Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 03:55 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times

Advertisements

I never thought such things existed, until I saw this on Wikipedia.

List of Canada hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 PM

250 posts, read 642,867 times
Yes. I lived through Juan in Halifax.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Yes, I have. Just a couple of times though, in New Brunswick, which would be fairly well inland from the worst winds. The south shore of Nova Scotia is directly in line with any hurricane moving north.

They tend to peter out into regular rainstorms with high gusts of wind by the time they reach Canada's East Coast. They drop in strength when they get to the colder water around the mid-Atlantic states and are tropical-strength storms, and weaken still more when they get to New England, if they haven't moved out far into the ocean by then. About half of them move eastward into the ocean when they reach New England, and Canada doesn't get touched by them at all.

On the rare occasions that they still have hurricane-strength winds when they hit Canada, they're generally about a level 1. Not much to get in a panic over. Hurricane Juan in 2003 was still strong when it hit Halifax and it caused quite a bit of damage there, lots of old trees blew over. A fairly strong hurricane hitting the Maritimes would be like a once in a lifetime thing, and a level 4 will never happen in Canada.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:38 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,054 times
Hurricane Hazel, in 1954, saw dozens of deaths, and hundreds of homes destroyed, in the Toronto area.

link'

Hurricane Hazel

Barrie, Ontario , was hit by a hurricane in 1985, that destroyed homes and industrial buildings, and it killed a number of people,

CBC Digital Archives - Deadly Skies: Canada's Most Destructive Tornadoes - 1985 Barrie tornado

The typical hurricane path is to come up through Ohio or Michigan, cross into Ontario near the city of Windsor, and continue on a north easterly course, to wards Toronto, and on towards Ottawa.

East coast cities in Canada are more likely to be hit by ocean storms, moving up the Atlantic coast.

Jim B.

Toronto,

Old 06-03-2014, 05:44 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Hurricane Hazel, in 1954, saw dozens of deaths, and hundreds of homes destroyed, in the Toronto area.

link'

Hurricane Hazel

Barrie, Ontario , was hit by a hurricane in 1985, that destroyed homes and industrial buildings, and it killed a number of people,

CBC Digital Archives - Deadly Skies: Canada's Most Destructive Tornadoes - 1985 Barrie tornado

The typical hurricane path is to come up through Ohio or Michigan, cross into Ontario near the city of Windsor, and continue on a north easterly course, to wards Toronto, and on towards Ottawa.

East coast cities in Canada are more likely to be hit by ocean storms, moving up the Atlantic coast.

Jim B.

Toronto,
My impression is that hurricanes that move inland from the Gulf of Mexico and up the Mid West up to Ontario tend to turn into severe rainstorms and tornados? (Never seen a tornado, never want to...)

Old 06-03-2014, 07:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Hurricane Frieda in 1962 in Vancouver and area….it hit Washington State as well so that is why some call it the Columbus Day Storm, at least in the US, not in Canada of course.

Columbus Day Storm of 1962 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I never thought such things existed, until I saw this on Wikipedia.

List of Canada hurricanes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Even hurricanes have struck Ireland before, food for thought

Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
The west coast has gotten its fair share of Pacific cyclones. Most recent really nasty one was in December 2006, there was what Seattle called the Hanukkah Eve Wind Storm and Vancouver called the Stanley Park Storm. That storm slammed us with 100 mph wind gusts and took down thousands of old growth trees on the islands and the mainland (1,000 in Stanley Park alone), knocked out electricity to nearly 2 million residences and businesses, and 18 people died in the aftermath.

Hanukkah Eve wind storm of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Animation of Hanukkah Eve Storm approaching the West Coast of North America.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-03-2014 at 10:33 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The west coast has gotten its fair share of Pacific cyclones. Most recent really nasty one was in December 2006, there was what Seattle called the Hanukkah Eve Wind Storm and Vancouver called the Stanley Park Storm. That storm slammed us with 100 mph wind gusts and took down thousands of old growth trees on the islands and the mainland (1,000 in Stanley Park alone), knocked out electricity to nearly 2 million residences and businesses, and 18 people died in the aftermath.

Hanukkah Eve wind storm of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Animation of Hanukkah Eve Storm approaching the West Coast of North America.
I live downtown and slept through it all.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:29 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinalberta View Post
Yes. I lived through Juan in Halifax.
Yes, me too. Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada