Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,264 times

Advertisements

I've seen older post on moving to Canada but nothing too recent.

My husband is thinking of taking a job in Pointe au Baril. We have lived and worked outside the US before, but it was a little easier to find and understand what the countries needed and we worked for companies that knew what to do.

We have researched the area and are ok with it. It's the other stuff.
How much tax comes out of the check? I had heard once it was very high because of the medical.
Do you have to have vehicles inspected and registered if you aren't a permenant resident?
how much more is car insurance there?
Do you have to pay customs fees on your houshold goods you move there?
How did you find movers?

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:24 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Pointe au Baril is one remote place and will make for a long winter..
Expect 30% off your paycheck for federal and provincial deductions, other potential deductions would be Unemployment insurance, private medical plan, pension contributions.
Cars will have to be inspected once when you go through the importation process.
Expect yearly insurance for a normal car to be somewhere between $1000-$1500
I've never heard of customs fees to import your stuff but i'm sure the mover will have extra charges for cross border transport of your stuff.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 AM

984 posts, read 2,713,494 times
There is a lot of information in the sticky thread //www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ments-etc.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada