Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM

152 posts, read 567,237 times

Advertisements

I am booking a flight from nyc to montreal and will be staying there for a few months and staying to stay at a furnished apartment. I will book a hotel to stay for 1-2 nights first as i already i will be looking at 1 or 2 apartments and then decide on which one to stay at.

I'm looking at flights and i see some flights that arrive in montreal, some that around around noon some 230pm and some that arrive at around 5pm or so.

I would like to arrive around 230pm but if i do, how long does customs usually take with you? Such as the talking and the what you are here for and how long? Assuming that is not a lengthy process, then going to get your luggage would be pretty easy? Reason i ask this is b/c i read that international flight from us to canada... the luggage takes very long and ppl wait very long for it. Is this true or false? So if i arrive in montreal around 230pm, would you say customs and that should take 30 minute or 1 hour max and getting luggage should not take longer than 30 minute?

Because i done domestic flight in usa and after going through tsa, the ppl in my plane would all wait for the luggage to come but usually if you dont get there fast, it still takes a good bit of time for the luggage to arrive.

The reason why i ask this is b/c I want to arrive at the hotel early and not like at 6pm or so, so if customs and luggage takes too long, i might just take a flight that arrives to montreal at 12pm instead of 230pm. I know a cab takes around 30 minute max to a hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 01:20 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
Luggage + Immigration + Customs should take no more than 1 hour (on average).

Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Okay i have another question. My flight actually is a connecting flight. It goes from nyc to toronto. Then there is a 2 hour plus layout before it goes to montreal. Will i be speaking to customs and immigration in canada or in montreal? Or both?

Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardblizzard03 View Post
Okay i have another question. My flight actually is a connecting flight. It goes from nyc to toronto. Then there is a 2 hour plus layout before it goes to montreal. Will i be speaking to customs and immigration in canada or in montreal? Or both?
You can't get a flight from NYC to Montreal? Really? I find this hard to believe (see below).

You will speak with Customs in Canada. Note that Montreal is in Canada. So is Toronto. You will speak with Canada Customs where you land in Canada.

As a result, if your travel plans are as you state, then you will be dealing with Customs and Immigration in Toronto.

Be prepared--the Canadian customs officers in Toronto will likely want to know why, if your final destination is Montreal and you left from NYC, you didn't just fly from NYC to Montreal. Flights between NYC (through LGA) and Montreal are common--Air Canada flies four nonstop flights a day. I can't speak for American carriers, but I'd find it hard to believe that American, United, and Delta do any less.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 08-26-2013 at 01:40 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Be prepared--the Canadian customs officers in Toronto will likely want to know why, if your final destination is Montreal and you left from NYC, you didn't just fly from NYC to Montreal. Flights between NYC (through LGA) and Montreal are common--Air Canada flies four nonstop flights a day. I can't speak for American carriers, but I'd find it hard to believe that American, United, and Delta do any less.
They may or may not ask this. Probably not.

A perfectly valid answer is: "it was cheaper".

Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
If you are "coming to stay for a few months" and are not a Canadian citizen you may get more questioning at Customs & Immigration. Get an early flight in case of delays and missed connections.

Quote:
lizardblizzard03
//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post28916709
Also as an american, i can stay max 6 months so i would be looking for a place that does month to month lease or 3 month lease max. Thing is i play online poker as my income and thats why im coming to canada.

Last edited by katzpaw; 08-27-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You can't get a flight from NYC to Montreal? Really? I find this hard to believe (see below).

You will speak with Customs in Canada. Note that Montreal is in Canada. So is Toronto. You will speak with Canada Customs where you land in Canada.

As a result, if your travel plans are as you state, then you will be dealing with Customs and Immigration in Toronto.

Yes reason is because it is cheaper. Direct flight cost 400 plus, this flight cost 220. But i also have a layover. I figure its not a big deal. Or should i not have done this?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Yes reason is because it is cheaper. Direct flight cost 400 plus, this flight cost 220. But i also have a layover. I figure its not a big deal. Or should i not have done this?
Don't sweat it. At all.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Why wouldn't you just drive? It's only 5 hours from NYC to Montreal by car. Flying isn't worth the hassle.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Sounds like Porter Airlines (Newark > Toronto Island Airport > Montreal) with a sales price.
www.flyporter.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada