Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM

7,323 posts, read 9,382,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
It amazes me how hypercritical people get by pretending race doesn't matter at all. Just out of curiosity, how many of the "race doesn't matter" white guys will choose to live in a neighborhood where 80% of the residents are black and feel completely comfortable, putting crime rates aside?

The OP does have his right to ask questions like "are there many black people" considering he may put his wife and daughter on the street, as statistically speaking, there is a high correlation between racial composition of a neighborhood and crime rate, no offense to any black men and women.

We are supposed to be politically correct, but oftentimes our own behavior doesn't really reflect what we claim.
To answer your question, I would have no problem living in a neighbourhood where 80 percent of the residents are black, putting crime rates aside.

You are probably right though that oftentimes are own behaviour doesn't reflect what we claim. However, wrt the OP, if the OP meant to ask about high crime rates in Newfoundland, I would have supposed that he or she would have asked about high crime rates. Race isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about areas high in crime - poverty is.

Black and a high crime rate do not necessarily have anything to do with each other.

Now it may be a fact that in some areas the neighbourhoods with high crime rates are mostly black, or in the case of western Canada, mostly occupied by First Nations, but the question, unless one is a racist, is still "what areas are best to avoid due to a high crime rate" not "what neighbourhoods to avoid based on a race."

However, I do agree with the point you make about unemployment, in the post after this. A low rate of unemployment does not mean necessarily there are jobs available in industry-specific area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada