Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:17 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,172 times

Advertisements

Where did this stereotype originate, and how far back does it date to? Does it have to do with that of British reservedness in any way?

How about the impression that Canadians are overly polite, saying "sorry" all the time and all that, where does that all come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
I don't know where it originated or how far back it goes but for the most part the stereotypes about being polite are true. This website has a lot of information about Canadian manners and etiquette: http://www.thecanadaguide.com/manners

The following excerpt called Understanding Canadians is from Simon Fraser University and it's an introduction to help foreign students in understanding how to adjust and interact with Canadians. I think they have done a pretty good job of summing up the nature of Canadians. I checked and double checked to make sure the information isn't copyrighted and that it was okay to copy over to here:

https://www.sfu.ca/students/isap/han...n-culture.html

Understanding Canadians

While it is difficult to describe all Canadians, there are a few common values that Canadians tend to share as a whole:

Freedom and individuality: Canadians tend to see themselves as individuals first, rather than as members of a group. Decisions about career, education, and social activities tend to be made based on personal interest.

Politeness and fairness: Canadians value politeness, saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ in many social situations; they are often apologetic, and may even say ‘Excuse me’ or ‘I’m sorry’ if someone else has bumped into them. Generally speaking, Canadians tend to feel uncomfortable in situations where another person is acting aggressive or rude, and try to avoid conflict/confrontation. Lining up for services is something that most Canadians feel strongly about, following the idea that the first person who arrived should be served first; Canadians tend to feel quite uncomfortable or frustrated when people ‘jump the queue’ (jump ahead in line) or do not line up at all.

Personal space/Privacy: Canadians value their personal space. When speaking to each other or lining up, they typically feel most comfortable allowing an arm’s length between people. Similarly, they prefer to respect each other’s privacy; polite conversation between strangers will typically be about something light, such as the weather, steering away from sensitive topics like money, politics, status, etc. Canadians' need for personal space and privacy goes hand-in-hand with their sense of individuality, that everyone is entitled to personal space and privacy.

Tolerance, sensitivity and political correctness: As Canada is a very multicultural country with citizens with a variety of different beliefs, Canadians try to avoid expressions or actions that can be insulting to others. As a whole, Canadians take a more liberal approach to social and political issues.

Eye contact is a sign of honesty/sincerity: While eye contact at all times isn’t required, Canadians appreciate a certain level of eye contact during conversation, as it implies a level of trust and honesty.

Being on time: Canadians value their time, and expect others to be on schedule. Whether for a class, meeting, work or other scheduled event, it is best to arrive on time or even a few minutes early.

Curiosity about other cultures: Many Canadians travel abroad, and so tend to be curious about other countries. It is not uncommon to ask ‘Where are you from?’, or ‘What is your background/heritage?’. Canadians even ask each other these questions, as family heritage and community culture are a large part of what defines Canada’s multicultural society.

Informality: Canadians tend to interact more informally with each other. Specifically in a university setting, some professors will ask you to refer to them by their first (given) name; they may also encourage you to ask questions or provide opinions in class, to create a more discussion-oriented lesson.

Last edited by Zoisite; 04-16-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Boring thread, change the subject.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:

As demonstrated in the above post some Canadians do tend to get a bit rude and abrupt when they are feeling bored with things they consider unimportant or a waste of time.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Where did this stereotype originate, and how far back does it date to? Does it have to do with that of British reservedness in any way?

How about the impression that Canadians are overly polite, saying "sorry" all the time and all that, where does that all come from?
I'm sorry that you feel that way aboot us. Could it help to change your mind about Canadians if I told you to go fork yourself!!!! LOL. So sorry about the bad joke, we are well known in that department also. So, on behalf of all apologetic Canadians I'm sorry aboot our bad sense of humor. It's not that's it's bad actually but it's just that Yankees just don't understand jokes more complicated than a pie in the face. Well, I'm sorry kinda, I really didn't mean Yankees, that just sorta slipped out in a moment of weakness. I meant Americans in general and I have to apologise for that cause there are some general funny Americans that understand Canadian jokes but never American generals that are funny or sorry either for that matter for bombing Denmark or invading Finland or whatever they brew up in that Pentagram of theirs. Theys the ones that ought to be sorry just like I was the time I drank a whole two four and kept whacking passers bye with my hockey stick. I tell ya, I was exceedingly sorry for that one for aboot 90 days of weekends.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Someone holding a long gun to your head and forcing you to read it? That's a shame.
I'm so sorry.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Well, obviously, from the fact that we're in somebody's way, and inconvenienced them. Such things happen in crowded areas where people tend to bump into each other: carnivals, public festivals, sports venues, parades, and similar.

Note, however, that if we are not in somebody's way (or unlikely to be), and are bumped into, it is unlikely that you'll hear a "sorry." More likely, you'll hear "Jesus!" or "Dahell?" or something stronger.

Canadians are pretty easygoing and forgive minor transgressions easily (moreso, perhaps, than Americans), but in spite of what you saw in the movie "Canadian Bacon" and a Simpsons episode set in Toronto, they do have their limits. Invade their personal space, carry things too far, and/or expect that they will act like carpets that you can walk over; and they will let you know of their displeasure in a manner that you may not expect.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:

I don't when it dates back to, but it's basically correct. People around the world tend to learn about Canadians through the American media industry, since it has the most influence, and these impressions are things that Americans often notice as differences when they travel up north, so it's unsurprising these observations are the ones that are spread through their cultural products. Perhaps if people learned about Canada mostly from Japanese people they'd think of us as fairly boisterous.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:51 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
When people accidently bump into you guys, do you sometimes say sorry? I hate when I do that.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
When people accidently bump into you guys, do you sometimes say sorry? I hate when I do that.

I do. lol

More so if someone backs into me. I mean, really, I shouldn't have been so into their personal bubble.

lmao.....reminds me of Canadian Bacon, when John Candy and crew are shoving their way down an embankment to the CN tower, and everyone they push is saying sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada