Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I'm not a fan of Harper's conservatives or any of the other parties, to be quite honest. However, after seeing how Wynn's Liberals made out in the last Ontario election, I'm not going to pay much attention to the polls leading into this one. Unless Trudeau can somehow enhance his image and come up with a unified vision for Canada while somehow managing to keep his foot out of his mouth, the national vote will be split much like the Provincial vote was split in Ontario and Harper will be headed for another majority. The alternatives are simply too terrifying for most Canadians to consider in these uncertain times.
We've been there and done that so many times over the decades to know before the flag drops that neither is going to use common sense fiscally but rather promise the chicken in every pot, complete transparency, a higher moral and ethical level but in the end it will be business as usual with simply the walking across the floor to assume the same seating only looking in the other direction while delivering on none of their platform.

'Better the devil you know than........' and all that stuff enters the equation through years and years of disappointing performance by ALL of them.

I'm convinced now that four monkeys in a room with 3 dartboards would result in at least the same success in picking our leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I'm convinced now that four monkeys in a room with 3 dartboards would result in at least the same success in picking our leadership.
Those aren't darts!...Why are they brown?...

Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Those aren't darts!...Why are they brown?...
O.K that's two keyboards in one City Data sitting! Enough already!

Old 08-11-2014, 11:41 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Compared to the US, the Canadian budget deficit as percent of the GDP is much lower. Last year, Canada had a deficit that was 1% of the GDP. The US had a deficit that was 4.1% of GDP.
CBC News - Interactive: Canada's deficits and surpluses, 1963-2014
Federal Surplus or Deficit [-] as Percent of Gross Domestic Product - FRED - St. Louis Fed

Canada's federal system may put more burden on the provinces than the states in the US so that may account for some of the difference, but I am not familiar with Canadian provinces fiscal burden as part of overall government spending. In the US, the vast majority of states must run balanced budgets.
Seems overall though that Canada has it's fiscal deficit in better order than the US.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I'm not a fan of Harper's conservatives or any of the other parties, to be quite honest. However, after seeing how Wynn's Liberals made out in the last Ontario election, I'm not going to pay much attention to the polls leading into this one. Unless Trudeau can somehow enhance his image and come up with a unified vision for Canada while somehow managing to keep his foot out of his mouth, the national vote will be split much like the Provincial vote was split in Ontario and Harper will be headed for another majority. The alternatives are simply too terrifying for most Canadians to consider in these uncertain times.
This is what makes politics fun ( for some )

I see the game one way, and others theirs. We will all know next year how it will turn out. Although I think we can agree, Harper does see Trudeau as a threat.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Compared to the US, the Canadian budget deficit as percent of the GDP is much lower. Last year, Canada had a deficit that was 1% of the GDP. The US had a deficit that was 4.1% of GDP.
Federal Surplus or Deficit [-] as Percent of Gross Domestic Product - FRED - St. Louis Fed

Canada's federal system may put more burden on the provinces than the states in the US so that may account for some of the difference, but I am not familiar with Canadian provinces fiscal burden as part of overall government spending. In the US, the vast majority of states must run balanced budgets.
Seems overall though that Canada has it's fiscal deficit in better order than the US.
Now do keep in mind that this was written by Diane Francis and thus must be taken with a grain of salt -- she tends to have a flair for the dramatic and occasionally provokes otherwise even-tempered people to anger -- but she does make a few valid points in the following admittedly dated opinion piece.

Canada’s profligate provinces | Financial Post

Old 08-13-2014, 08:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

It is true that the Canadian federal budget deficit is better but the provinces are another story. The per capita spending by the provincial governments is much higher than the US states and they have some staggering debt like Ontario.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Now do keep in mind that this was written by Diane Francis and thus must be taken with a grain of salt -- she tends to have a flair for the dramatic and occasionally provokes otherwise even-tempered people to anger -- but she does make a few valid points in the following admittedly dated opinion piece.

Canada’s profligate provinces | Financial Post
I think the gist of it is pretty accurate but it is out of date as far as the states go. California is now running a surplus and was able to increase education spending by $2 Billion and still have enough for a rainy day fund.

Ontario is the real problem for Canada and it doesn't look like it will improve in the near future.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 AM

342 posts, read 511,219 times
What happened to Canada? It has become a country of spoiled brats. Once a hardy and tough people, We have chosen to become wholly dependent on the Americans for a first world living standard and like a spoiled child sit back in luxury and expect the Americans to pay for them and duly attend to their defense. At the same time, ungrateful Canadians spend much of the rest of their time ranting about how much more civil and polite they are than the Americans or *insert other nation*. They have a never-ending one war competition with the Americans which the Americans aren't even aware of. For these insecure Canadians their definition of success is measured by how well they measure up to any American performance. That is what happened to Canada. Long gone is the hardworking and stoic lumberjack who was fixated on the preperation for winter? The new fixation is the the latest fashion from America, all while boasting how not <i>American<i> they are. So what happened to Canada? It sunk from a tough nation of hardy woodsmen to a collection of brats demanding their next government cheque. It went from a group who were proud of their ancestors at the Plains d'Abraham to a collection of squabblers who will vote for whoever gives them the largest subsidy payment. It has become a country of the shakiest nerves, ready to take offence at the slightest comment. And most of all, it has become a country that has become defined by <i>not<i> being something. What other countries defines itself by what it's <i>not<i>? It's a formula for mediocrity. That is what happened to Canada.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:59 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Did you forget that you started this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada