Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:34 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your statement on taxes is bull crap.... Do Canadians Really Pay More Taxes Than Americans?
while this may be true for some cases you have to factor in that almost everything is more expensive. the cost of living is higher in canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Maybe you just aren't searching the websites properly? Prices are different depending on locations across the country. Prices are different in each of the provinces and then in all of the provinces they are different depending on the location within the province. For example, everything in northern Canada locations is almost always more expensive than in southern Canada locations because of shipping costs.

Just to see if I could find prices for some stores I looked up Shoppers Drug Mart, London Drugs, Safeway Canada and Save On Foods locations and weekly specials and flyers in southern BC and the prices for all this week's specials were listed for all of their stores.

I didn't look up Target prices anywhere in BC because we don't have one near me yet, they are going to be opening up several new Target stores in BC in late fall. I did look up some of theTarget stores in Ontario but I couldn't find prices listed for anything in any of the Ontario stores. But maybe that's because Target is an American company???

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
On these websites, you can't even shop online. Like the Canadian Target site, doesn't have on-line shopping.

Maybe Canadians don't do a lot of on-line shopping?
They don't. There are a few reasons for this.

Taxes, etc.: It sounds great--go online, and get cheap deals from the US, from Asia, from Europe. Until your package is held up at Customs and you have to pay a lot of money to them to release it; and if you have it couriered via UPS or FedEx, it also incurs customs brokerage charges. Why should I buy online and wait four to six weeks, if the same product is available today for the same (approximate) final price at the local stores? Canada's duty-free mail-order import limits are abysmally low (under $20 CAD), so importing anything is costly.

Shipping: Given our geography, our population, and our settlement patterns (most Canadians live in a 100-mile-wide strip along the US border), it doesn't make sense to have multiple warehouses that can ship. So if I order something from (say) Canadian Tire online, it comes from a warehouse in Toronto, in four to six weeks plus the cost of shipping across the country. I can get the same thing from a local Canadian Tire today; for the cost of 30 minutes of my time and gas.

Convenience: Most Canadians shop locally, from national chains. Why would I order something online from Shopper's Drug, when there are two within walking distance? Walmart, PetSmart, Home Depot, Chapters/Indigo, Canadian Tire, Costco--they're all within a half-hour drive. I can get what I need today, without paying shipping.

That all being said, some things just cannot be sourced locally. For example, I do deal with a couple of retailers in the Toronto area for goods I cannot get here; and I have imported goods from foreign sources before (and paid the price). But when I order, I know what I'm getting myself into.

But overall, I'd suggest that Canadians haven't taken to online shopping because it is ultimately less convenient for the retailer; and thus more expensive, in both time and money, for the consumer.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 07-25-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
The only thing I sometimes buy online are books that I think I would not get here because they were published some years ago. I like real stores.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Canada's online shopping business is still quite primitive - so few selections to choose from.

So if you are from the US, you would need to learn to shop in real stores.

Last year, I was shopping for a twin sleeper (a small a seater couch that can extend as a twin bed, but not a futon), searched for days and couldn't find any. On the other hand, there are hundreds to choose from at good prices on American websites (of course they either don't ship to Canada or charge a hefty fee). Finally I find a store in Toronto that sells it on Eglinton W, but the cheapest is like $3000 for some reason.

Another example was when I was looing for a tankless waterheater. Searched online and hardly found any. Some contractors sell them for $1800 at least. Eventually I managed to buy one from a US retailer who ships to Canada, cost $650.

Shopping is definitely not fun in Canada. Not because they are more expensive, many items simply can't be found.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM

103 posts, read 169,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
They don't. There are a few reasons for this.

Taxes, etc.: It sounds great--go online, and get cheap deals from the US, from Asia, from Europe. Until your package is held up at Customs and you have to pay a lot of money to them to release it; and if you have it couriered via UPS or FedEx, it also incurs customs brokerage charges. Why should I buy online and wait four to six weeks, if the same product is available today for the same (approximate) final price at the local stores? Canada's duty-free mail-order import limits are abysmally low (under $20 CAD), so importing anything is costly.

Shipping: Given our geography, our population, and our settlement patterns (most Canadians live in a 100-mile-wide strip along the US border), it doesn't make sense to have multiple warehouses that can ship. So if I order something from (say) Canadian Tire online, it comes from a warehouse in Toronto, in four to six weeks plus the cost of shipping across the country. I can get the same thing from a local Canadian Tire today; for the cost of 30 minutes of my time and gas.

Convenience: Most Canadians shop locally, from national chains. Why would I order something online from Shopper's Drug, when there are two within walking distance? Walmart, PetSmart, Home Depot, Chapters/Indigo, Canadian Tire, Costco--they're all within a half-hour drive. I can get what I need today, without paying shipping.

That all being said, some things just cannot be sourced locally. For example, I do deal with a couple of retailers in the Toronto area for goods I cannot get here; and I have imported goods from foreign sources before (and paid the price). But when I order, I know what I'm getting myself into.

But overall, I'd suggest that Canadians haven't taken to online shopping because it is ultimately less convenient for the retailer; and thus more expensive, in both time and money, for the consumer.
I don't know everything i hear online shopping is big and in part why so many stores are closing.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Go to the Canadian website--- no prices.

Why is this? Don't Canadians want to know how much things cost or is it that they would see how much they are being ripped off compared to American prices?
Not sure what sites you have a problem with but a quick trip to a couple of them
the Canadian Tire website has all the prices listed.
Cordless Drills | Canadian Tire

And this Walmart Canada site seems to advertize its prices..

Walmart Canada Online Shopping

Indigo/Chapters advertises the prices of its books
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...ng%3aslideshow

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Well one item I was looking for, which I still could not find an on-line price for in Canada, was a Boots no 7 face cream. In the U.S. it is ~ $9 to $11.

I finally had to go in person to Shoppers Drug mart which carries it: It is $22 + tax.

Boots has an on-line shopping site, for the U.S. only. The same item is $11 + no tax + free shipping and additional discounts. Boots is a British brand that even used to have stores in Canada, and not in the U.S.

The Canadian Amazon site has a much smaller selection of items than the American Amazon site, and many products are priced higher for the Canadian site, including a sleep mask I was looking at, which is made in Canada, and sells for double the price on the Canadian site over the American. Many of the items on the American site will not ship to Canada, probably to force you to buy from the Canadian Amazon.

Canada's retail environment is abyssmal.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

Shoppers prices ARE posted on their site... Food & Home

I have no idea what your problem is unless you don't know how to use google search.
No, prices are not listed for items on the Shoppers Drug Mart site. Some sale items are listed. But try to Search and find the price of a specific item. It's not possible.

Maybe you should investigate before putting someone else down.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not sure what sites you have a problem with but a quick trip to a couple of them
the Canadian Tire website has all the prices listed.
Cordless Drills | Canadian Tire

And this Walmart Canada site seems to advertize its prices..

Walmart Canada Online Shopping

Indigo/Chapters advertises the prices of its books
J.K. Rowling Cuckoo's Calling | chapters.indigo.ca
I listed the store I am having trouble with including Target and Shoppers Drug Mart.

Don't even get me started on the price of books in Canada. Even the e-books are more!---explain that. They're delivered electronically, no additional charges for shipping something all those additional hundreds of miles that apparently living near Toronto involves. Which is a joke anyway. If you live 60 miles from the U.S. border, how can shipping something from the U.S. to Southern Ontario cost more than shipping it to Montana?

I thought there was free trade between the U.S. and Canada, so why are all these expensive customs fees applied at the border?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada