Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 05:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada is more rural? Don't know how you get that. The urban population percentage of Canada and US is essentially the same. Just because Canada has 90% uninhabited northern lands doesn't make it more rural.

As to gun loving, as I have argued before, there are pro-gun regions and anti-gun ones. Canada will fit right in the latter. Plus, the pro-gun Canadians will have the chance to live in a gun loving state, why should they be deprived of this right?

Welfare and healthcare, again, depends. California and Massachusetts seem to have decent social protection. MA as a tiny US state alone accounts for 20% of Canada's population. How is that not compatible?
There are 33 million people in Canada, and 333 million in the US. Canada is bigger than the US. That means that people are more spread out in Canada's non-Northern lands.

Canadians will not tolerate people carrying handguns or concealed weapons, and shooting people because they're trespassing on private property in Canada will never be justifiable homicide.

The US wants Canadian water, oil, and border access. What would Canadians gain with a merger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 07:25 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
True.

As much as Canadians say they love Canada, most - with the exception of Canadians here on CD! - are poorly travelled in Canada, though that varies regionally. Overall, Americans are much more mobile than Canadians are (they travel and experience living in different parts of the US far more than Canadians do Canada).

So, despite regional/cultural differences and, yes, even some squabbling (ie. north vs. south), Americans "know" their country better than Canadians "know" theirs.
Maybe, but then again, maybe not.

Americans:

Who Moves? Who Stays Put? Where

More than half of Americans have NEVER traveled outside the country - and a third do not even own a passport | Daily Mail Online

How Many Americans Have A Passport? | TheExpeditioner Travel Site

Canadians:

http://www.vanierinstitute.ca/includ...hp?nodeid=3231

Passport Canada forecasts demand delivery with SAS® | SAS

Annual report 2012-2013 - Passport Canada

Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
That Canadians have higher rates of passport ownership than do Americans is old news. But when do Canadians actually use them?

I'm willing to bet that the majority of passport holding Canadians aren't going off to hike the Himalayas. No, they're most often putting those passports to good use to cross the Canadian-US border. Like you, Canadians need them to get to Florida or Vegas. Or Buffalo to buy cheaper gas. Hence the primary reason that passport ownership shot up in the last decade or so. An unfortunate (and inconvenient) result of 9/11.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM

905 posts, read 791,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This has been discussed in other posts but you do bring up another difference between Americans and Canadians. Americans see the world and politics in black and white, Canadians can see shades of grey. Our political system has evolved over centuries, and will continue to evolve (Senate reform!), and we can see and acknowledge anachronisms and ambiguity.
What a complete and utter non-answer.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
That Canadians have higher rates of passport ownership than do Americans is old news. But when do Canadians actually use them?

I'm willing to bet that the majority of passport holding Canadians aren't going off to hike the Himalayas. No, they're most often putting those passports to good use to cross the Canadian-US border. Like you, Canadians need them to get to Florida or Vegas. Or Buffalo to buy cheaper gas. Hence the primary reason that passport ownership shot up in the last decade or so. An unfortunate (and inconvenient) result of 9/11.
Actually its not just the U.S - many are for Mexico and the Caribbean and in addition, don't forget cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver (combined metro's of just those three cities is 1/3 Canada's total population) have large Foreign born populations as well so they travel all over the world. Take a look at a list of the Air Carriers at Toronto Pearson for example and the number of flag carriers serving Europe, South America, Africa and Asia. As a matter of fact, in comparison to International pax traffic at pearson, Tranborder traffic's growth is quite lagging behind it..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:

Boy; you completely ignored the first link in both countries discussing the migration habits of either country.

The passport registrations were mean't to be of interest only.

I do find it interesting though that you discount close to 70% of Canadians, as shown on one graph, by suggesting they're all spending $120.00 on passports to either not use them at all or just to cross the border for cheap gas, or as in my, case golf.

Just a quick heads up on what documents are actually required by Canadians who wish to just buy cheap gas:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-residents-%2F

My last, other than the U.S., foreign trip in 2013 involved England, Ireland, France, Iceland.

Canadians were also among those killed by the recent earthquake induced avalanche in Nepal. They were in fact hiking. Just say'n.

And:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/10...killed-dozens/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle21124734/

Maybe not all but it would seem many Canadians are in fact "hiking the Himalayas".

Last edited by BruSan; 05-06-2015 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Boy; you completely ignored the first link in both countries discussing the migration habits of either country.

The passport registrations were mean't to be of interest only.

I do find it interesting though that you discount close to 70% of Canadians, as shown on one graph, by suggesting they're all spending $120.00 on passports to either not use them at all or just to cross the border for cheap gas, or as in my, case golf.

Just a quick heads up on what documents are actually required by Canadians who wish to just buy cheap gas:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-residents-%2F

My last, other than the U.S., foreign trip in 2013 involved England, Ireland, France, Iceland.

Canadians were also among those killed by the avalanche in Nepal. They were in fact hiking. Just say'n.
Anyone who is familiar with International pax growth at Canadian airports like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will easily see that in the last decade the growth has been service to countries outside the U.S.. Transborder traffic has remained steady but not a shining star like International growth. In the last two months alone Pearson has seen two new South American Flag Carriers serving the airport - TAM and Aeromexico.

Anyway I use my passport for trips to many countries including the U.S... I suspect many Canadians use their passport in much the same manner. I read about a couple from Alberta that was killed in Nepal - just a tragic thing that happened over there.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-06-2015 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Anyone who is familiar with International pax growth at Canadian airports like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver will easily see that in the last decade the growth has been service to countries outside the U.S.. Transborder traffic has remained steady but not a shining star like International growth. In the last two months alone Pearson has seen two new South American Flag Carriers serving the airport - TAM and Aeromexico.

Anyway I use my passport for trips to many countries including the U.S... I suspect many Canadians use their passport in much the same manner. I read about a couple from Alberta that was killed in Nepal - just a tragic thing that happened over there.
That region is in for a struggle long term now as that earthquake has basically destroyed whatever infrastructure they had and winter is not kind over there. Shelter, fresh water, and building materials will be needed asap.

I'm going for a ten year passport renewal this time around and at $160.00 a pop, I can assure you it won't be used solely to enter the U.S. when my enhanced photo driver's license would suffice for that.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That region is in for a struggle long term now as that earthquake has basically destroyed whatever infrastructure they had and winter is not kind over there. Shelter, fresh water, and building materials will be needed asap.

I'm going for a ten year passport renewal this time around and at $160.00 a pop, I can assure you it won't be used solely to enter the U.S. when my enhanced photo driver's license would suffice for that.
I've had the unique opportunity to be part of the team supporting relief flights to Nepal out of Toronto with supplies and equipment funded by the Canadian Red Cross.. Its a great thing to see and be a part of..

Agreed about getting a passport - just going to one country would be a huge waste - especially to get gas and a substandard Tommy Hilfiger Sweater at an outlet mall in Buffalo lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 05-06-2015 at 09:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 AM

261 posts, read 275,875 times
Quote:
Also, Americans do not need a passport to visit (and learn about) their own country, which was the point you were making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada