Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 PM

28 posts, read 31,965 times

Advertisements

Can someone please list them? thank you

I ask because I didn't know canadians participated in the korean war: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_in_the_Korean_War
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Boer War
WW1 & WW2
Spanish Civil War
Cold War
Korea
Vietnam
Gulf War
Afganistan
A whole wack of peace keeping

So, pretty much anywhere America has fought, we've fought as well.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,523,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Boer War
WW1 & WW2
Spanish Civil War
Cold War
Korea
Vietnam
Gulf War
Afganistan
A whole wack of peace keeping

So, pretty much anywhere America has fought, we've fought as well.
Except Iraq, and the US certainly wasn't involved in the Boer War. On Canada's involvement in Vietnam; I'd classify it as a peacekeeping gig since we were officially a non-belligerent and the Canadian military was only involved with the deployment of 240 peacekeeping troops who were there to monitor the Paris Peace Accords ceasefire at the end of the conflict. They weren't fighting forces. If you are referring to the 30,000 Canadians who volunteered to join the US military, that ought not count since "Canada" and our military were not the ones involved, only private citizens fighting under a foreign flag. The same is true of the Spanish Civil War, which was full of Canadian volunteers but was not a conflict that taxpayer dollars or the legal entity known as Canada was involved with. My list would like this:

The Second Boer War
First World War
Second Word War
Korean War
Gulf War
Bosnia
Afghanistan
Libya

Various international peacekeeping operations starting from the 1956 Suez crisis when future Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson came up with the practice.

In the end I guess it depends on what you mean by "Canada" and "War". There's the wikipedia article on Canada's military history here, depending on the definition you can say we were involved in many wars many wouldn't think to consider as important Canadian military conflicts, like the recent war in Mali where we didn't really have boots on the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militar...a#20th_century

Last edited by BIMBAM; 02-05-2014 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 PM

320 posts, read 480,552 times
Great responses. Also, Canadians played a huge role in Cyprus.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/cr/pi-sheets/cyprus_e.pdf

Old 02-06-2014, 01:11 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Except Iraq, and the US certainly wasn't involved in the Boer War. On Canada's involvement in Vietnam; I'd classify it as a peacekeeping gig since we were officially a non-belligerent and the Canadian military was only involved with the deployment of 240 peacekeeping troops who were there to monitor the Paris Peace Accords ceasefire at the end of the conflict. They weren't fighting forces. If you are referring to the 30,000 Canadians who volunteered to join the US military, that ought not count since "Canada" and our military were not the ones involved, only private citizens fighting under a foreign flag. The same is true of the Spanish Civil War, which was full of Canadian volunteers but was not a conflict that taxpayer dollars or the legal entity known as Canada was involved with. My list would like this:
Very good points, BIMBAM!

Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Default Vietnam War

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Except Iraq...
We had all of 30 soldiers there. They were seconded to US forces. I had the privilege of meeting these soldiers on their return to Canada in about 2002. Hell, I bought them drinks in Halfiax.

Quote:
On Canada's involvement in Vietnam
Despite what our American friends will tell you, Vietnam was a UN mission. Canada did not take part. Australia did. Nevertheless, many Canadians fought in the Vietnam War. They signed up with US forces: army, navy, air force, marines. They needed jobs, Canada had none, the US needed people ... so?

I have been proud to plant a Canadian flag at the Vietnam memorial in Washington DC, in memory of our boys. Hell, my real name happens to be the exact same as one of the boys on the Wall. He was from Illinois. I have lain flowers and an American flag for my namesake. I never met him, but he was no doubt a good American, from Illinois. But he has the same exact name that I do. I cannot forget my surprise at seeing his name on the Wall--it was the same as mine! I want to remember him, and make sure that he is not forgotten.

Quote:
I'd classify it as a peacekeeping gig since we were officially a non-belligerent and the Canadian military was only involved with the deployment of 240 peacekeeping troops who were there to monitor the Paris Peace Accords ceasefire at the end of the conflict. They weren't fighting forces....
Seriously? A good friend of mine was one of those 240. He was a fighter. He shot. He killed. Otherwise, he would have been killed. He hates it. I only get him to talk about it after about 12 beers. And even then, he cries. My good friend, a big mountain of a man, cries at the lives he took with his rifle on that mission. My dear friend....

Old 04-11-2015, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 10,059 times
Vimy Day was on April 9 btw.... to me, it holds especial significance. That being said, this documentary aired last night about a little known but highly significant battle of a small group of Canadians in the Korean War. I unfortunately missed it but will be trying to get to see it anyways....

Korean War battle of Kapyong among Canada’s greatest victories | National Post

As for my personal feelings, I believe the last "war" we "fought" was the Korean War, since then I would describe the other experiences up till now as peacekeeping which has often turned into violent fights and the sacrifice of Canadian soldiers' lives.

As far as my understanding through the years, all has been voluntary except for a very brief experience with conscription later in one of the world wars which was not well received and was abandoned quite quickly.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:48 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefertitii View Post
Vimy Day was on April 9 btw.... to me, it holds especial significance. That being said, this documentary aired last night about a little known but highly significant battle of a small group of Canadians in the Korean War. I unfortunately missed it but will be trying to get to see it anyways....

Korean War battle of Kapyong among Canada’s greatest victories | National Post

As for my personal feelings, I believe the last "war" we "fought" was the Korean War, since then I would describe the other experiences up till now as peacekeeping which has often turned into violent fights and the sacrifice of Canadian soldiers' lives.

As far as my understanding through the years, all has been voluntary except for a very brief experience with conscription later in one of the world wars which was not well received and was abandoned quite quickly.

Wow, you are really out of touch!! You should read up more about this before you post.
WWII - Canadians declared war one week after the British and years prior to US involvement in the European theater. By the war's end, over 1.6 million citizens would serve in military uniform (out of a prewar population of 11 million) and I think that is amazing!!

Commonwealth of Nations and NATO - Canada has boots on the ground and air support roles as part of their obligations as members of these organizations. Kandahar, Afghanistan for example.

Iraq, Syria - Our fighters were running bombing raids in the Middle East until recently.There were 30 raids by Canadian warplanes in July and 20 raids in each of May and June. The only time Canada conducted fewer missions this year was in February, when only nine strikes were recorded.

Peacekeeping often has to resort to arms.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,724 times
Quote:
WWII - Canadians declared war one week after the British and years prior to US involvement in the European theater. By the war's end, over 1.6 million citizens would serve in military uniform (out of a prewar population of 11 million) and I think that is amazing!!
I seem to have read that while there was indeed a draft, service overseas was voluntary. This was in large part because of resistance from Quebec MPs within King's Liberral caucus and cognizance of the resistance to a draft in Quebec, given the experience during WWI (riots against the draft). Yes, many Canadians served and many served overseas.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
You're gonna love this; but those who were overseas and stipulated as draftees or conscripts were referred to by their volunteer counterparts as "zombies".

Yes; even way back in WWII, that word was popularly used to describe someone not acting of their own volition..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada