

Edmonton has the beautiful river valley just steps away from the downtown with miles and miles of trails next to the North Saskatchewan river. Calgary has the Trans Canada Trail with easy access from downtown. Both cities have a vibrant nightlife with bars and clubs in the downtown and other areas.

If you parked downtown and walked around you would only see a few of the sites. Some historical buildings, art gallery, etc. but you would have to travel to see other places of interest depending on what you like to see. For example if you wanted an interesting streetscape in Edmonton that is very walkable and has unique shops, older buildings and ample pubs/bars with outdoor seating, then Whyte (82) Avenue in Old Strathcona is the place to be, but is a little ways from the downtown (about 4 km).

Old 07-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Also, how do the "red mile" (17th ave) and Whyte Avenue compare? Are they pretty much the same thing?

Quote:

Old 07-03-2009, 09:04 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,954 times
In short, no. If you want walkable cities in Canada in the same way that San Francisco is, Vancouver and Montreal are the two that immediately come to mind. Even Toronto would be better than Calgary and Edmonton. Calgary and Edmonton are much more in tune with Phoenix, Houston, etc - very car-centric and suburban sprawling by nature. There are pockets which are walkable, but in essence, it doesn't dominate the urban landscape of those cities.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,539 times
I would say Calgary is very car-centric. However, I do commute by bicycle to work and back most days of the year with no trouble. I have also walked with no trouble, there are sidewalks on all major streets. Transit here is not the greatest if you live in the suburbs...so walking and biking are good ways to go. Traffic can be brutal.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 90,973 times
I live in Edmonton and how walkable it is really depends on the area you live in. I live in the University/Old Strathcona area (just south of the river valley in the centre of the city) and work downtown and it is very walkable. I am about 10 blocks from Whyte (82) Ave which has all the shopping, restaurants, groceries and bars you could ever want. I have a car, but rarely use it during the week (and even on the weekend I will often end up on whyte ave which is a short walk). Also close proximity to the river valley makes for nice walks and biking in the summer.

I find taking the transit downtown much faster, cheaper and more convenient (don't have to worry about finding or paying for parking). The city is also in the middle of a huge LRT (metro line) expansion which will make the transit better. I complain about the transit here, but if you live in a centralized location it's actually pretty decent using it to get around. Not as good as NYC or Chicago by any stretch, but for a city of about a million that has such a huge area span it's not bad.

The only time I use my car is for groceries (it's handy to not have to lug them on the bus) and visit friends in the more suburban areas. If you live in the suburbs (especially the newer ones) the transit isn't very good and you would almost definitely need a car. The suburban areas tend to be more of the sprawl with big box stores, etc (ick).

In regards to Edmonton vs. Calagry:
Downtown Size: Edmonton downtown is quite spread out out. Calgary's downtown core is much more centralized
Parking: Good luck finding parking in downtown Calgary and if you do it will cost you at least $25 bucks (worse then NYC I hear). Edmonton downtown is still a pain to drive and park in but not nearly as bad b/c it is more spread out. Bout $10 a day to park downtown in Edmonton

Which one is more walkable: Calgary, like Edmonton has its walkable areas, like if you live in Kensington or on 17th, but in general I think it is a less walkable city. Seems like there is more suburban sprawl there than there is in Edmonton.

Whyte Ave vs Red Mile: Only been to the red mile a few times. Both are known as hot spots for the night life but I think beyond that they differ a lot. Whyte ave area is much more artsy/cultural than the red mile. There are lots of theatres, cool shops, farmers market, and festivals in the summer. University is also close to heart of whyte ave so very young, trendy feel in this area. Again I am a bit biased b/c this is the area I live it, but I think if you are young (20s to mid 30s) this is the best area in the city to live.

As a whole: On the whole I like the feel of Edmonton better. I think it has a better arts/culture scene than Calgary. Edmonton is definitely more blue collar and Calgary more corporate. To me Calgary seems to be a bit stuffier and pretensious than Edmonton. Lots of people liken Calgary to being like Houston and other areas in texas. The idea of "noveau riche" money.

Weather: Both cities are cold in the winter and one reason why having a car can be a plus. So handy when you don't want to do the trek to the store by foot in -30 celsius let me tell you. Downside to the car in winter is that b/c roads can get bad traffic can be brutal in the city. One accident during rush hour on the freeway can mean serious traffic back up.
Although summers are awesome. Very desirable summer. Pretty dry, not much rain with lots of clear sunny days. Temperature is ideal at around 25 celsius, not too hot but not too cold. If Edmonton was like it is in the summer all year round I would love it and never want to leave.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 PM

19 posts, read 90,973 times
Oh and I almost forgot the best bonus of Edmonton summers - the long hours of daylight. Sun rises at five and doesn't set until 11 in June and July. It's fantastic! You can be on the patio having drinks with friends at 9:30 and it's still as sunny and bright as it is at noon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada