Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 04:08 AM

103 posts, read 169,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
The issue is swearing an oath to an unelected tyrant. They've said they have no problem swearing an oath to Canada.
In this case that might be true but more and more some are trying to change Canada some want very little immigration laws then you have some that really don't see Canada as there country there just here for the perks of Canada not saying all are like that but there is alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
I never knew that Canadian immigrants who are seeking citizenship have to swear an oath to an unelected monarch of a foreign country. Why have you Canadians allowed for your country to contradict itself with such a undemocratic, primitive, and shameful practice? Anyone who supports that ridiculous monarchy is basically saying they're against equality, justice, secularism, democracy, freedom, and plain ol' common sense....
Hysterical rubbish.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm actually supporting and encouraging Canadians to rid their country of this undemocratic disease. But apparently in your eyes promoting democracy is bashing.
Canada is not your country, neither is mine. Who cares what they do? If they want to live under an unelected head of state, let them. You know which country you need to start worrying about, the one country in the whole world that is affecting the US at most? Mexico. They're having, virtually, a civil war down there with over 10 million of its citizens living here illegally influencing domestic policy, and you're worried about some old bag that wears a hat full of jewels? I say somebody has their priorities all mixed up

Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,454,385 times
20 years ago Canada was on the verge of changing the pledge of allegiance to a pledge to Canada. A beautiful, simple, powerful, and modern pledge was written. Chretien got cold feet at the last moment: Quebec referendum was looming, and the pledge change would be helpful to Quebec federalists.

The polls at the time showed that most Canadians favoured the change.

^^ This is a summary of this article:

Chretien nixed axing oath to Queen at last minute, ex-minister says - Need to know - Macleans.ca

As a naturalized citizen of Canada, I admit, the oath to Queen has always made me feel uneasy. I don't feel any closeness to Queen but I do to Canada. I am surprised that my good old co-posters here really think I should go back where I came from, even after being a citizen for 15-20-30 years.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
nuala, we have safety in numbers here as immigrants to Canada. Clearly the allegiance to the Queen is something that certain Canadian-born folks are indoctrinated with from a very young age, as that must be the only way one can be made comfortable with such a concept. I personally have no allegiance to any head of state, elected or otherwise, and in fact feel that national borders are silly human constructs that serve only to divide people and stifle the natural migrations and the resulting economic and cultural exchanges that would take place. I will never give my blind allegiance to any head of state, let alone an unelected monarch who is out of touch with reality. To those nationalistic Canadians who cling to the queen as some source of Canadian identity (even though she lives on an island on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean) I say: embrace Constitutionalism and a homegrown Canadian identity and stop living in the past. Canada has a lot going for it and doesn't need continued ties with the British monarchy in order to maintain an identity.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
certain Canadian-born folks are indoctrinated with from a very young age, as that must be the only way one can be made comfortable with such a concept.
I agree.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 AM

You know, I have no idea if my kids are being indoctrinated at their elementary school as we speak. Anybody knows if the Queen-centric education is still in schools, or it is not front and center anymore, is it hidden, is it open?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
At my son's elementary school, they didn't try to indoctrinate the kids with any of that queen nonsense.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
I said for you to ask yourself, implying that you should also answer yourself, not me. Can't you follow along without getting confused?

Those were examples which is why I used "such as".

You're trying to side step the issue. Whether the action of Snowden leaking is favored or not is irrelevant when my point relates to how his leaking reveals that the US gov is illegally spying, which Americans acknowledge is a problem. While, Canadians such as yourself are doing the exact opposite, trying to ignore, downplay and defend the fact that monarchy is a problem.

Like I've said before, I've accepted America's faults and I'm pushing for change.

I guess it does look like I'm on a pedestal from your vantage, since you're so hunched over desperately trying to hide the fact that Canada has a monarchy problem. Maybe you could stand as high as me with confidence, if you were honest with yourself and country. Like they say - the truth will set you free.
Well since you suggested I "ask myself" on a public forum I "anwered myself" on a public forum.

Hiding the fact of having a monarchy problem isn't what one does when one discusses it on an open public forum, does one?

As to the pedestal reference I suggest you take another look at where the high ground is a opposed to where you're currently standing "Post Turtle" and I refer you to:Post turtle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is in homage to a previous incarnation "Kansasturtle" who no longer resides here for some reason or another. He, like yourself, had a style of ignoring that which he found uncomfortable and would rely heavily upon simply repeating the same silly rejoinder phrased slightly different until he ran out of relevant synonyms.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Grade 6, Social Studies:

Quote:
Application: Diversity, Inclusiveness, and Canadian Identity:

A1.2 evaluate some of the contributions that various ethnic and/or religious groups have made to Canadian identity (e.g., the contributions of First Nations to Canadian art, of French and English communities to the development of Canada as a bilingual country, of the British to the Canadian parliamentary system, of Chinese labourers to the construction of the transcontinental railway, of Irish and Italian workers to the development of canal systems on the Great Lakes, of various communities to Canada’s multicultural identity)

Sample questions: “Who are the founding nations of Canada? For whom is the concept of ‘founding nations’ troubling? Why?” “In what ways is the Canadian system of government similar to that of Great Britain? What accounts for the similarities? Do you think Canada’s status as a constitutional monarchy is important to our identity as Canadians? Why or why not?” “In what ways have South Asians or East Asians contributed to Canada and Canadian identity?”
Quote:
Understanding Context: The Development of Communities in Canada:

A3.8 identify and describe fundamental elements of Canadian identity (e.g., inclusiveness, respect for human rights, respect for diversity, multiculturalism, parliamentary democracy, constitutional monarchy, bilingualism, the recognition of three founding nations, universal health care)

Sample questions: “In what ways are Queen Elizabeth II and the monarchy connected to Canada and Canadian identity?” “What are some of the rights guaranteed by the Charter of Rights?” “When you consider the various elements of Canadian identity, how would you rank them in order of importance to Canadians? What criteria would you use?” “What are some instances of the Canadian government not respecting the human rights of a group of people?”
Ontario Elementary Curriculum 2013 - Canada's Constitutional Monarchy Online Resource

Grade 9:

Quote:
Lesson 1: Constitutional Monarchy: Would a Republic be Better?
This lesson introduces students to Canada’s constitutional monarchy. It has students look at what is a head of state and what the role of head of state is versus head of the country. Students will also delve into the role of our government. The lesson then goes on to compare our system of government with the American system - a republic. The culminating activity is a class debate that has students discuss whether Canada should keep our current form of government or change to a republic system.
Grade 9: Resource Package | Being an Active Citizen

The topic of constitutional monarchy is clearly present in schools. Sometimes it is a topic for a debate, but there is consistent attachment of the Queen to the Canadian identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada