Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 03:02 PM

3,492 posts, read 2,833,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have actually met quite a few German speakers here in Manitoba.
High German or Mennonite Low German?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHecQTuvp-Q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 03:34 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,360,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post

That link isn't really about Mennonites in Canada but rather about the backstory of Mennonites leaving Canada for Mexico and places south.

But if your point is that there's a difference between Germans and Mennonites, yes, there is. And while the language in your link is Mennonite Low German, the primary language used in church and in school is High German.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:54 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,437,440 times
Quote:

I am not even sure. I know some of them are not Mennonite so I assume it would not be that variety. I actually worked with a young lady whos step mother is German and she lived in Germany for about two years. She was fluent in German.

Netwit can probably tell you way more about the German speaking community here.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
That link isn't really about Mennonites in Canada but rather about the backstory of Mennonites leaving Canada for Mexico and places south.

But if your point is that there's a difference between Germans and Mennonites, yes, there is. And while the language in your link is Mennonite Low German, the primary language used in church and in school is High German.
Mennonites are a quite flexible bunch when it comes to agriculture. There’s a big difference in what you can grow in the Prairie Provinces and what you can grow in tropical Latin America.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:41 AM

7,310 posts, read 9,360,626 times
Quote:
Mennonites are a quite flexible bunch when it comes to agriculture. There’s a big difference in what you can grow in the Prairie Provinces and what you can grow in tropical Latin America.
I'm not understanding your point. Agriculture isn't why they left Canada. Can you understand what they are saying on your link?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm not understanding your point. Agriculture isn't why they left Canada. Can you understand what they are saying on your link?
I was just making an off-topic comment. I only know English.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,122,127 times
Quote:
Plants are flexible too. No matter what kinds of plants they are or where they are growing they don't care who is growing them or where the growers came from.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:30 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
America has a poor track record encouraging 2nd language acquisition -most of ours comes from immigration -we are a comfortable people with not so much ambition channeled into practical achievable goals -it’s more the -my passion my dream thing

Old 11-17-2020, 02:59 PM

14,387 posts, read 11,798,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
America has a poor track record encouraging 2nd language acquisition -most of ours comes from immigration -we are a comfortable people with not so much ambition channeled into practical achievable goals -it’s more the -my passion my dream thing
If it were vital or very advantageous for Americans to acquire a second language in order to be successful internationally, you can be sure that it would be prioritized.

Actually, neither the US nor English-speaking Canada nor the UK nor any other anglophone country is really great at encouraging fluent second language acquisition, for the simple reason that this is correctly viewed as a great amount of effort for a small return. English is already the global language of technology, science, medicine, and business.

Learning a second language may be personally enriching; I believe it is, but this is not considered highly motivating by a majority of people.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:52 PM

One could say American English has numerous dialects that are semi-mutually intelligible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6qGwmXZtsE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada