Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 12:08 PM

152 posts, read 567,056 times

Advertisements

I was going to make a purchase on newegg.ca as oppose to amazon.ca. Now when i entered my information, it says only canadian debit/credit cards are allowed. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
It is common. Many retailers can only take cards from their own country. Many canadians run into the same thing when trying to buy from American websites

Old 10-01-2013, 02:47 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
I was going to make a purchase on newegg.ca as oppose to amazon.ca. Now when i entered my information, it says only canadian debit/credit cards are allowed. Is this normal?
The issue is most likely the debit part, not the credit part. In Canada debit and credit cards are separate.
There are some Visa/Debit cards being offered by some Canadian Banks, but I don't believe they are popular.

The debit card system in Canada was set up totally different than in the U.S. We have Interac.

Interac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-01-2013, 04:21 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
How does it work in the US? I'm seeing more and more credit card logos on debit cards, apparently for international use. How does that work? Is it like this US system? Are their debit and credit cards the same thing? I have one on my card, in the last year or so they've made them mandatory when you get a new debit card, you have to get them with these visa or mastercard logos on them, and I honestly don't know how they're supposed to operate as credit cards.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
How does it work in the US? I'm seeing more and more credit card logos on debit cards, apparently for international use. How does that work? Is it like this US system? Are their debit and credit cards the same thing? I have one on my card, in the last year or so they've made them mandatory when you get a new debit card, you have to get them with these visa or mastercard logos on them, and I honestly don't know how they're supposed to operate as credit cards.

A Clarification. The VISA logo on your debit card does not make it a credit card. What it enables you to do is use your debit card across the VISA network in places like the U.S.

Here's CIBC's one.

https://www.cibc.com/ca/how-to-bank/...ntagecard.html

Since we had Interac set up in Canada there was no real need to have a patchwork system of networks.

This from wiki regarding Canadian debit cards.

"Certain financial institutions also allow their clients to use their debit cards in the United States on the NYCE network.[17]
In the last couple of months, VISA has introduced itself to Canadian bank card holders. INTERAC is still used at merchants (when at the merchants store), but on the Internet AND outside of Canada, VISA Debit Cards have largely been treated like VISA cards are elsewhere."

Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
The US debit cards are usually visa or mastercard. There is no difference between debit and credit cards except that you own the money in the debit card and the bank owns the money in the credit card (you have to repay it later). They both work everywhere where visa and mastercard are accepted.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
In the US the merchant asks you or automated gas pumps prompt you if you want to treat it as a debit or credit transaction

There are very minor differences in how they get processed. There can be significant differences in the processing charges to the merchant tho

Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Thanks. I think I get it.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 PM

160 posts, read 629,169 times
The difference between the US and Canadian bank cards:

If you have a US Debit card, it can be used as a Credit card where you would sign instead of entering your 4 digit number. The transaction is completed differently but both types of transactions come out of your checking account, the credit part is not paid back at a different time but subtracted the same way the debit is subtracted.

The Canadian Debit card is only a debit card, it cannot be used in the States as a credit card for motels and such. You need to have a credit card for that.

In Canada I can use my debit card as a credit card with no problem, and In the states I can use my Canadian Debit card just about anywhere a debit card is accepted, but not where credit cards are to be used.

Check your debit card to make sure it is a debit/credit card. It may only a debit card even though is has a Visa symbol on it.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:25 PM

"and In the states I can use my Canadian Debit card just about anywhere a debit card is accepted, but not where credit cards are to be used. "

I have had my debit card rejected in the states because the store did not use the same network. The new Debit cards in Canada with a VISA logo will assure me that my debit card will be accepted at places that accept VISA, however VISA is only the network being used to access by bank account.

I do not find that a Canadian debit card is accepted just about anywhere if it doesn't have the VISA logo on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada