Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 02:49 PM

498 posts, read 543,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
What province do you live in? My figures come from what my friend in BC told me. He told me it's different depending on the province.

Anyway, I wouldn't go to Canada expecting handouts. I just want to live in a country that doesn't punish people for trying to improve their standard of living.
The left winged parties in Canada do seek to punish those who want to increase their standard of living.

"Tax the rich" is their war cry. However their idea of rich is far from rich.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
I've been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons twice and I took meds from the age of 7 to 21 so I wonder if that's why my claim was accepted. Are you saying in Canada that unless you're intellectually deficient or physically disabled you get nothing? Because I have a friend who is even more eloquent and far more social than me in BC and he gets very generous benefits, and I don't think he's required to work either.
What exactly is your friend's diagnosis? Is he mentally disabled or is he mentally ill? There is a difference.

If you have been hospitalized twice and had to take meds for 14 years for psychiatric reasons then you are mentally ill, you are not mentally disabled.

Adult citizens in Canada who are not mentally and/or physically disabled or ill may be eligible for social assistance benefits for a number of reasons but ALWAYS only for a very limited period of time.

Quote:
You're right, I'm very eloquent but it doesn't mean I'm not legitimately disabled. I bet you'd find many of the very quiet autistic people you work with are excellent writers. Like I said in other threads though, I want to work, I just can't handle abusive conditions and employers often get impatient with my slowness to learn certain tasks. At my last job I was way too spacey to excel and do a good job, I resigned because I knew I'd just be a burden on them. I tried as hard as I could and it wasn't good enough so I hope I can find something I can handle soon. I wouldn't go to Canada just to collect the dole but it does disappoint me they only admit rocket surgeons into their country unless you come from a place where "legitimate poverty" exists.
What have been the results of your skills assessments? If you haven't had skills assessments done, why not?

Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM

52 posts, read 62,064 times
@Vasteele: Asperger's Syndrome does not necessarily entitle one to benefits or disability support in Canada. We scale people on functionality and if they're on the upper end of the spectrum which you certainly appear to be they don't qualify for any services or government money. Asperger's is a "syndrome" which is a combination of many different traits and behaviours which doesn't necessarily make a person disabled just "different". The only people on the Autism spectrum qualifying for disability here are the low functioning severely disabled kinds of people or those with co-morbid mental health problems.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
I don't really agree with that, I think it's a haughty attitude to have. I just think it's ridiculous how hard the points system is - basically if you're not a French-speaking rocket scientist there's no way you can pass that test.
hmmm

English -> 24 points
College degree, say BBA in human resources -> 21 points
Less than 35 years old -> 12 points
= 57 points

then you need either
(1) an arranged job = 15 points (10 + 5 under adaptability)
or
(2) 2 years experience in one of the 50 jobs on the FSW list (for example: human resources management) = 11 points

Either one is enough to get 67+ points.

If English is your first language, knowledge of French is worth 4 points at most. A rocket scientist with a Ph.D. would only have 4 more points than any BS/BA holder, i.e. 2 years in a job for which Canada has a need is better than a French-speaking rocket scientist.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan33068 View Post
Get a degree and have $25,000-$30,000 dollars [If you are single more if you have a spouse and children] liquid in an account and speak some French I am sure you will have no difficulty in emigrating to Canada.
You only need $2100 per person. Been there done that.

And Canada is one of the easiest countries to immigrate to. As long as you have a good score on their point-based selection system, you're in permanently.

Or try a TN visa since you're american.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:00 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada benefits from the U.S military protection (if anyone ever attacked Canada America would be the one to defend Canada without question) and we are their biggest trading partner. In my opinion, they owe us the chance to live in Canada.
True in a way except for the last sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88 View Post
Canada could surely allow someone like you or I to live there. They let thousands of third world people into their country who leach off of them and are absolutely useless to their economy yet they make Americans jump through hoops to even have a chance at attaining citizenship.
Canada does not allow third world people to come and leech off, where did you get that ? The people from africa or the middle east or asia who live in Canada are on average more educated than the native canadians. Go to Vancouver and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen88
They let thousands of third world people into their country who leach off of them and are absolutely useless to their economy yet they make Americans jump through hoops to even have a chance at attaining citizenship.
Obviously all these 3rd world people had the wherewithal to find a way to successfully get through Canadas immigration process and are now living in Canada, they didnt sit on their butts playing the blame game and whining on a forum about how unfair life is .
Face it IQ88 its not Canadas fault that you dont have enough qualifications to be a Canadian,

Last edited by jambo101; 01-01-2015 at 04:08 AM..

Old 01-01-2015, 05:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Obviously all these 3rd world people had the wherewithal to find a way to successfully get through Canadas immigration process and are now living in Canada, they didnt sit on their butts playing the blame game and whining on a forum about how unfair life is .
Face it IQ88 its not Canadas fault that you dont have enough qualifications to be a Canadian,
Oooooh .....(.IQ..)...I saw what you did there Jambo......

Old 01-01-2015, 07:10 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I think one should have the debate skills of at least a 10th grader to move to Canada. So far I haven't seen that in this thread.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
How about a retired American spending the summers >6 mo/yr in the Maritimes? Does this require a special visa or similar paperwork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada