Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 AM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There's a vast difference between the latest injection of silicon into a Kardashian butt or what Senator McCain thinks about Canada reported in the daily news on FOX and the "rider" attached to a bill presented in Canada's parliament. Both quality and quantity.
I thank you and am repping your post if I can. I will repost the gist of what I posted above. America's prosperity is largely due to having borders that, for all relevant time periods have been peaceful. Europe's have been nominally peaceful since 1945, but mostly with the coercive help of U.S. forces and to a lesser extent very fragile EU centralization.

Americans and Canadians both have to understand something. They need each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 08:16 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

The amount of Canadian talent in past and present Hollywood is staggering, and most of the world doesn't even know.
Ever wonder why?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

As for Canadian talent in the U.S - its staggering the numbers but even with them having to assimilate in ways, I still think credit needs to be given where due in the fact that they are Canadian and are influencing in their own right really an Anglo N.A culture.. The Canadian contribution is overshadowed unfortunately, but to be dismissive of it is an injustice and its just not the way it is even if it isn't recognized as strongly as I think it should be.. Something can exist and be unknown or relatively unknown at the same time. I think that is changing albeit slowly....
If it bothers Canadians that much then they should create their own entertainment industry and support it, instead of piggybacking on someone else's and then constantly begging for attention like Chester the terrier does with Spike the bulldog.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Pretty fascinated by the topic - umm yeah lol

As I said, I think you overstate it... I wouldn't say there isn't an imbalance and really I don't even think its a bad thing. Being aware of your neighbour is a good thing but do I think you overstate things on the matter overall - yup!

Sure here and there but not much no.. Don't overstate.. Besides, since Trudeau there has been A LOT of interest in him from south of the border and worldwide. Even yes in Indonesia where one guy said to us - wow you're so lucky to have such a hot PM zzzzzzzzzzzzz.. On the flip, he was impressed with my knowledge of Indonesian politics.

This one i'd say yes more so than American politics.. When it comes to American fiction and stories more so than real life examples. Thing with Hollywood is though, that is one aspect of the relationship that is incredibly organic given the Canadian talent infused and influencing it.

Not often.. Don't overstate.. They'd just as much likely talk about Canadian celebrities both 'real' or 'manufactured' ie Justin and Celine etc.

When its sports number ONE by a LOOOOONG way is Hockey... Everything else is second fiddle.. When it comes to others Basketball at least in T.O right now is where its at obviously with the Raptors and that sport was invented by a Canadian... Hmm maybe the relationship is more balanced after all or should I say maybe we shouldn't overstate everything whilst denying or minimizing other things that aren't American which yes AJ, I find you tend to do... I'm not saying the pendulum doesn't swing more to one than the other, I just wish you'd invest a bit more energy in looking at what we are saying to you as English Canadians. You tend to just dismiss this as some sort of illusion or being disingenuous about how we feel and I don't think that's the case. You'd be surprised how many local and national things we do talk about and how much they define us.. I would say from my experience much more so than Americana put together - absolutely!
Honest question. You've travelled around the world and so have I.

Do you think that Canada feels as Canadian as Indonesia feels Indonesian, as the US feels American, as Germany feels German, as Venezuela feels Venezuelan, as Britain feels British?

Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 PM

Re: Canadians don't care about the U.S. and don't define themselves in opposition.

It took less than one second to find. And there are tons of others.

A Friendly Canada Day Message To Our Neighbours In The United States

Canada Day is coming up, so we can look forward to more of these statements about how Canada is different and better than U.S.

I wonder if the Americans talk or think about Canada on July 4?

Old 05-14-2016, 09:48 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Re: Canadians don't care about the U.S. and don't define themselves in opposition.

It took less than one second to find. And there are tons of others.

A Friendly Canada Day Message To Our Neighbours In The United States

Canada Day is coming up, so we can look forward to more of these statements about how Canada is different and better than U.S.
Come on, dude. That was so gentle and tongue-in-cheek. Kind of like most Canadian humo(u)r directed at/about the 'States. And, really, kind of like most Canadians.

In my experience as an American -- and I live relatively near the border (about two hours south), and visit BC frequently -- the lifestyle I encounter and the people I meet in Canada are endearingly pleasant and low-key compared to many (not all) Americans. That in itself is an important and notable cultural difference. Don't get me wrong. I am happy in America, and have no desire to emigrate. It's just that I am aware of the limitations and advantages to both countries.

Of course Canadians are more knowlegeable and concerned about the U.S. than vice-versa. If Canada were ten times larger in population and dominated world news media and entertainment the way America does, and maintained a huge and scary military that is stationed all over the globe, the roles would be reversed. But things have worked out the way they are. And that's okay. Canada gets to wryly observe the elephant down south snorting and bellowing, and America gets to blithely go along thinking it's the only game in town, while the rest of the world just keeps its fingers crossed and tries to avoid getting trampled.

Wise people on both sides of the border know that America could never really emulate Canada. We're too jumbled up and messy and tropical, and arid, and wet and dry and hot and cold, and we can't sit still and be nice. And Canada is wayyyyy too polite and discrete to go around yelling "we're number one! Canada! Love it or leave it!" (I mean, really...)

So if Canada sometimes seems to pay more attention to the U.S. than you think it should, try looking away the next time you see a car wreck. Or a parade. Or a naked stripper.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 05-14-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Come on, dude. That was so gentle and tongue-in-cheek. Kind of like most Canadian humo(u)r directed at/about the 'States. And, really, kind of like most Canadians.

In my experience as an American -- and I live relatively near the border (about two hours south), and visit BC frequently -- the lifestyle I encounter and the people I meet in Canada are endearingly pleasant and low-key compared to many (not all) Americans. That in itself is an important and notable cultural difference. Don't get me wrong. I am happy in America, and have no desire to emigrate. It's just that I am aware of the limitations and advantages to both countries.

Of course Canadians are more knowlegeable and concerned about the U.S. than vice-versa. If Canada were ten times larger in population and dominated world news media and entertainment the way America does, and maintained a huge and scary military that is stationed all over the globe, the roles would be reversed. But things have worked out the way they are. And that's okay. Canada gets to wryly observe the elephant down south snorting and bellowing, and America gets to blithely go along thinking it's the only game in town, while the rest of the world just keeps its fingers crossed and tries to avoid getting trampled.

Wise people on both sides of the border know that America could never really emulate Canada. We're too jumbled up and messy and tropical, and arid, and wet and dry and hot and cold, and we can't sit still and be nice. And Canada is wayyyyy too polite and discrete to go around yelling "we're number one! Canada! Love it or leave it!" (I mean, really...)

So if Canada sometimes seems to pay more attention to the U.S. than you think it should, try looking away the next time you see a car wreck. Or a parade. Or a naked stripper.
I am largely in agreement with you on the reasons for this. Just responding to the denial.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:05 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've had this conversation before about English Canadian talent. How a lot of it does get swallowed up by Hollywood, and if you are an actor the DO ask you to get rid of your Canadian accent.
I'm not so sure, Nat.

As I have mentioned before, I've done voice work for American broadcast; most often "liners" (station IDs) to be used in radio. It's a sideline that I've done for years, in addition to my usual job. I get asked to do such, because, as producers have said, "You have neither a Canadian or American accent; you are perfectly neutral and understandable to everybody." Of course, changes can be made in post-production (reverb, background music, sound effects, etc); but my point is that I have never been asked to get rid of my natural accent in the studio when I'm doing a straight read, even when it is for an American client.

That said, many actors, and voice actors like me, do have a variety of "accents" they can perform, often flawlessly. To cite a few Canadians, Dan Aykroyd sounds a lot different in "The Blues Brothers" than he does in "Driving Miss Daisy," and I'd suggest that he's different from both of those in "Tommy Boy." Rick Moranis could do both hoser Bob Mackenzie and nervous Louis the accountant in "Ghostbusters." But I doubt that any of these people were told to get rid of their Canadian accent; rather, I would suggest that they were asked to adopt a _____ accent if it was required. I myself have a number of accents/character voices that I can do, and they are on my demo reels.

I guess my point is, that I've never been told to get rid of my natural accent. I've been asked to adopt others (New Yorkers, Kentucky backwoodsmen, Texans, Irish, cartoon characters, etc.), but no producer has ever said, "Dump the 'oots and aboots'" when I do a straight read. Because when I do a straight read, there are no "oots and aboots."

Old 05-15-2016, 05:28 AM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If it bothers Canadians that much then they should create their own entertainment industry and support it, instead of piggybacking on someone else's and then constantly begging for attention like Chester the terrier does with Spike the bulldog.
They do with "Canadian content" laws.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They do with "Canadian content" laws.
I cannot begin to rep you enough for that one!

It very nicely juxtaposes the language dispute in Canada and it's somewhat illogical Provincial laws alongside the parallel nature of the Canadian Content laws and what some would say are silly rules proving to be inadequate at best to protect Canada's "culture".

The inevitable is going to happen in any case regardless. Might take longer but it's gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada