Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite Maritime Province
Newfoundland 4 16.67%
Prince Edward Island 5 20.83%
New Brunswick 2 8.33%
Nova Scotia 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times

Advertisements

The Maritimes don't get a lot of discussion but these Eastern provinces are undoubtedly among the most friendly, charming, bucolic, and beautiful parts of Canada. This thread is for a spirited discussion about overall experiences with the Maritimes be it having lived there or visited and also the best of what they have to offer. I'll add some criteria here to spark some discussion...

Most scenic and beautiful province:
Bucolic charm/history/culture:
Friendliest province:
Best Economy:
Favorite Coastal location:
Best city/urban area:
(St. John/Halifax/Charlottetown/St. John's)
Favorite overall Maritime Province:

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-16-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
The Maritimes don't get a lot of discussion but these Eastern provinces are undoubtedly among the most friendly, charming, bucolic, and beautiful parts of Canada. This thread is for a spirited discussion about overall experiences with the Maritimes be it having lived there or visited and also the best of what they have to offer. I'll add some criteria here to spark some discussion...
Note -- I have never been to Newfoundland. I've done the other 3 extensively.

Most scenic and beautiful province: Nova Scotia
Bucolic charm/history/culture: Strange mishmash, no? Charm: PEI, History: NB/NS, Culture: NL is most unique, but in terms of art/museums/music etc: Nova Scotia
Friendliest province: NB
Best Economy: pre-oil boom -- anywhere but NL... since oil boom -- NL
Favorite Coastal location: tough one... Mahone Bay, NS, too many HM's to actually mention
Best city/urban area: Halifax
Favorite overall Maritime Province: PEI

Old 11-16-2013, 05:02 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
Should be noted that Newfoundland it NOT part of the Maritimes, the Maritimes is exclusively PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Newfoundland + the Maritimes is Atlantic Canada. I know I seem like a jerk for arguing the semantics, but it's important to get that information out there as it can cause confusion in real life situations if people mentally have the wrong definitions of these geographic terms. Part of these distinctions comes of the long historical period when the Maritimes were Canadian provinces and Newfoundland was independent of Canada.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Should be noted that Newfoundland it NOT part of the Maritimes, the Maritimes is exclusively PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Newfoundland + the Maritimes is Atlantic Canada. I know I seem like a jerk for arguing the semantics, but it's important to get that information out there as it can cause confusion in real life situations if people mentally have the wrong definitions of these geographic terms. Part of these distinctions comes of the long historical period when the Maritimes were Canadian provinces and Newfoundland was independent of Canada.
OK, well I'll include it anyways. It's in the East on the Atlantic like the rest of them.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 AM

Anyone been to Newfoundland? In photos it looks quite rugged with a very stark kind of beauty. It piques my curiosity and I've head they are quite the characters up there and St. John's is suppose to have to pretty fun and interesting nightlife.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Never been to Nfld. But Cape Breton Island is one of the most beautiful places Ive been to in Canada. Specially along the Cabot trail.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,059,290 times
I can't vote in this poll because I like all of them, I don't know how you could pick just one.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,100 times
Most scenic and beautiful province: NS/NL. NS is far more developed, but both are cut by the sea, so to speak, making for some spectacular beauty.

Bucolic charm/history/culture: Charm: PEI. History: NS (by FAR - it's been the crossroads of just about everything). Culture: NL, with NS a distant second.

Friendliest province: NL, NS second (on the surface)

Best Economy: This question is like asking which sort of cancer is the best to have. All have terrible economies. The economies in most large cities are pretty good, but outside of that... it's like a whole other world.

Favorite Coastal location: South shore of Nova Scotia

Best city/urban area: Halifax.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
NS a distant second to NFL when it comes to culture? I doubt that, NS has more Universities, a great music and arts scene and a more diverse population.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
NS a distant second to NFL when it comes to culture? I doubt that, NS has more Universities, a great music and arts scene and a more diverse population.
I would imagine the poster was probably implying Newfoundland's unique and distinctive identity and character, perhaps a bit more palpable than in other Atlantic provinces. Universities/music/arts/diversity are found in most large cities (in this case Halifax), and I'm sure Halifax probably has a lot of history and character, but then there's the Newfies.

Given the chance that I could travel to that part of Canada, I'd probably choose St. John's, NF over Halifax, NS because it's probably a lot different and unique than anywhere I've ever experienced. I'd guess (though I could be wrong) that maybe Halifax is somewhat comparable to a New England seaport city, say like Portland, Maine or a little bit of Boston perhaps.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-23-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada