Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:39 AM

35 posts, read 67,087 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We have almost decided to move to Windsor Ontario, and commute to work to Detroit. Already I got lots of information from various forum members and thanks a lot for that.

One final question which is bothering me is about Healthcare. In US I paying around 1000$+ for monthly insurance plans.

One of the reason I am planning to move to Canada is healthcare, but when I researched about it in internet, people shared horrible delays and stories about it.

Does the healthcare really work? because, if something is free, then people tend to overuse it, so in a way the delay in healthcare sounds true.

So, could some one share their experience and views about below healthcare (particularly in Windsor) concerns, Thanks!

1) How long it will take to find a family doctor?

2) How long it will take to find a children - pediatrician? can we choose one, or does the govt. will allocate one for us?

3) How hard it is to find a specialization appointment?

4) I heard about walk-in clinics, what does it mean?

5) Does the emergency service really work? because if it is free, then people try to go for emergency even for small issues, right?

I am really confused about it. Thanks!

Note: When I was listing all the positive points to move to Windsor, Canada, healthcare is one of them and I can avoid paying huge amount for health insurance in US. but I am trying to find all downside of healthcare, so that I can plan accordingly. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 AM

I came across below thread, and it has really good information at system level. But I am looking more at Individual level and issues especially in Windsor City. Thanks!

//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...em-really.html

Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
1) I don't know about what Windsor's GP situation looks like, sorry.
2) The Govt won't allocate you one and you do need to find one for yourself. You can choose any that will take you.
3) You need a referral from a GP for the most part, they'll see faster or slower depending on the reason for the referral.
4) Walk-in clinics are clinics full of family physicians where you can "walk-in" and wait to see one without an appointment.
5) It works, and yes there can be long waits. No, it isn't broken because people are triaged and treated based on severity of their need. If you come to the emergency room with a cold you will be low priority and wait for many hours. No one cares if it's free if they need to wait that long, they'd be more likely to go to a walk-in clinic for more minor ailments because those are free too (or just got see their GP or pharmacist which are also free).

Old 03-09-2015, 02:59 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
I will tell you the secret to get the absolutely best healthcare in Canada. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". I personally have cost the Ontario healthcare system millions of dollars because of some serious accidents and illnesses. Dealing with the system is not a lot different than dealing with a lot of other services. I was told I would have to wait 3 months for an MRI and I had it done in 3 days. I was told the waiting period for cochlear implants was 5 years. I had two of them in a year. I was told there was no solution for my smashed shoulder. I tracked down the world's top shoulder surgeon in Toronto and he fixed it. Do your research, demand the best treatment and don't take no for an answer.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
1) I don't know about what Windsor's GP situation looks like, sorry.
2) The Govt won't allocate you one and you do need to find one for yourself. You can choose any that will take you.
3) You need a referral from a GP for the most part, they'll see faster or slower depending on the reason for the referral.
4) Walk-in clinics are clinics full of family physicians where you can "walk-in" and wait to see one without an appointment.
5) It works, and yes there can be long waits. No, it isn't broken because people are triaged and treated based on severity of their need. If you come to the emergency room with a cold you will be low priority and wait for many hours. No one cares if it's free if they need to wait that long, they'd be more likely to go to a walk-in clinic for more minor ailments because those are free too (or just got see their GP or pharmacist which are also free).
Thanks for the reply!

So from your reply, I could see that it works with few exceptions. I like the idea of walk-in clinics. And I believe Ontario health care does not cover prescribed drugs which kind of scares me.

For example: In US for my eye allergy medicine, I pay 35$ copay, and insurance pays 350$ per refill. And same with my wife medicine. Now if I have to get same medicine in Canada, I end up paying 400$ (or) does the same medicine cost less in Canada because individual has to bear 100% cost. I am confused.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk13 View Post
Hello All,

We have almost decided to move to Windsor Ontario, and commute to work to Detroit. Already I got lots of information from various forum members and thanks a lot for that.

One final question which is bothering me is about Healthcare. In US I paying around 1000$+ for monthly insurance plans.
The main threat for your health would be driving into a bad neighbourhood in Detroit and not the Canadian healthcare system.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I will tell you the secret to get the absolutely best healthcare in Canada. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease". I personally have cost the Ontario healthcare system millions of dollars because of some serious accidents and illnesses. Dealing with the system is not a lot different than dealing with a lot of other services. I was told I would have to wait 3 months for an MRI and I had it done in 3 days. I was told the waiting period for cochlear implants was 5 years. I had two of them in a year. I was told there was no solution for my smashed shoulder. I tracked down the world's top shoulder surgeon in Toronto and he fixed it. Do your research, demand the best treatment and don't take no for an answer.
Thanks for sharing the secret. Sure, will do that.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The main threat for your health would be driving into a bad neighbourhood in Detroit and not the Canadian healthcare system.
You mean threat for 'Life' or 'Health'?

if the threat is for 'Life' then I could understand it (crime, and other things),

but if the threat is for 'Health'? ... then any particular reason you are implying here like pollution?

Old 03-09-2015, 04:02 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk13 View Post
Thanks for the reply!

So from your reply, I could see that it works with few exceptions. I like the idea of walk-in clinics. And I believe Ontario health care does not cover prescribed drugs which kind of scares me.

For example: In US for my eye allergy medicine, I pay 35$ copay, and insurance pays 350$ per refill. And same with my wife medicine. Now if I have to get same medicine in Canada, I end up paying 400$ (or) does the same medicine cost less in Canada because individual has to bear 100% cost. I am confused.
Well, firstly, most Rx are way less money here than in the USA. Secondly, Most employers have health insurance coverage for those things not covered by the province. In a worst case scenario, the province has a plan called the "Trillium plan" that pays for drugs for those who can't afford them.

Ontario Provincial Health Plan Fact Sheet
Your Ontario Health Insurance Plan Provides:
Prescription Drugs • Coverage under the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan Program for seniors and Social
Assistance recipients only. Covers drugs listed on the Ontario drug formulary.
Seniors must pay the first $100 in prescription costs. Once this has been
satisfied, seniors must pay the first $6.11 for each prescription.
• Catastrophic coverage under the Trillium Drug Program after a deductible
(paid in quarterly installments) has been satisfied. The deductible is based on
family net income. Once this has been satisfied, households must pay up to
$2.00 for each prescription.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well, firstly, most Rx are way less money here than in the USA. Secondly, Most employers have health insurance coverage for those things not covered by the province. In a worst case scenario, the province has a plan called the "Trillium plan" that pays for drugs for those who can't afford them.

Ontario Provincial Health Plan Fact Sheet
Your Ontario Health Insurance Plan Provides:
Prescription Drugs • Coverage under the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan Program for seniors and Social
Assistance recipients only. Covers drugs listed on the Ontario drug formulary.
Seniors must pay the first $100 in prescription costs. Once this has been
satisfied, seniors must pay the first $6.11 for each prescription.
• Catastrophic coverage under the Trillium Drug Program after a deductible
(paid in quarterly installments) has been satisfied. The deductible is based on
family net income. Once this has been satisfied, households must pay up to
$2.00 for each prescription.

Since I am planning to work in Detroit for US employer, I don't have the employer coverage, and since Rx prices are less compared to US then it should be fine as long as I can afford it. In case, I can't then 'Trillium' may cover in catastrophic situations. perfect.

Ok now I understood the benefit of Canada healthcare. If you take care of your body through basic regular maintenance like exercise, and healthy food habits, then Govt. will take care of any unexpected major or minor things, and your life will be very happy and healthy.

And

It is totally different in US. I exercise regularly, and spend more money for healthy food choices, but still I pay $1000+ per month health insurance coverage because of fear of hospital charges, just in case, if anything unexpected happens.

So does it mean Canada cares about its citizens and residents health more than US? if so, it makes sense to contribute to Canada economy. mmm ... need to do serious thinking here ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada