Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 11:24 PM

4 posts, read 52,247 times

Advertisements

What is new foundland like? are there many blacks there, how would I go about getting a temporary visa and how would I go about getting a skilled worker positon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 11:25 AM

148 posts, read 877,892 times
Well, for starters it's called Newfoundland...

I don't know about blacks in Newfoundland but I suspect it's lower than the national average as Newfoundland was independent up until 1949. Regardless, it concerns me you have to ask this question if you are white.

Newfoundland's unemployment rate is the highest in the country and the government needs to have a strong fiscal presence to keep it viable... tries to create employment, etc. Many Newfoundlanders are moving to Alberta to find work as skilled workers as it is just not worth it to stay there.

I don't actually live there so perhaps someone who has first hand experience can clarify somethings for you.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,059,166 times
I've lived in Newfoundland & Labrador for the past 14 years and the majority of residents are definitely white (why does that matter anyway?) but they'll accept you whatever color you are in the first place. (St. John's residents will just be like any other cities.)

What kind of work are you looking for in Newfoundland? The out migration rate is rising so we do need people here to stay. Take a look here for information on immigrating to Canada. Any more questions, feel free to ask.

What's Newfoundland like? These probably don't apply to the metro St. John's but... it's quiet, pretty peaceful, full of tourists who'll spend an indefinite amount of money with moderate summers and cold winters.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM

103 posts, read 447,740 times
I was actually asked by a newfie what a mexican looked like??LOL

Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 AM

311 posts, read 1,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeMarketSlave View Post
I was actually asked by a newfie what a mexican looked like??LOL
And that post was related to the subject?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:35 AM

103 posts, read 447,740 times
Actually, that was what was left of a heavily edited post. I wrote it and thought otherwise. To answer the question, the very few i've seen were probably students and not from the US. I wouldn't think anyone would be discriminated against.

Benjamin Franklin said something to the effect that every man should have two homes, and one of them should be in France. I would change that to one of them in Newfoundland.

Last edited by FreeMarketSlave; 11-26-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,310 times
i am a black person and i am thinking of studing at a university in Newfoundland. Thing is i would be moving with my daughter whom i would like to enroll in school while we are there, and i worry about her having to face rasim.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
My French teacher from high school was from Newfoundland and Labrador. I was talking with another friend about taking a trip to Canada. My teacher told me that I might be like a celebrity in her hometown because there were very few, if any, blacks living in her hometown(St. John's).

Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,083,010 times
Since I saw this thread I thought I might as well ask.

How exactly do you pronouce Newfoundland?

I hear that saying "New Finland" as most would say it that way is incorrect. So do you say New-Found-Land or what?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,762,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africangirl View Post
i am a black person and i am thinking of studing at a university in Newfoundland. Thing is i would be moving with my daughter whom i would like to enroll in school while we are there, and i worry about her having to face rasim.

The people of Newfoundland are among the friendliest and most accepting I've encountered in a reasonable amount of world travel. I sincerely doubt you'd have many problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada