Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Advertisements

The news just gets worse. A rail bridge over the Bow River partially collapsed early this morning with a train on it that was carrying some kind of petroleum product.

Calgary mayor lashes out at CP Rail over train stranded on bridge - The Globe and Mail

Quote:

......... The aging bridge partially collapsed around 3:30 a.m. Thursday morning as a 102-car train rolled across it. The neighbourhood has since been evacuated. Six cars remain stranded on the sagging bridge, five of them carrying petroleum products.

Officials are trying to empty the cars, before removing them from the bridge. The derailment has shuttered roads, diverted city crews away from flood response and also forced the evacuation of a wastewater treatment plant – meaning sewage is currently flowing untreated into the major river.

Amid the impact of the derailment, CP said its bridge had been inspected Saturday, though floodwaters were still high and the Bow River was surging. Meanwhile, city officials say they’re powerless to inspect it. “Why was it not inspected after Saturday?” Mr. Nenshi asked.

The mayor lashed out against the company, noting it took him six hours to get a CP official on the phone on Thursday. Currently, railways are the only private businesses municipalities can’t touch, Mr. Nenshi said. And yet it’s the Calgary Fire Department working to keep the oil products out of the Bow River, he said.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:30 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Perhaps my comment about the name of High River was uncalled for, but otherwise I don't imagine that people in the midst of this disaster would be on an urban discussion board looking for emergency resources or help. There are far more suitable places for people in need of services to seek them. This is a discussion board, and I was discussing an issue relevant to the title of the thread - South Alberta Flooding. I think your analogy is a false one, because as you mentioned, people in the midst of to disaster are facing many serious crises, including the loss of power and Internet service. I don't imagine they would be on City Data seeking help and information. So I don't think my mention of climate change in this thread is the same as bringing up the issue to those who are struggling through the crisis - do you think those people have time to be on a message board called City Data?

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but every news agency in the country and beyond is talking about the relationship between this disaster and climate change. I think perhaps this is a wake up call for our nation that our government's stance on the issue is untenable.
You sir, are officially an assclown. Rather than taking the point, you try and justify your stupid comment with further stupidity.

No one is questioning your high ground to show the poor lost souls the evil of oil & gas capitalism and economic growth, just don't do it on this thread.

FFS, take a hint or grow the F up.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:51 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You sir, are officially an assclown. Rather than taking the point, you try and justify your stupid comment with further stupidity.

No one is questioning your high ground to show the poor lost souls the evil of oil & gas capitalism and economic growth, just don't do it on this thread.

FFS, take a hint or grow the F up.
Sorry, didn't realize this thread was sacred ground. You and stubblejumper must be the high priests of the place. Sorry to have offended thee with my lefty crazy talk.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:19 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Sorry, didn't realize this thread was sacred ground. You and stubblejumper must be the high priests of the place. Sorry to have offended thee with my lefty crazy talk.
Please do us all a favour and save this stuff for your like-minded pals in Ontario and Quebec. Thank you very much for your understanding and for your anticipated cooperation.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,985 times
'Heavy rain has triggered flash floods in low-lying parts of Calgary, two weeks after the city was swamped by severe flooding.'

Old 07-06-2013, 02:57 PM

250 posts, read 643,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
'Heavy rain has triggered flash floods in low-lying parts of Calgary, two weeks after the city was swamped by severe flooding.'
Hey, that's my neighbourhood. Things got a little too exciting last night. We definitely need a couple weeks (or more) of dry weather to fully get passed all of this. My basement stayed dry last night. Hopefully the rest of the community avoided major damage.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,214,745 times
Quote:
Actually, it seems a lot of people want to hear and discuss the issues I've raised right now

And I have no agenda, unless by agenda you mean discussing an issue that apparently you and some others just don't want to hear about.

But this is a discussion forum, and I am discussing an important related issue. If discussing this extremely relevant subject which has received widespread commentary in the mainstream news media is "proselytizing" then either you need to check the OED definition of the word you are casually throwing around, or perhaps I should find a board where open, honest discussion doesn't receive the typical "I don't want to hear it now" defensiveness of people who don't think something this important should be spoken about in any other away except expressions of sympathy and "prayers" for those affected. All the prayers in the world aren't going to help a High River flood survivor rebuild their lives. However, taking action on climate change and addressing the issue of building highly populated areas in river valleys and flood plains might prevent a future disaster like this.

Oh, but this isn't the time for that kind of talk. Better we wait a few years when everyone has forgotten about it, and the will to engage in this discussion and make the necessary changes to the way we live no longer exists because people have been lulled back into the their usual state of complacency.

If anyone here has an agenda, it is those who don't want the words "climate change" mentioned in the same sentence as the Alberta flood. Their agenda is to keep people from discussing the connection, from talking about our government's could-care-less attitude regarding the issue, and most of all from mentioning that all those climate disasters we've been watching all these years have finally hit home. But if I'm the guy with the agenda, I'm glad to know I'm far from alone.

I suppose all these news agencies are also prosyletizing?

Climate change and the Alberta flood - Beyond The Commons, Capital Read - Macleans.ca

Alberta

Alberta floods launch climate change and oilsands debate – so what now? | canada.com

Dear Alberta: This Flood is Climate Change | Vancouver Media Co-op

Alberta flooding sets records, prompts calls for action on climate change - Canada, Need to know - Macleans.ca

Alberta flooding prompts calls for climate change action | iPolitics

David Suzuki: Is Alberta Flooding a Sign of Climate Change?

Alberta government failed to act on flood prevention report | Globalnews.ca

Climate catastrophes like the Alberta floods have the potential to shatter political careers | Georgia Straight

A quick Google search will lead you to hundreds more articles, OP-eds, blogs, news reports, articles in scientific journals, etc. that make a direct connection between the Alberta floods and climate change. If now is not a good time to talk about this issue, when is?

My Great Grandfather moved to Southern Alberta and started ranching there around 1883. His ranch flooded during that time period...he moved to Saskatchewan shortly after the 1897 flood. The Oil Sands and related industries weren't in production then:

1897 flood... 17.5 feet. The 1932 flood was 12.5 feet. The 2013 flood 13.6 feet.
Water - Google Books

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...ffasixcase.pdf

The River Returns: An Environmental History of the Bow - Christopher Armstrong, Matthew Dominic Evenden, H. V. Nelles - Google Books

Other flood years are also listed in the above articles.

"The 1929 and 1932 events, the fifth- and fourth-highest known, both occurred on
June 3. Both resulted mainly from heavy rain in the foothills west of the city.
When there is heavy rain in the foothills, the headwaters are usually receiving
snow. The largest rainfall events are associated with cyclonic storms drawing
moisture from the Gulf of Mexico. "

see: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...123/story.html

Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,214,745 times
History of flooding
Major floods of Bow River: 1902, 1915, 1929, 1932
Major floods of Elbow River: 1915, 1923, 1929, 1932, 2005
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~hayashi/geog515/lectures/515_0609.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada