Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times

Advertisements

all this idea that the merger can never happen because Canada and US are fundamentally different is ridiculous - if Texas can be in the same country as Massachusetts, then there is no reason the difference between Canada and US keeps them from merging some day. You can argue against the idea, but the difference between the two countries is not a good one.

from a business point of view, it makes all the sense. Canada doesn't have the resources to tap its northern area.

I agree that the EU kind of arrangement is preferable - open border, free labour movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 01:05 PM

46 posts, read 142,696 times
Honestly, this is my first account in this forum. I can swear with any consequence you want to impose. Hell ask a Moderator to check my IP address, geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
all this idea that the merger can never happen because Canada and US are fundamentally different is ridiculous - if Texas can be in the same country as Massachusetts, then there is no reason the difference between Canada and US keeps them from merging some day. You can argue against the idea, but the difference between the two countries is not a good one.

from a business point of view, it makes all the sense. Canada doesn't have the resources to tap its northern area.

I agree that the EU kind of arrangement is preferable - open border, free labour movement.
I agree. Canada's economy heavily relies on the U.S. It's just beneficial to merge them!

Canada'a 3 Largest Export Partners
United States - 74.5%
European Union - 9.5%
China - 4.3%

Canada's 3 Largest Import Partners
United States - 50.6%
China - 11.0%
European Union - 9.2%

United States' 3 Largest Export Partners
Canada - 19%
Mexico - 14%
China - 7%

United States' 3 Largest Import Partners
China - 19%
Canada - 14%
Mexico - 12%

Old 10-27-2013, 01:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Oh, HELL no!
Canada would have everything to lose and virtually nothing to gain. We have natural resources up the wazoo.... gold, diamonds, lumber, minerals, most of the world's potable drinking water, and much more.
What does the US bring to the table besides massive debt, the gun culture and republicans?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 10-27-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 01:51 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Canada would have nothing to gain from union with the US.

At the same time, can we make the borders a little more open? It's pretty ridiculous that I can go from Portugal to Poland and cross five countries in a car or train and not be stopped one time at a border for anything and yet if I drive to Canada half the time I'm stopped and questioned at length or occasionally I'm waiting while they search my whole vehicle. Last time I drove to Ontario from New York State I was waiting a half hour because of a suspicious empty bottle of ginger beer. And yeah, I know a lot of this is the fault of the US(especially post 9/11) and the emphasis on border security down here(and a reciprocal affect for what Canadians go through when they go into the US), but at the same time, for chrissakes... I got less scrutiny crossing highly militarized borders in Central America manned by corrupt federales than when I cross the US-Canada border.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM

320 posts, read 480,382 times
For the people who are seriously thinking about Canadian-U.S. economic relations: Why not discuss what is actually happening instead of entertaining some puff piece du jour (Merger of the Century)? For instance, negotiations continue on the Beyond the Border Action Plan.

2012 Beyond the Border Implementation Report | Canada's Economic Action Plan

Beyond the Border is the real world; the Merger of the Century is facile provocation, akin to the 51st state "debate." Discussion of the former involves substantive issues and very real economic consequences.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
This might be a fantasy for some ... but a merger of Canada and US is not possible. Maybe a EU type arrangement .... but even that would be quite difficult to accomplish. If you think about it, US orchestrated the formation of the EU. So, if the US wanted a similar agreement within Canada -- it would have been accomplished a long time ago.

And here's the funniest part ... who is calling for this merger? Have you ever heard sane Americans or Canadians calling for a united North America? Not sure where the author is getting this idea from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
For the people who are seriously thinking about Canadian-U.S. economic relations: Why not discuss what is actually happening instead of entertaining some puff piece du jour (Merger of the Century)? For instance, negotiations continue on the Beyond the Border Action Plan.

2012 Beyond the Border Implementation Report | Canada's Economic Action Plan

Beyond the Border is the real world; the Merger of the Century is facile provocation, akin to the 51st state "debate." Discussion of the former involves substantive issues and very real economic consequences.
You make a good point. A lot of these initiatives are already underway. The two borders are now sharing entry-exit information. There is a major development of border/ trade infrastructure (e.g. a new Windsor-Detroit bridge).

Last edited by sandman249; 10-27-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryopus View Post
If the Canadians care so much about their sovereign status, why would they still recognize a person living in another country as the Head of State?
That question has been dealt with in several topics on the board (it's really a weird question that makes me shake my head) - but I'll the turn the question around and ask "why not?"

Canada isn't the only country with a recognized Head of State not living on home soil, and it's not as if it's the first time to occur. Throughout history there's been many countries with recognized heads of state living in other countries. It's been a common occurrence so I don't understand why some other people sometimes have difficulty grasping that it's an okay thing with Canada. I think the only excuse there can be for some people not understanding the concept is that they must have received a poor history and social studies education in school.

I hope you are not one of them.

Most importantly though - it's what Canada wanted and when Canada gets what it wants that's really all that matters.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Not only would the United States have a permanent Democratic majority, but that party might even be more left than it is now! Plus, the sectional differences could get even worse.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post

@Zoisite: What would Americans think about this proposal? It would be interesting to speculate, but I imagine most would agree that it's not a great idea. Certainly, it would be fun to frighten the Tea Partiers and other right-wingers with the prospect!!
I'd like that.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM

171 posts, read 273,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
If combined, the US and Canada would have an economy larger than the European Union. The two would be an economic superpower, bigger than South America in size, with more energy, metals and minerals, water, arable land and technology than any other nation, all protected by America’s military.

Citizens of the merged countries would have more options in terms of jobs, business opportunities, climates, studies and lifestyles.

Of course, a merger, as the Europeans discovered, can be difficult. The US and Canada have unique cultures, governments, health care, taxes, gun laws and legal systems. But we have far more similarities than differences.

the network post must forget when the North American Union and Amero come into play we both had polls saying that we would like to keep our current currency then adopt the Amero and the U.S. and Canadian currency would have to be circulated out.

We would have to exchange our money for the new currency and even if we were at par on the exchange rate.

who is to say one dollar U.S. or CAN will get you back $1 Amero since it will be more like $2-$3 dollars to get back one dollar since I can see us both getting a exchange tax or fee added on.

That is until the US economy crashes...which it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada